Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend a way better take advantage of unlimited data

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-23-13, 11:22 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

recently upgraded to Galaxy s4 with unlimited data. I'm a normal user and consistently clocking in under 2GB of use. I kind of feel like I'm not taking advantage of unlimited. Some sites were saying there were games that were data hogs. I don't stream music or movies much... Any recommendations to log in some respectable data use?
Old 07-23-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Recommend a way better take advantage of unlimited data

what's your provider? unlimited might not truly mean unlimited. you may start to get throttled after a certain point.
Old 07-23-13, 11:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Old 07-23-13, 11:52 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

verizon. Im grandfathered from the old plan. I want to at least be using 5GB or so. I just want to take better advantage of it.
Old 07-23-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

streaming music is an easy way, since you can do it pretty much anywhere. root your phone and get a program that turns your phone into a wifi hotspot. use it that way. outside of streaming video, those are probably two of the more data intensive tasks you could do.
Old 07-23-13, 12:08 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I have sat radio in my car and use home internet or work wifi for everything else.

Recommend any good games that use a lot of data?
Old 07-23-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

None.

Games like Simpsons Tapped Out, or any that requires constant connectivity use data, but nothing compares to video streaming. ESPN, Netflix, HBO Go, etc.

And yeah, most, all?, providers will throttle your connection, in AT&T is 5 GB, Verizon may be even lower.
Old 07-23-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is no such thing as unlimited cell data. The providers all start throttling service after a set amount and there are hidden absolute caps. It's a marketing term that some people respond to.
Old 07-23-13, 01:44 PM
Banned by request

As D.Pham can tell you, the old grandfathered Verizon plans are unlimited until you hit an obscene amount of GB (over 50 GB at least). T-Mobile and Sprint are also unlimited, although I have heard of someone using 89 GB getting cut off from Sprint.

Netflix and Hulu would probably be your best bet if you don't want to root your phone and make it a hotspot. Also, Spotify has an "extreme quality" option for phone streaming that uses more data.

But who cares how much data you use? You've got the unlimited, so if you do end up using more data through regular usage, you won't get dinged for it. If you use less, that's okay too. What's the data price for unlimited? $30? 2 GB of Verizon data is currently $60(!!!!). So you're still paying half for the same amount of data if you only use 2 GB.
Old 07-23-13, 02:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, just use your phone how you naturally use it. Don't try to force yourself to use more data. What's the point of that?
I have an "unlimited" plan that throttles after 5GB, but I've never ever reached that limit. I think I hit 3.5GB one month. I use it as a wifi hotspot occasionally. I stream music all the time. I watch youtube videos once in awhile.
Old 07-23-13, 02:33 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I have friends who are constantly going over 2GB but they mostly waste data on facebook and youtube. Thought I could find something more worthwhile to take advantage of--games or whatever.
Old 07-23-13, 04:20 PM
Banned by request

Just use your phone as you want to use it. The data will add up however it adds up. The nice thing is you don't have to worry about how much data you are or aren't using, because your unlimited is cheaper than any of the tiered data plans.
Old 07-23-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have gone a lot more than 50gb. And the last day of the cycle is add fast as the first. Also, if you were to lose unlimited, the 2gb tier is $30 for the family share our individual plans, both legacy of course.

You don't need to root your phone, i can use the stock hot spot app, but need to activate it with a third party widget in my note 2. My s3 was the same. If your phone didn't support this, there are third party apps, Verizon was fined by the fcc for blocking tethering apps, well more like a slap in the hand.

To answer the question, download games or using it as a hotspot can use a lot of data

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
As D.Pham can tell you, the old grandfathered Verizon plans are unlimited until you hit an obscene amount of GB (over 50 GB at least). T-Mobile and Sprint are also unlimited, although I have heard of someone using 89 GB getting cut off from Sprint.

Netflix and Hulu would probably be your best bet if you don't want to root your phone and make it a hotspot. Also, Spotify has an "extreme quality" option for phone streaming that uses more data.

But who cares how much data you use? You've got the unlimited, so if you do end up using more data through regular usage, you won't get dinged for it. If you use less, that's okay too. What's the data price for unlimited? $30? 2 GB of Verizon data is currently $60(!!!!). So you're still paying half for the same amount of data if you only use 2 GB.
Old 07-23-13, 06:26 PM
Banned by request

By the way, I found out there is a limit to Tmo's unlimited. According to my account page, my limit for data is 9765.6 GB.
Old 07-23-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
root your phone and get a program that turns your phone into a wifi hotspot.
No need to root. Just buy the FoxFi app, which is fantastic. Every Android owner should have it.
Old 07-23-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
No need to root. Just buy the FoxFi app, which is fantastic. Every Android owner should have it.
FoxFi doesn't work for some devices, like mine (T-Mobile GS3):
http://pdanet.co/help/devices.php
Old 07-23-13, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
root your phone and get a program that turns your phone into a wifi hotspot.
You don't need to root your phone to use the hotspot. Download the app "Elixir 2 - Widgets" (it's free) and then just create a widget to the hotspot. I use that quite a bit to connect to my Nexus 7. And Verizon doesn't throttle you if you are on unlimited data and on 4glte. My bill cycle ends today and I've done just over 10GB.
Old 07-23-13, 08:01 PM
Banned by request

Also I don't think FoxFi hides the type of usage, so for Tmo and AT&T, who check for tethering, FoxFi is no good.
Old 07-23-13, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Verizon has imo the most customer friendly data plan and Hotspot plan compared to other carriers , for those on their unlimited plan. For very heavy hotspot users, Verizon unlimited hotspot plan could be way cheaper than tmo or att hotspot plan. For those who use hotspot without a plan, Verizon does not do anything if you use it, even a lot. Att and tmo may change your plan or stop you from tethering. Of course, there are other options, just that Verizon’s policy is the most customer friendly in this case

Also I don't think FoxFi hides the type of usage, so for Tmo and AT&T, who check for tethering, FoxFi is no good.
Old 07-23-13, 10:16 PM
Banned by request

It's the most customer friendly because the FCC forced their hand due to a particular slice of spectrum they have. And it's about the only customer friendly policy they have.

On Tmo, you do need to root, but once you do that, Wifi Tether for Root Users and a VPN app work just fine (presumably the same for AT&T).
Old 07-23-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The legacy family plan is pretty friendly to me too great pricing for my particular needs. Of course, overall Verizon plans are more expensive just speaking in my specific situation

I just have to wonder though, if tmobile network ever would surpass Verizon, if they would maintain the same customer friendly policies.

It's the most customer friendly because the FCC forced their hand due to a particular slice of spectrum they have. And it's about the only customer friendly policy they have.

On Tmo, you do need to root, but once you do that, Wifi Tether for Root Users and a VPN app work just fine (presumably the same for AT&T).

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 07-23-13 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-23-13, 11:49 PM
Banned by request

You asked me that already, and I said if they became less consumer friendly, I would reconsider my options. I'm certainly not going to go with a company that is less consumer friendly now because the company that is friendlier might be less so in the future. And I'm not going to pay someone hundreds of dollars to get myself on an unlimited plan that the carrier is going to try and get me off of at the first opportunity, and one where I have to maintain dummy lines just to upgrade my phone.
Old 07-24-13, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course, in your case, Verizon is more expensive, so it makes sense, since you prioritize customer friendly policies.

Personally, I prioritize the network, and at this point Verizon has the best total network coverage. As a bonus, for my situation, Verizon also is the cheapest, though for many people it isn't. Luckily for me, I have people who can use dumb phones... It works out great for me since I can use their upgrades and push my unlimited upgrade to their line. Kinda like my own version of jump/next/edge. For my uses, Verizon is cheaper than tmo edge, but obviously my uses are atypical.

You asked me that already, and I said if they became less consumer friendly, I would reconsider my options. I'm certainly not going to go with a company that is less consumer friendly now because the company that is friendlier might be less so in the future. And I'm not going to pay someone hundreds of dollars to get myself on an unlimited plan that the carrier is going to try and get me off of at the first opportunity, and one where I have to maintain dummy lines just to upgrade my phone.

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 07-24-13 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-24-13, 09:12 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I had no idea they didn't crack down on tethering, or that I didn't have to root.. Awesome. Thanks guys!