Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Recovery Disc/Windows Vista problem - need help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-01-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have an Acer Aspire 5517 laptop I purchased two years ago. To make a long story short the hard drive in this machine crapped out on my about. I took the computer into a technician who said it was fried. I purchased a new HD and replaced it myself (I have some experience fiddling with computers, but had no way to test the HD hence I took it in).

So... I was going to reinstall everything by way of the recovery discs, which I would assume would be an option since the system BIOS should still allow this. But the recovery DVDs I burned when I first purchased the laptop became heavily scratched somehow during the past two years (really have no clue how, they were in a CD case). The DVDs are apparently unreadable.

I figure I have two options. First, get new recovery discs. I'm trying to do so from Acer, but no luck so far. Does anyone have any ideas how I could find replacement discs?

Second option will be to buy a full version of Windows Vista. My question for tihs option is I have no clue whether I need the 32-bit version or 64-bit. Honestly, I've never done this before so I just GUESSING that the Windows DVD will be bootable.

Third option is to return the new HD and replace it to make sure that the first one I bought last night isn't defective, but that seems unlikely to me.

Thoughts? Any help would be greatly apprecaited.
Old 09-01-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Recovery Disc/Windows Vista problem - need help!

If you have a sticker on the laptop with a Windows product Key on it all you really need is the Vista media from someone and you can install it without buying another license. You would most likely have to get drivers from the Acer website. 32-bit is safe and should work just fine (unless you have 4Gig or more of RAM then you need 64-bit).

Old 09-01-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nifty03 View Post
If you have a sticker on the laptop with a Windows product Key on it all you really need is the Vista media from someone and you can install it without buying another license. You would most likely have to get drivers from the Acer website. 32-bit is safe and should work just fine (unless you have 4Gig or more of RAM then you need 64-bit).

My laptop does indeed have a proof of license from MS with a product key number. this is a really great idea. Now to find someone with Windows Vista CDs... thanks for the help!
Old 09-01-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe find an Acer forum and see if someone is willing to put iso images up for you to download

Lots of things on bitorrent sites, maybe search there

Here is a link to purchase restore media (eRecovery CDs as Acer calls them)

https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer

You might also be able to take some automotive wax/polish and 'fix' the scratches in the media you have to where you can use the CDs or make copies of them. I have had great success with that in the past. Takes some patience, rub center to edge, not round and round

This stuff

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tag...uct/B002UD0GIG

works for much more damaged discs