Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Nexus 7

Old 07-17-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nexus 7

Just got this today. I LOVE this thing.

Does anyone know what format the movie Transformers that you get with it is in. I've never seen a movie look so nice.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Nexus 7

I'll be getting mine in the mail tomorrow. I use my rooted Nook Color all day long so I'm really looking forward to a new tablet with a similar feel and much better specs.
Old 07-17-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Exactly my situation. Had ICS on the nook for a bit, but it was just way too unstable and slow.

You're going to LOVE the Nexus 7.
Old 07-18-12, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I ordered one, should be here in a couple weeks. It's going to be my dev unit, fun times.
Old 07-18-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Even though I love my 9-inch tablet and have absolutely no need for a Nexus 7, I'm still really coveting one.
Old 07-18-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have an iPad (3), and still ordered a Nexus 7.

Yes, the screen looks gorgeous, the iPad looks better of course, but the difference is not that big. I actually love the size.

It's my first time using an Android device, but so far no issues trying to do basic things. Right now my only issue is that I'm used to writing in English and Spanish, in IOS I can switch keyboards on the fly, I haven't find an easy way to do this in Android.

Loving all the Android advantages so far.
Old 07-18-12, 09:04 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the iPad 2, but can't wait for my Nexus 7 to arrive.
Well, they need to ship it.
And of course, I need to buy one first.

Where can I buy one? I saw some on ebay for $299 shipped for the 16GB one (at a $50 premium).
Old 07-18-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by namja View Post
I have the iPad 2, but can't wait for my Nexus 7 to arrive.
Well, they need to ship it.
And of course, I need to buy one first.

Where can I buy one? I saw some on ebay for $299 shipped for the 16GB one (at a $50 premium).
Gamestop
Old 07-18-12, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We have an iPad 1st gen. Nothing will beat that for the wife and kids, but the Nexus 7 is exactly what I want in a tablet and I couldn't be happier (ok, i could be if they let me add an SD card, but i'm ok with that). It's the perfect size and weight to sit on the coach and read articles and surf.
Old 07-19-12, 10:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

And the world just imploded...
http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/15/omg...ally-likes-it/

I've been saying some of the same things since the Kindle Fire came out. That device was really nice, but the Nexus 7 is a few steps beyond. The ONLY thing I miss is Amazon Instant Video (now impossible to use, thanks to Dolphin Browser HD dropping Flash support last night), because I don't want to pay for videos or TV shows on Google Play. That's just my preference. To me, the 7-inch form factor is the right "middle device" between a smart phone and a laptop. This thing fits in my wife's purse (an iPad might as well, but it'd be tight... and heavier).

For anyone who wants to use Landscape mode more, I recommend Ultimate Rotation Control. You can try it free for 7 days, then buy a license for less than $3. Some apps don't like Landscape, but URC makes it very easy to turn it off.
Old 07-19-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
The ONLY thing I miss is Amazon Instant Video (now impossible to use, thanks to Dolphin Browser HD dropping Flash support last night), because I don't want to pay for videos or TV shows on Google Play.
You can use PlayOn. I haven't tried it on the go, but when i'm at home i use it to watch Amazon Video On Demand stuff (among a lot of other things). Works great. (Also works great with Wii, PS3, Xbox, etc.)

http://www.playon.tv/playon/
Old 07-19-12, 01:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks. I downloaded the PlayOn app on my PC at home, but didn't install it yet. I would HOPE that it works on the go, as that would be most ideal.
Old 07-19-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, it has settings to allow you to access it from anywhere, I just haven't tried it so I don't know the quality or anything like that.
Old 07-19-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I'm seeing now using the Nexus 7, is that the tablet market can be split. And I'm not talking about size, 10'' and 7'', but about use, usability. The 10''(9.7'') tablet should be almost a laptop replacement, if we forget that the netbooks ever existed. The 7'' tablet should be what we think what a tablet should do right now.

Examples: with a 10'' tablet you should be able to edit music/video/etc., office suite stuff, etc. I don't see myself doing most of that stuff in a 7'' tablet, but I think it's more perfect for mobile entertainment, you can carry it with one hand, like a book, the first comment from my wife was "oh, I can put that my hand bag!". I'm thinking of taking it to some places were I would never take my iPad, so it should replace mi iPhone, in use, for some cases.
Old 07-19-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
I have an iPad (3), and still ordered a Nexus 7.

Yes, the screen looks gorgeous, the iPad looks better of course, but the difference is not that big. I actually love the size.

It's my first time using an Android device, but so far no issues trying to do basic things. Right now my only issue is that I'm used to writing in English and Spanish, in IOS I can switch keyboards on the fly, I haven't find an easy way to do this in Android.

Loving all the Android advantages so far.
I do not know about the stock keyboard, but swiftkey lets you do it by swiping the space bar button.
Old 07-19-12, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
I do not know about the stock keyboard, but swiftkey lets you do it by swiping the space bar button.
Just to add my two cents, I strongly recommend using Swiftkey on Android devices. It's one paid app that is well worth the cost and is far better than any other keyboard I've tried.
Old 07-19-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will try Swiftkey.

Coming from IOS the stock keyboard in the Nexus 7 seems fine to me, except for the thing I mentioned above.
Old 07-19-12, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right now my only issue is that I'm used to writing in English and Spanish, in IOS I can switch keyboards on the fly, I haven't find an easy way to do this in Android.
I don't own any Android devices, but this site might help you. I can't vouch for the info there, but it looks pretty straightforward.
Old 07-19-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty happy with this thing, it runs silky smooth and is responsive as hell. The only minor complaint I have is the screen is slightly washed out, though that isn't unusual with new LCDs and may improve a little with time. Otherwise pretty nifty device, great size, fantastic performance.
Old 07-19-12, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I will try Swiftkey.

Coming from IOS the stock keyboard in the Nexus 7 seems fine to me, except for the thing I mentioned above.
I used to like Swiftkey, but stuck completely with the stock Android keyboard introduced in Ice Cream Sandwich and then Jelly Bean on my phone. I like the stock one better.
Old 07-19-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use swiftkey on my phone, but I wanted to try the stock keyboard on the N7. They said they improved it and I really like it so far. We'll see how long that lasts.

I go back to my original post.

Videos are just awesome. Does anyone konw the resolution and file type? (I"m assuming H.264)
Old 07-19-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I used to like Swiftkey, but stuck completely with the stock Android keyboard introduced in Ice Cream Sandwich and then Jelly Bean on my phone. I like the stock one better.
Predictions on stock ics for my usage wasn't as good as swiftkey. Then again, this is on my Touchpad. Either way,i am pretty sure swiftkey has a trial version so you can try it and the other keyboards out there to see which is best for you.
Old 07-19-12, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After playing with this thing for a few hours I have to say, if you don't like Android after using this then you can probably write off the OS entirely. I have ICS on my phone but this absolutely kills it. First purchase in a while where I haven't had some sort of buyers remorse (yet).

The tablet itself has a couple shortcomings (mainly I'm not blown away by the screen, by no means bad but not jaw dropping, the muted colors have gotten bolder with use and are now in line with what I expect from an IPS lcd) but the functionality and responsiveness is fantastic. I hope they make a 10.1 as it pisses all over my Galaxy Tab 10.1. And I don't know what they did to voice recognition but it is phenomenal on here. Apps look a lot better at this size than they do on my larger tab as well.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-19-12 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
After playing with this thing for a few hours I have to say, if you don't like Android after using this then you can probably write off the OS entirely. I have ICS on my phone but this absolutely kills it. First purchase in a while where I haven't had some sort of buyers remorse (yet).

The tablet itself has a couple shortcomings (mainly I'm not blown away by the screen, by no means bad but not jaw dropping, the muted colors have gotten bolder with use and are now in line with what I expect from an IPS lcd) but the functionality and responsiveness is fantastic. I hope they make a 10.1 as it pisses all over my Galaxy Tab 10.1. And I don't know what they did to voice recognition but it is phenomenal on here. Apps look a lot better at this size than they do on my larger tab as well.
Good stuff. I'm very happy to hear that the Transformer Infinity I ordered will be the first besides Nexus 7 to get the Jelly Bean OS update in the Asus family.
Old 07-20-12, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
Good stuff. I'm very happy to hear that the Transformer Infinity I ordered will be the first besides Nexus 7 to get the Jelly Bean OS update in the Asus family.
I'm very impressed with Jelly Bean so far and if Asus has a similar build on the Infinity as they do on this guy then you're in for an excellent tablet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.