Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Which DVD format for all domestic set-top DVD players?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology
View Poll Results: Which DVD format is best to burn to for use in all domestic DVD players
DVD-R
33.33%
DVD+R
33.33%
DVD-RAM
0%
Other
33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-11, 12:05 AM

Hi guys

I'm hoping someone here can help me with a problem regarding DVD formats.

As a Mac user for many years, I've had issues in the past deciding if I should burn to DVD-R or DVD+R formats.

In my experience (Wedding videography), I've generally opted for DVD-R because of it's wider compatibility (as it seemed at the time) with domestic DVD players.

I'm now advised by one of my customers that several recently burned DVD-R's do not play in their DVD players (this could of course also be low quality DVD-R media which I'm looking into with our supplier).

However, I'm wondering if this may be a compatibility/format issue, and if so how best to overcome the situation?

I'm also wondering what format the likes of Blockbuster Video (etc) use for their "Domestic" DVD's which they hire to the public.

I'm guessing this may (now) be DVD-RAM - if so, is this the best format to burn to ensure best compatibility with domestic DVD players?

Any help or info to make my DVD's more widely playable, would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-11, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Which DVD format for all domestic set-top DVD players?

I didn't even know DVD-RAM was around anymore?

As far as I know +R is the more widely available thus supported of the formats at this point.
Old 11-28-11, 11:48 AM

Timber,

Thanks for the reply . . . . you may well be correct, it's been a while since I had to do any research on this, and so I'm very much out of date with the latest info.

I'm still keen to know which formats the video hire shops use, as I don't think I've ever had a disc which didn't play in any of my home players.

Thanks
Old 11-28-11, 11:54 AM
X
Administrator

DVD+R with a booktype of DVD-ROM is the most reliably read format.
Old 11-28-11, 12:14 PM

Hi,

And thanks for the info, can you explain what you're referring to by "Booktype of DVD-ROM" ?

Not heard of this previously.

Thanks
Old 11-28-11, 12:32 PM
X
Administrator

This will explain it:

http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
Old 11-28-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by steevg View Post
I'm now advised by one of my customers that several recently burned DVD-R's do not play in their DVD players (this could of course also be low quality DVD-R media which I'm looking into with our supplier).
In my experience, in this day and age, the brand/quality of the media can have a larger impact on playback ability than the type of media it is.

I'm also wondering what format the likes of Blockbuster Video (etc) use for their "Domestic" DVD's which they hire to the public.
The commercially released DVDs you see in retail stores are all "factory-pressed" DVDs, and don't use any of the "recordable" DVD formats.

A quick rundown of the differences between pressed and recordable DVDs:
http://www.film-to-video.com/tutorial_pop_dvds.htm

DVD-RAM was the original rewritable DVD format. It has since been largely succeeded by DVD-RW and DVD+RW.

Pressed DVDs have a high initial cost for creating the master for pressing, but are faster and cheaper to make in high quantities than recordable DVDs. However, for low print runs, recordable DVDs are more economical.
Old 11-28-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
In my experience, in this day and age, the brand/quality of the media can have a larger impact on playback ability than the type of media it is.
This is true.

Most DVD+/-R read problems are related to using cheap or off-brand media. I've never had an issue with Sony or Verbatim DVD-Rs in my recorder or DVD burners.

The only time I've ever had an issue with recordable discs was with some off-brand CD-Rs a long time ago. Since then I've always stuck with name-brand media.
Old 11-29-11, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I also agree that it does not matter what type of media (dvd-/+r) you use. I usually buy dvd-r because that is what the only type my Panny dvd recorders can burn. I buy JVC(Ty) 8x dvd-r from Supermedia. That is the only brand I use in my Panny dvd recorders now.

To make copies of Korean Dramas I d/l and record to my dvd recorders for a bunch of friends. I usually buy TDK dvd-r for them and use Verbatim AZO for myself. Also some times will use Sony Dvd-r. Not to long ago BB had printable HP Dvd+r for sale at $2.99 per 50 pack. I purchased twelve 50 packs and so far no problems burning to them.