Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iPhone 4S or Moto Razr

Old 11-11-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

iPhone 4S or Moto Razr

I don't think this should really belong in one of the either discussion thread.

My Verison renewal is up Sunday. I am undecided between these 2 phones. I have had an original Droid for the past ~2 years. I think I probably got around 16 months of decent usage out of it. After a couple months of flakey operation, like returning to the home screen, etc. I rooted it. I have used it that way since and things were good for a while. Now it seems to be functioning as it did before.

I saw the RAZR today, and it seems pretty slick. Thin, light. It doesn't have much history yet.

Pros: Faster processor, 4G, bigger screen,"open" apps.

The iPhone was what I was going to get, but it seems that nobody really knows when they will be available again. I am hearing the end of the month.

Pros: Siri, Apple ease, my wife will have one so tech support will be easier for me, "better" screen.

RAZR won't have ICS until sometime next year. Who knows when something like siri will be available. I hear the iphone is fragile. I know I have dropped my phone decently once or twice.

Is there something obvious I am missing?
Old 11-11-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: iPhone 4S or Moto Razr

What about the gnex?
Old 11-11-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Are people really abbreviating the Galaxy Nexus gnex?
Old 11-12-11, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The moto razr. It has Kevlar and will stop a bullet in case you get shot

I work with two android users who are going iPhone. After they saw my 4s
Old 11-12-11, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
The moto razr. It has Kevlar and will stop a bullet in case you get shot

I work with two android users who are going iPhone. After they saw my 4s
I have a buddy who is going Android after being disappointed with the 4s... He is waiting for the Nexus.

But it sounds like you don't want to wait for your upgrade, and the only reason you are considering the RAZR is because you can't get your hands on a 4S today. So my suggestion (which sounds weird coming from an Android guy) is that you get the Apple phone.
Old 11-12-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a TBolt, my wife has a 4S, no way would I switch to her 4S, even if I could get it for free. Different strokes for different folks. Try out both to see what you like. The 4S is much sharper due to higher pixel density or whatever it's called, but the Gnex should be pretty close. Imo, i wouldn't even consider the razr, unless the price of the gnex is exorbitant.
Old 11-12-11, 10:04 AM

Don't know how much texting you do with your wife, but with the iPhone you'll get free texting to other iPhones. Assuming you're not using Google Voice or a similar tool.
Old 11-12-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Btw, try to clear cache and dalvick cache and do a system reset. Make sure to back up data wit titanium backup
Old 11-12-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The sealed kevlar body for the Razr sounds nice and durable as hell, which would be great, but imo the iPhone 4S is a better overall phone even though I find iOS tremendously bland. It's not the most durable phone but it is good against water and has a solid camera.

I used the iPhone for 2 years, switched to a Droid Incredible and plan on getting the Galaxy Nexus at the end of the month.
Old 11-12-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Don't know how much texting you do with your wife, but with the iPhone you'll get free texting to other iPhones. Assuming you're not using Google Voice or a similar tool.
and most carriers give unlimited mobile to mobile texting within their own service, too.
Old 11-12-11, 03:59 PM
Banned by request

If you're going to get an Android phone wait for the Galaxy Nexus. Although I know Verizon is doing a deal for extra data for 4G users right now, so maybe get the Razr now and exchange it for the Nexus when that becomes available (should be within the 30 day window of your Razr purchase at this point).

I was pretty heavy into Android but switched to the 4S on AT&T for this cycle. Siri is nice but if that's the only reason you want an iPhone it's not worth it, especially since the iPhone is 3G only on Verizon.
Old 11-12-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
and most carriers give unlimited mobile to mobile texting within their own service, too.
Does Verizon offer free m2m texting within the same carrier?
Old 11-12-11, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
If you're going to get an Android phone wait for the Galaxy Nexus. Although I know Verizon is doing a deal for extra data for 4G users right now, so maybe get the Razr now and exchange it for the Nexus when that becomes available (should be within the 30 day window of your Razr purchase at this point).

I was pretty heavy into Android but switched to the 4S on AT&T for this cycle. Siri is nice but if that's the only reason you want an iPhone it's not worth it, especially since the iPhone is 3G only on Verizon.
The double data promo is supposed to last the holiday season. But, Verizon hasn't said when it will end. I'd wait it out, even if Verizon were to end it, they usually give a few days notice with changes.

Also, the return period of Verizon I thought was 14 days? There is a $35 charge as well. Though, i had and still have problems with my TBolt. They have offered me clnr options of other phones.
Old 11-12-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
But it sounds like you don't want to wait for your upgrade, and the only reason you are considering the RAZR is because you can't get your hands on a 4S today. So my suggestion (which sounds weird coming from an Android guy) is that you get the Apple phone.
Well, the RAZR did just come out yesterday, so I didn't have much time to consider it beforehand. I wasn't a fan of the Bionic.

I held the RAZR at the mall kiosk, and it felt nice. I didn't "drive" it much though.

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That is a good point. I could drop my texting package down to compensate, and save ~$5.00/mo. We would still need to keep hers unlimited so she can text her friends all the time.

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
I don't think so. Only calling.

I guess another thing is less chargers/adapter to travel with if we have the same phone. Not something to hinge a decision on, but a bonus.
Old 11-12-11, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post

The double data promo is supposed to last the holiday season. But, Verizon hasn't said when it will end. I'd wait it out, even if Verizon were to end it, they usually give a few days notice with changes.

Also, he has a droid so he should be Grandfather into unlimited data.

Also, the return period of Verizon I thought was 14 days? There is a $35 charge as well. Though, i had and still have problems with my TBolt. They have offered me clnr options of other phones.
Old 11-12-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
Well, the RAZR did just come out yesterday, so I didn't have much time to consider it beforehand. I wasn't a fan of the Bionic.

I held the RAZR at the mall kiosk, and it felt nice. I didn't "drive" it much though.

That is a good point. I could drop my texting package down to compensate, and save ~$5.00/mo. We would still need to keep hers unlimited so she can text her friends all the time.

I guess another thing is less chargers/adapter to travel with if we have the same phone. Not something to hinge a decision on, but a bonus.
You can use the same adapter for both, just different cable.
Old 11-12-11, 06:13 PM
Banned by request

It didn't occur to me that he'd have unlimited data. Duh.

I thought for the big three carriers it's 14 days to cancel a contract without paying ETF, but 30 days to return or exchange hardware. Maybe that's a CA thing.
Old 11-12-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Verizon is free phone-2-phone text messages for all Verizon users, at least it always has been for me (I have 500 txt/month plan). You can also use Google Talk if needs be.
Old 11-12-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

get the iphone, take care of it and sell it when the best phone of all time comes out next year, iPhone 5
Old 11-12-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by redrum View Post
get the iphone, take care of it and sell it when the best phone of all time comes out next year, iPhone 5
All time? Not expecting much from the iPhone 6 are you?
Old 11-12-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's the difference between the bionic and razr other than Kevlar. Both are Omap cPu's

Old 11-12-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
What's the difference between the bionic and razr other than Kevlar. Both are Omap cPu's
I dunno, Bionic is thicker, slower processor, less RAM?
I just wasn't impressed with handling it.

http://smartphones.findthebest.com/c...ola-DROID-RAZR
Old 11-12-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Yes. I only pay for 500 messages a month but use well over 1000 due to the unlimited m2m I get with them.
Old 11-12-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno, Bionic is thicker, slower processor, less RAM?
Slightly slower processor (1GHz vs. 1.2), but same RAM. But the Bionic has an optional extended battery that greatly increases time between charges.

I just wasn't impressed with handling it.
I like the look of the Razor, but I've owned the Bionic since it was released and it's a great phone.
Old 11-12-11, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Yes. I only pay for 500 messages a month but use well over 1000 due to the unlimited m2m I get with them.
I see, but I don't have much of a need to send texts to Verizon users, since i get free m2m calls anyways, but, I guess it is good if you can use it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.