Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Stupid Google/Gmail/Android questions

Old 02-06-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stupid Google/Gmail/Android questions

I'm changing ISPs so I'm going to try moving to gmail as my main email.
I already have a gmail and use it mostly for calendar, but I don't like the ID so I created a new one. As inclusive and all-encompassing as Google is, I'm noticing some things that are actually sort of a pain, unless I'm missing something.

I have added Profile A's calendar to Profile B (new one) and gave B sharing and creation rights.

I have 3 calendars visible on my phone - A, B, and another shared calendar (S) that was created by A, but that B has full rights to (and someone else is sharing S).

* Can I change the color of the calendar items for B or S on my phone? They are very very similar colors and that is not a good thing.

* How do I delete calendars on my phone? There are some that are either defunct or that I don't have access to anymore (or don't care about).

* Using the Gmail app on my phone - because it's, you know, there - if I read one mail then delete it, it takes me back to the inbox. I want to go to the next mail. Can this happen?

* Does Gmail use folders? I want to delete a bunch of mail, and some I want to keep, but I don't want it to be in my inbox. Is this what the Conversation thing is for?

* Can I delete a bunch of emails at once from the phone?

* I have added my contacts to profile A. Can I easily transfer them to profile B?

* While signing in from A to B and vice versa, I saw something saying 'add account'. What exactly does this do?

* At home I use Outlook as my email reader (I'm used to it and like the filing and stuff. Gmail's interfaces, web and phone, just have not clicked with me yet.) Can Outlook be set to read and send Gmail?

Any tips tricks help would be appreciated. I've had the same email addy for probably 12 years or more so this is a big step. So far it's been incredibly inconvenient.
Old 02-06-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Stupid Google/Gmail/Android questions

Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
I'm changing ISPs so I'm going to try moving to gmail as my main email.
I already have a gmail and use it mostly for calendar, but I don't like the ID so I created a new one. As inclusive and all-encompassing as Google is, I'm noticing some things that are actually sort of a pain, unless I'm missing something.

I have added Profile A's calendar to Profile B (new one) and gave B sharing and creation rights.

I have 3 calendars visible on my phone - A, B, and another shared calendar (S) that was created by A, but that B has full rights to (and someone else is sharing S).

* Can I change the color of the calendar items for B or S on my phone? They are very very similar colors and that is not a good thing.

Not sure if you can do this on the phone, but you can change the color of a calendar on the web app & it will change colors on the phone.

* How do I delete calendars on my phone? There are some that are either defunct or that I don't have access to anymore (or don't care about).

Menu button > Calendars to display > Uncheck any you don't want to see

* Using the Gmail app on my phone - because it's, you know, there - if I read one mail then delete it, it takes me back to the inbox. I want to go to the next mail. Can this happen?

Menu button > Settings > General settings > Auto advance > Change from "concersation list to "Newer"

* Does Gmail use folders? I want to delete a bunch of mail, and some I want to keep, but I don't want it to be in my inbox. Is this what the Conversation thing is for?

Labels

* Can I delete a bunch of emails at once from the phone?
On my version of Gmail, I can select indivisual emails (check box on left hjand side of each email) then hit the trash can & batch delete

* I have added my contacts to profile A. Can I easily transfer them to profile B?

This one I don't know.

* While signing in from A to B and vice versa, I saw something saying 'add account'. What exactly does this do?

you can have a ton of different Gmail accounts on one phone.

* At home I use Outlook as my email reader (I'm used to it and like the filing and stuff. Gmail's interfaces, web and phone, just have not clicked with me yet.) Can Outlook be set to read and send Gmail?

yep. Check here: https://support.google.com/mail/bin/....cs&ts=1668960

Any tips tricks help would be appreciated. I've had the same email addy for probably 12 years or more so this is a big step. So far it's been incredibly inconvenient.