Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

VPN Recommendation

Old 06-16-12, 07:58 AM

VPN Recommendation

Can anyone recommend a good VPN service? My primary concerns are privacy and performance. At the moment I'm leaning toward something like BTGuard, Private Internet Access, Torrent Privacy, TorGuard, ItsHidden, Ipredator, or Faceless.

Thx
Old 06-18-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: VPN Recommendation

Never used any such service myself, but here's an upcoming deal for 50% off a year of Hotspot Shield Elite:
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/h...-shield-elite/

Review:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402836,00.asp
Old 12-30-18, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Bumpity bump...

Any people here still using a VPN service and have any recommendations?
Old 12-30-18, 07:20 PM

I use Private Internet Access https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/. It works well for me.
Old 12-31-18, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on why you need a VPN?

If you really want privacy, check this one out

https://www.blackvpn.com
Old 01-02-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Private Internet Access. Cheap, works great and they don't keep logs (if that bothers you).
Old 01-02-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I use some vpn that had some lifetime subscription, but a question: how do you really vet a vpn? Sure you could comb through their privacy policies, make sure they have servers in regions where laws are less stringent, etc., but how do you really know they're not keeping logs or selling data or whatever, and that they won't sell out to another company that will?
Old 01-02-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I use some vpn that had some lifetime subscription, but a question: how do you really vet a vpn? Sure you could comb through their privacy policies, make sure they have servers in regions where laws are less stringent, etc., but how do you really know they're not keeping logs or selling data or whatever, and that they won't sell out to another company that will?
A VPN isn't a guarantee of privacy but it is better than giving everything up to your ISP. Like anything, this comes down to the almighty dollar - a VPN whose business model depends on you continuing to pay for their lack of logging can give you higher confidence in your privacy than just letting your ISP mine and sell every possible iota of information about your internet usage, which is a key aspect of their business model. There are of course no absolute guarantees. The other big advantage of a VPN that uses encryption is having all of your activity encrypted when you're on an otherwise open network (like public wifi), for basic personal security. In general, one should choose a VPN that is outside the U.S., uses encryption, supports OpenVPN, and has a no logging policy.

FWIW, I have been using ExpressVPN on my laptop and phone for the past few months and I like it quite a bit.
Old 01-02-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is really hard to determine what a VPN provider is going to do when the SHTF. If you are REALLY doing something jail time illegal, I wouldn't trust them.

If you are just trying to hide from your ISP and any stupid rules they may have while you are online, most based in countries that don't have agreements to roll over to US based authorities will be fine for you (this is the one I posted above, US authorities are ignored)

If you are just trying to get netflix in a different region, go with the fastest to you that allows netflix.

So it all depends on why you want one...
Old 01-02-19, 03:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I’ve never thought about these, but would using one allow me to redeem UK digital and Disney codes into my US accounts?
Old 01-03-19, 04:53 PM

For about a year, since I paid for a year subscription, I used FrootVPN. Had some issues connection to their various servers but when it connected it worked OK. Some slow down as could be expected and some servers allowed P2P. If you want that you know why. Decided not worth the trouble/expense (for me).
Old 01-03-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
If you are just trying to get netflix in a different region, go with the fastest to you that allows netflix.
I used to use UnblockUS VPN for this but it stopped working once Netflix cracked down. Too bad, because it would allow you to choose any country's Netflix, the selection of movies and TV shows was incredible. Is there any VPN that still fools Netflix?