Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

PDANET: Anyone use it? Recommend it?

Old 12-30-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
PDANET: Anyone use it? Recommend it?

A guy I work with told me that pdanet can tether your phone to a laptop/PC/Tablet. I downloaded the free Android app, but I'm not sure which program I put on my PC or laptop. I also want to make sure I understand what exactly this does. From what I gather, I can use my phone, connected via USB, to give an unconnected device an internet connection. I have unlimited data with Verizon and figured I'd give it a go with an unconnected PC I have just to see how it works.

I do have a couple questions:

Can I use an Android phone (HTC Thunderbolt) to connect an Apple device (iPad2 w/WiFi only)?

Is this "illegal"?

Are there any cons to doing this?

Which program do I use on my device/PC/laptop?

Also, if this subject is taboo on these forums, I apologize, I honestly didn't know...Hell, I don't even really know what tethering is.

Thanks,

~S2K
Old 12-30-11, 04:59 PM
X
Administrator

Re: PDANET: Anyone use it? Recommend it?

Some providers allow you to tether, some have agreements that prohibit it unless you pay a higher monthly fee. I think they can tell that you're doing it by the signature of the brower you're using. I've read there are ways to change the signature of your browser. (I'm thinking of doing that for IE just so sites don't try to use ActiveX on me.)

I've tried tethering with an Android and it's pretty cool. I don't see what would matter if you then used an Apple or any other device on your local WiFi.
Old 12-30-11, 06:27 PM
Banned by request

It's not illegal. It may be against your provider's TOS, in which case they have the right to terminate your account with them if they find you doing it. Most start with a warning. Some, like AT&T, may even change your data plan to one with tethering. But it's not illegal.
Old 12-30-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Used the USB drivers but never the actual program.
Old 01-02-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

great program...though your carrier may not like it if you use it 24/7 (like at work). I used it when I traveled (1-2x weekends a month), and I never ran into any issues w. VZW.
Old 01-03-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I use Wireless Tether occasionally, but it's for root users only I believe. It works well enough when I'm in need of a connection for my laptop. Sprint has never said anything about it.
Old 01-03-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
It's not illegal. It may be against your provider's TOS, in which case they have the right to terminate your account with them if they find you doing it. Most start with a warning. Some, like AT&T, may even change your data plan to one with tethering. But it's not illegal.
I think those who use it in moderation are usually okay. It probably is in violation of most TOS. If the op roots then he can use the wifi tether program which is free. Both of my smartphones can have unlocked bootloaders following the manufacturers guidance.
Old 01-03-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have used it occasionally (carrier is Sprint, phone is HTC Evo). Works quite well.
Old 01-04-12, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X View Post
Some providers allow you to tether, some have agreements that prohibit it unless you pay a higher monthly fee. I think they can tell that you're doing it by the signature of the brower you're using. I've read there are ways to change the signature of your browser.
If you use Dolphin HD, you can actively change the signature (I occasionally tether for my tablet).
Old 01-05-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
If the op roots then he can use the wifi tether program which is free. Both of my smartphones can have unlocked bootloaders following the manufacturers guidance.
I'm not sure what this means. Are you saying I would be providing a WiFi signal instead of a 4G LTE connection? Man, all of this 'tether' & 'bootloading' jargon is confusing. Also, what is the pdanet program I use for on my PC? That seemed confusing to me as well, as I couldn't tell if it was meant to be installed on a phone/mobile device, or the 'target'.
Old 01-05-12, 11:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I used PDAnet when I first got my Nexus One. I hated it, since it didn't seem to function the way it should.

The guy who created ClockworkMod (see: custom Recovery firmware for Android phones) has created an app called Tether that doesn't require rooting, bootloading, or any of that nonsense that you would expect from.. well... the guy who created ClockworkMod.

I'd hold off on tethering until he releases a stable app.
Old 01-06-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000 View Post
Can I use an Android phone (HTC Thunderbolt) to connect an Apple device (iPad2 w/WiFi only)?
No. You'll have to root the phone if you want to be able to set it up as a wi-fi access point. The way it works is that you have to install the program drivers onto your device, which the ipad doesn't have plus you connect your phone to your computer using a usb cable, which the ipad doesn't have a port for.

What you can do is connect your phone to a laptop, using your tethering program, and then(on windows) I use a program called Connectify. That lets me turn my laptop into a wireless hotspot which I can then connect my ipad to.

It's ghetto as hell but I can go on long car trips hooking my phone to my netbook and then kids/wife can use the ipad, or any other wireless device, as we drive.

I use Easytether, which is about the same thing.
Old 01-06-12, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

That's actually not entirely true, Mister Peepers. Verizon has their own wi-fi hotspot feature, but it's not free. You have to pay for it.
Old 01-09-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
That's actually not entirely true, Mister Peepers. Verizon has their own wi-fi hotspot feature, but it's not free. You have to pay for it.
I know the carriers charge for it as an added service but by using the software as I've described, you can do it for free. You're not actually using their hotspot service.

If you want your phone to act as a wi-fi hotspot without signing up for the added service, you need to root the phone to install the program.

If you can't or don't want to root, then you have to tether to a laptop with the USB cable so that the laptop can be the wi-fi hotspot that other devices connect to.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 01-09-12 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-09-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm simply pointing out that your statement of "No. You'll have to root the phone if you want to be able to set it up as a wi-fi access point." is incorrect. You can do it without rooting by paying for the Verizon service.
Old 01-09-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got it.

I was replying more to the OP talking about PDAnet and if he'd be able to use it to connect an ipad to it, which the software won't do. If you're using that software to tether, it's because you aren't paying extra through the carrier to do a hotspot using the phone.
Old 01-09-12, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Got it.

I was replying more to the OP talking about PDAnet and if he'd be able to use it to connect an ipad to it, which the software won't do. If you're using that software to tether, it's because you aren't paying extra through the carrier to do a hotspot using the phone.
Fyi, some phones have free mhs, without paying the mhs charge and without possibly violating TOS. My pixi was able to do this. This maybe a palm thing though.
Old 01-09-12, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Clockwork has come out with a free version of tether for non root users. It is free and pretty easy to setup. It is corded tether like PDA Net so no connection to iPad.

You have to install a program on a computer and on your phone, as well as instaling the HTC drivers on your computer. Here is the link:

https://plus.google.com/103583939320...ts/1Yy1jb9z4TA