Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How much difference does the Retina screen really make?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-16-13, 12:37 PM
Banned

I am seriously considering buying an iPad. This would be my first tablet. I am trying to decide between the iPad 2 or the Retina iPad. The iPad 2 is dirt cheap now, even the 64 GB model could be found for ~$300. How much difference does the Retina really make? Is it really worth the extra money?
Old 05-16-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: How much difference does the Retina screen really make?

You're the only person that can really decide that. Just go to your nearest Apple store (or Best Buy, or Target) and check it out. I think if you've never used a Retina screen, it won't be that big a deal. But if you've used one, it's hard to go back. It does take much longer to charge a Retina iPad.
Old 05-16-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It made a big difference for me. I can easily tell the difference when I use my gf's iPad2. If you're thinking about the 2, I'd suggest getting the mini. Same screen resolution with a higher pixel density due to the smaller size.
Old 05-16-13, 12:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
You're the only person that can really decide that. Just go to your nearest Apple store (or Best Buy, or Target) and check it out. I think if you've never used a Retina screen, it won't be that big a deal. But if you've used one, it's hard to go back. It does take much longer to charge a Retina iPad.
The nearest Apple store to me is ~50 miles. I wasn't aware that other stores carried the iPad though. I may check Best Buy since there is one close to me. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
It made a big difference for me. I can easily tell the difference when I use my gf's iPad2. If you're thinking about the 2, I'd suggest getting the mini. Same screen resolution with a higher pixel density due to the smaller size.
The Mini is smaller though. I would rather have a bigger screen with slightly less pixel density, especially since comic books will be one of my primary uses, and I hear comics aren't well suited for small screen tablets. Also, one of the primary reasons I am even considering the iPad 2 is because it is so cheap. A 64 GB iPad 2 is ~$300 and a 64 GB Mini is ~$600, so that completely defeats the price consideration. If price wasn't a consideration, I would just get an iPad 3 for a little more.
Old 05-16-13, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me, it's like watching TV in HD vs non-HD. Get the retina version.
Old 05-16-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Comparing them side by side, it's a huge difference.
Old 05-16-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm, I've never noticed the difference between my wife's iPad 2 and my 3.
Old 05-16-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you don't mind refurbished, You can get the new ipad instead of the ipad with retina display, since the new ipad also has a retina display. The refurbished ipad, if bought from apple, comes with a new shell and battery and full one year warranty.

To me, the difference is pretty obvious and substantial, but I know some people who don't care about the retina display.
Old 05-16-13, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
If you don't mind refurbished, You can get the new ipad instead of the ipad with retina display, since the new ipad also has a retina display. The refurbished ipad, if bought from apple, comes with a new shell and battery and full one year warranty.

To me, the difference is pretty obvious and substantial, but I know some people who don't care about the retina display.
That's what I did. I bought the 3rd gen refurb from Apple last fall after the 4th gen came out. I think it was $369, IIRC.
Old 05-16-13, 03:35 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I purchased a certified refurb from the apple store -- iPad 3 for $379. The retina display is awesome. It is our first iPad so I have never seen a non-retina display. however here is the resolution difference....correct me if I am wrong:

iPad 2 -- 1024 x 768
Retina -- 2048 by 1536

That is a big difference.
Old 05-16-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a big difference, whether you notice or not is all on you.
Old 05-16-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It's a big difference, whether you notice or not is all on you.
Very true. I knew people who use very low non optimal resolution on their lcd monitors. It looks horrible a nd fuzzy, but that's the way they like it. I tried cranking up the resolution, but the didn't like it.
Old 05-16-13, 05:50 PM

"Why did you make everything on the screen smaller?"

"I set it to the monitor's native resolution."

"Well, I don't like it, change it back!"
Old 05-16-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh I hear that every day at work.
Old 05-16-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I posted in another thread I brought my mom a 16GB Ipad 3 for $315 from BB about 2 months ago. The Ipad 2 was about $20 less. I figured I go with the 3 because of the retina screen. My mom is 80 years old. So I guess it would be better for her eyes. Not ever owing a Ipad before I not sure what the difference is. By S-N-L and my niece have the Ipad 1. She said she can see the difference in the retina display.

My Mom hardly touched it for the first month. Not sure why maybe because of the technology. Any way she has been using it more but mostly for games. She plays Bejeweled Blitz which comes installed on it. The problem is that sometimes when she plays this came 4.5 to 5 hours straight. The battery is almost completely. Is this normal. My S-N-L says that is normal. I told her I thought there was a problem with it. It also runs kind of warm. And as someone mention above it takes a long time to charge especially when charging from less than 5%. Takes over 6 hours to charge.
Old 05-16-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DynamicKnight View Post

I changed the font size, and even then, they didn't like it. Luckily my work finally started pushing win 7 which defaults to native resolution
Old 05-17-13, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like 3GS vs 4S HUGE difference.

Very true. I knew people who use very low non optimal resolution on their lcd monitors. It looks horrible a nd fuzzy, but that's the way they like it. I tried cranking up the resolution, but the didn't like it.
YEARS ago I dealt with a family system, it fit the screen okay yet it was huge and not the optical resolution so I fixed it and it will be a bit smaller.

Then your reply, sorry I cannot support idiocy.

Kind of like pan and scan DVD's, sorry I will not support the abomination to film.

Of course we have people that buy 1080P televisions, toss on SD DVD's that are pan and scan and stretch them......NO WORDS!!! No, just NO!!!

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Old 05-17-13, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One thing to consider is the charging time. If you charge overnight, then it doesn't really matter. But if you charge mid day, the new ipad and ipad 2 has the same charger, but the new ipad has a much larger battery to support the retina display, hence will charge slower. In fact, the charger for the new ipad is the same size as that of my phone, although at 3100mah,my phone battery is on the larger side. On comparison though, the new ipad battery is 11,666 mah, about 40% larger than the ipad 2.

The ipad with retina display does have a larger charger.
Old 05-17-13, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
I posted in another thread I brought my mom a 16GB Ipad 3 for $315 from BB about 2 months ago. The Ipad 2 was about $20 less. I figured I go with the 3 because of the retina screen. My mom is 80 years old. So I guess it would be better for her eyes. Not ever owing a Ipad before I not sure what the difference is. By S-N-L and my niece have the Ipad 1. She said she can see the difference in the retina display.

My Mom hardly touched it for the first month. Not sure why maybe because of the technology. Any way she has been using it more but mostly for games. She plays Bejeweled Blitz which comes installed on it. The problem is that sometimes when she plays this came 4.5 to 5 hours straight. The battery is almost completely. Is this normal. My S-N-L says that is normal. I told her I thought there was a problem with it. It also runs kind of warm. And as someone mention above it takes a long time to charge especially when charging from less than 5%. Takes over 6 hours to charge.
The 3 was known to have some slow charging issues, not sure if that changed on the 4 or not. The iPad 2 refresh that came out when the iPad 4 came out has spectacular battery life.

I can tell the difference easily on the screens and would only buy the Retina myself, but I'm also a tech geek.

I bought my 65 year old mother an iPad 2 for Mothers Day last year, she similarly barely used it at first (initially I bought it for her as a digital cookbook and some English learning programs) and was kind of offended I spent so much on it. First time really ever using a computer device.

Then she discovered PPS.TV (for Taiwanese programming) and a few "real", competitive Mahjong games and now never puts the thing down. Literally, never. Tai Chi in the morning. Cooking Shows in the afternoon, Mahjong at night. She also sends e-mails constantly (which has helped her English, a lot.).

Last edited by RichC2; 05-17-13 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-17-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still use my first gen iPad, because it is basically just used as a portable web browser. But I'm considering an upgrade myself. The retina makes a huge difference. The 1024x768 screens are very low res, and have a pretty severe 'screen door' effect. Honestly I would go with a Retina iPad. It might cost you a few hundred more, but you will probably keep it longer. 'Retina' resolutions are the future of computing.
Old 05-17-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post

What is your brightness set at? Try turning it down to 50%, to see if there is any difference. 6 hours to charge the new ipad is about right. You can buy the charger that came with the ipad with retina display, to cut maybe 30-45 minutes from the charging time.
Old 05-17-13, 10:11 AM

Wait for the iPad Mini 2 with Retina display. I bring my iPad 3 everywhere I go and cannot wait to get it in a smaller form factor.
Old 05-17-13, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
Then your reply, sorry I cannot support idiocy.

Kind of like pan and scan DVD's, sorry I will not support the abomination to film.

Of course we have people that buy 1080P televisions, toss on SD DVD's that are pan and scan and stretch them......NO WORDS!!! No, just NO!!!
Those kind of people can't be reasoned with. It's like when my friends couldn't understand why I would be against watching any non-anamorphic DVDs on a widescreen TV.

What is your brightness set at? Try turning it down to 50%, to see if there is any difference. 6 hours to charge the new ipad is about right. You can buy the charger that came with the ipad with retina display, to cut maybe 30-45 minutes from the charging time.
I have an iPhone, not an iPad, but yeah. 50% is good enough for any indoor enviroment, the only time I put it at max is if i'm in direct sunlight and I want to actually see the screen at all.
Old 05-17-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Can you tell the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray?
Old 05-17-13, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those kind of people can't be reasoned with. It's like when my friends couldn't understand why I would be against watching any non-anamorphic DVDs on a widescreen TV.
One time I said I wanted to find the correct edition of a film before watching it because I was not going to watch the hacked up version. 2:40 down to 4:3 pan and scan? NO!!! Ratio snob? YES!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.