Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iTunes questions

Old 01-11-13, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

iTunes questions

I recently picked up Naxos Audiobooks fantastic Complete Sherlock Holmes CD set. It was significantly expensive, as CD audiobooks are apparently all bit dead, as evidenced by my inability to find a number of others I want. But it was worth it, and I've finall uploaded all 60 discs into iTunes. As I always do when uploading audiobooks into iTunes, I've set up a playlist to keep things in order (I can't imagine I'm the first person who ever stumbled across this idea, but it's worked fine for me with most books). Unfortunately, probably to sell the individual packages, the stories themselves are not in order (Incidentally, whoever load them into the database is schizo; some discs which should theoretically be from the same set have different names and sometimes even different names for the discs themselves, sometimes the name of the story is in the track name, sometimes not, it's generally insane.). As the chronology between the original stories is notoriously poor, this shouldn't be hugely important, and if you're a normal, well-adjust person who gets laid once in a while, you probably won't mind, but it bugged me. I've arranged them in the playlists in the proper order (which took way more effort than it should have), but to broaden the topic in general, is there a different way to go about importing audiobooks? I have a couple of others where each chapter is a individual track, leaving me with 60 minute tracks, and if I were to lose my place I wouldn't be able to click off like I could with a regular audiobook and then click on and pick up. Is there any way to convert the tracks while keeping them organized? I remember reading once upon a time that when importing a CD, you could "join" the tracks, then change the media type. I can't find the "join" option on th accursed new version of iTunes, and in any case, it wouldn't work for the Holmes stuff unless I could go to the actual imported groups of tracks rather than the discs themselves and join each story individually.

On tangential note, in my futile quest to find some of the old audiobooks I'm looking for on CD, I've found that Amazon apparently does carry digital downloads (presumably through Audible, evidently the new biggest name in audiobooks), and some for pretty darn low prices, but Amazon's iphoke app and mobile site won't let me buy them, leading me to believe that these are in a format iTunes doesn't support and that the prices are indeed too good to be true.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 01-11-13 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: iTunes questions

I import audiobooks all the time. Import the files (need to be in a format itunes recognizes. If not I use a program called sound taxi to convert) then under the "Recently Added" playlist select all the files for one book, right click, change media type to "Audiobook", check the box part of compilation, and the box for remember position. Add cover art as necessary.

Audible is itunes compatible, two ways. One is you buy the audibooks on the amazon or audible website. You can then either download the files using the download manager where you can set a preference to auto import into itunes.

Or you can apparently use the audible app and stream/download directly on our iOS device. (I havent tried this option)
Old 01-11-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I do when importing audiobooks is join the tracks. Then you have 1 file/track per disc. I then label each one as Part-01 - Part-XY. Works fine for me. You can import them as mp3, but you have to remember to set the type as audiobook and check the "remember position." If you import them as .m4a then you can change the file extension to .m4b and it will already see them as audiobook and you won't have to change the type and position once you re-import them. The way I do it, you don't have 300 files and a playlist, just a file per disc and you just label the track X of Y where Y is the total number of discs, etc. Then when you load the book it will play it in order, etc.
Old 01-15-13, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cseyer View Post
I import audiobooks all the time. Import the files (need to be in a format itunes recognizes. If not I use a program called sound taxi to convert) then under the "Recently Added" playlist select all the files for one book, right click, change media type to "Audiobook", check the box part of compilation, and the box for remember position. Add cover art.
I usually just import it off of CDs. That iTunes offers such great prices on so many books and I still want CDs indicates to me that there might be something very wrong with my brain. Can I change it back to music? How do I know how to order them once they're audiobooks? How does iTunes know which complications are which.

Originally Posted by shumway View Post
What I do when importing audiobooks is join the tracks. Then you have 1 file/track per disc. I then label each one as Part-01 - Part-XY. Works fine for me. You can import them as mp3, but you have to remember to set the type as audiobook and check the "remember position." If you import them as .m4a then you can change the file extension to .m4b and it will already see them as audiobook and you won't have to change the type and position once you re-import them. The way I do it, you don't have 300 files and a playlist, just a file per disc and you just label the track X of Y where Y is the total number of discs, etc. Then when you load the book it will play it in order, etc.
Can I join the track after the fact or does it have to be when I upload the CD? Like I said, the stories are in the wrong order.
Old 01-16-13, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=hanshotfirst113;11541811]I usually just import it off of CDs. That iTunes offers such great prices on so many books and I still want CDs indicates to me that there might be something very wrong with my brain. Can I change it back to music? How do I know how to order them once they're audiobooks? How does iTunes know which complications are which.

I am personally done with CD's both with music and audiobooks. Yes you can change any of the metedata for your files.

You can order them by putting track number information in. I never have to do this as the files already have this information. But you can change it in the "edit info" tabs. You select the files that are part of the compilation by doing a multi select just like selecting multi files in windows hold the shift key or the ctrl key. You can then edit all the files for one book at the same time and select part of compilation. Since about version 9 of itunes you no longer have to have the files in the apple audiobook (m4b) format to tag them as audiobooks. You do have to have them in a apple format or mp3, WMA files must be converted as itunes does not recognize or play them.
Old 01-16-13, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Label them CD 1, 2, 3, 4... of 60 etc. and then each file per cd Track 1, 2, 3, 4.... of however many tracks on that CD etc.
Old 01-16-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 View Post
I usually just import it off of CDs. That iTunes offers such great prices on so many books and I still want CDs indicates to me that there might be something very wrong with my brain. Can I change it back to music? How do I know how to order them once they're audiobooks? How does iTunes know which complications are which.

Can I join the track after the fact or does it have to be when I upload the CD? Like I said, the stories are in the wrong order.
What cseyer says is correct. You can only join them within iTunes when you import them. There is software that can join audio files for you as well. Some are free, some not.
Old 01-25-13, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shumway View Post
What cseyer says is correct. You can only join them within iTunes when you import them. There is software that can join audio files for you as well. Some are free, some not.
Like I said, I can't do it when I import them, because they're out of order.
Old 02-07-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, so I've learned how to join tracks and convert them into audiobooks, is there any way to get all of the discs in an audiobook together into one book?
Old 02-08-13, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only way I've ever found to do that is to rip the CD tracks into WAV or MP3 files, join the files together using one of the many free sound file editors out there, and then save them as a single MP3, which can then be imported and into iTunes and converted to an audiobook. I've done this numerous times.
Old 02-18-13, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should be able to "join" them in iTunes without having to actually create one monster mp3 file. This might be quicker and less of a hassle.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0