Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need a phone/plan for my 10 year old - advice?

Old 12-21-12, 09:34 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Need a phone/plan for my 10 year old - advice?

We don't want to give her a smart phone, just something for calls and mostly texting.

Been getting confused by all the different options in providers and plans available. What do you all use for your kids?

We mainly want something good for texting, both in terms of the phone and the plan. She'd probably only use 100 minutes of talk time a month max.
Old 12-21-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Need a phone/plan for my 10 year old - advice?

Best two options:
- If you are in a family plan, or can go into a family plan, just do that. Add a phone, it can be "free", or you can buy a cheap one, used or new.
- Go with one of the regional providers, depends on where you are located, but most have really good plans if you don't care about data.
Old 12-21-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you already have a family share plan, you can add her to it. For verizon, the legacy family share plan allows you to add a line for $10 additional per month, since you don't need data on that line, no additional charge for it. You will have to pay tax, which depends on your area, but for me, it is $4-5 additional. The nice thing about this is free in network calling. There are a number of free or near free phones, if you are willing to sign a 2 year contract. You will have to pay a little more for texting

For prepaid options, keep in mind that the minutes rated are for minutes only, texting is usually around 5 cents, and will reduce the minute allowance.

If you already have a spare dumb phone on Verizon, you can use page plus, a verizon mvno, pay $80 for 2000 minutes which last a year

If you want tmo, they have a 1000 minutes for $100 a year, and cheap phones.

H2o,a att mvno, offers 2000 minutes for $100 a year.

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 12-21-12 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-21-12, 10:01 AM

Get her a smart phone, but make it Windows. In twenty years, she'll be posting about it in some "Worst Christmas Ever" thread.

I was going to suggest Blackberry, but decided that would be too cruel.
Old 12-21-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does she need unlimited texting?

I assume you are asking because you don't already have a family cell plan that you can just add a line too

The texting is the difficult part if she is going to send a ton of them. My 13 yr old is on a plan that does not exist anymore with unlimited texting (I can still use it because I am already on it, but no new signups)

I have been thinking about switching her to Kajeet

http://www.kajeet.com/4u/index.html

The unlimited texting and parental controls (all for about $25 month) are what interest me the most about this service. The phones can be a little pricey (expect a 10 yr old to break at least one)
Old 12-21-12, 10:50 AM

Family plan isn't an option, I'm pretty sure. Jen is in a family plan with other family already, and they have the max number of phones in it already. I'm grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited, and I'm pretty sure that adding someone would lose my unlimited data.
Old 12-21-12, 10:54 AM

Old 12-21-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had unlimited data in at&t for 3 years, and then added my wife and daughter into a family plan. We share minutes (600 or so) and unlimited texts. Data plans are separate, my wife has the 3GB plan and my daughter no data plan. Basically my data plan continue to be unlimited, they just weren't able to get it.

I would check with at&t just to be sure. Although if you want the cheapest option, since you are only adding one line, at&t family plan may not be the best option.
Old 12-21-12, 11:19 AM
X
Administrator

I wouldn't get a 10 year old a phone, but if you need it for security reasons so she can get ahold of you when it's important, I'd get one that can have only a few specific phone numbers able to be dialed and the rest blocked.
Old 12-21-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
I had unlimited data in at&t for 3 years, and then added my wife and daughter into a family plan. We share minutes (600 or so) and unlimited texts. Data plans are separate, my wife has the 3GB plan and my daughter no data plan. Basically my data plan continue to be unlimited, they just weren't able to get it.

I would check with at&t just to be sure. Although if you want the cheapest option, since you are only adding one line, at&t family plan may not be the best option.

That's correct. You can add a line without affecting unlimited data on grandfathered lines.
Originally Posted by X View Post
I wouldn't get a 10 year old a phone, but if you need it for security reasons so she can get ahold of you when it's important, I'd get one that can have only a few specific phone numbers able to be dialed and the rest blocked.
Most phones can do that. Just set the few numbers that you want to be able to call as ICE and set a password on the phone. Even without unlocking, you should be able to call 911 and ICE numbers.
Old 12-21-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Used old Verizon phone + Page Plus Cellular $12/mo plan (250 minutes/250 text/10mb data - it uses Verizon's network so coverage everywhere).

I gave my old Droid Incredible to friends to use on there, they use it for trips.
Old 12-21-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Used old Verizon phone + Page Plus Cellular $12/mo plan (250 minutes/250 text/10mb data - it uses Verizon's network so coverage everywhere).

I gave my old Droid Incredible to friends to use on there, they use it for trips.
One thing to note is that if it is a 4glte phone, then getting it onto page plus is difficult and obviously no 4glte on pp. 3G postpaid phones should be fine. Prepaid Verizon phones are a no go.
Old 12-21-12, 03:22 PM

Thanks everyone! I stopped by an AT&T kiosk today and confirmed the above. It looks like adding an unlimited talk/text phone for her to my grandfathered account would cost me about $60 additional, but would add unlimited texting, which I don't have now. I turned off texting on my phone and use a google voice # for free texting, but that is sort of dickish on my part, making my friends use two different numbers.

I also like T-mobile's pay-as-you-go $15 a month plan, unlimited texting and 10 cents per minute voice.
Old 12-21-12, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Thanks everyone! I stopped by an AT&T kiosk today and confirmed the above. It looks like adding an unlimited talk/text phone for her to my grandfathered account would cost me about $60 additional, but would add unlimited texting, which I don't have now. I turned off texting on my phone and use a google voice # for free texting, but that is sort of dickish on my part, making my friends use two different numbers.

I also like T-mobile's pay-as-you-go $15 a month plan, unlimited texting and 10 cents per minute voice.
Assuming that you us 100 min, tmo is costing you $25. You can buy an iPhone on contract, sell it to make a few hundred, then buy a lower end smartphone capable of using google voice. Add her to your plan for $10 voice, plus $20 for 300 mb data and have her use google voice for text.
Old 12-22-12, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The best thing you can say to your 10-year-old is that she doesn't "need" a phone right now, her life won't end, and she can wait until she is older. The world will be better off for it.
Old 12-23-12, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
The best thing you can say to your 10-year-old is that she doesn't "need" a phone right now, her life won't end, and she can wait until she is older. The world will be better off for it.
Did that work with your kids?
Old 12-23-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Unlimited texting for sure--we weren't sure for the first kid and went unlimited, which was fortunate because of the hundreds of texts that started going through. Both my kids got the LG Xenon keyboard phone (around age 11).

Old 12-23-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ha, well it just might!! How did we ever survive as kids without cell phones / gadgets? First world problems, indeed!
Old 12-23-12, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No offense, but my kid won't get to decide what does and doesn't work for him when it comes to stuff like this.
Old 12-24-12, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
No offense, but my kid won't get to decide what does and doesn't work for him when it comes to stuff like this.
I totally agree. My parents' word was law no matter what, and that's the way it should be.

My comment was a joking jab.
Old 01-05-13, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RFID chip like i got for my dog is a better option to keep tabs on her lol!