New computer set-up questions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-28-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi all,

I recently puchased a new computer system for HD video editing. Had the computer shop put it together. Here are the specs:

*Intel Core i7 Quad-Core Socket LGA1366, 3.06Ghz, 4.8GT/s FSB, 8MB L3 Cache, 45nm
*Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case ATX 3/0/6 2xUSB Audio No PS
*Samsung SH-S223C/BEBE SATA Black 22x DVD-Writer OEM
*Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) 1000GB (1TB) SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache OEM
*Asus P6x58D-E Socket 1366 Intel x58 + ICH10R Chipset CrossfireX / 3-way SLI Triple-Channel DDR3 2000(o.c.)/1600/1333/1066Mhz 3x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Dual GigaLAN 8-CH HD Audio 2x SATA 6Gb/s + 6x SATA 3.0Gb.s 2x USB 3.0 ATX
*Asus VE228H, 21.5" LED Widescreen monitor 1920x1080, 5ms (GtG), 10,000,000:1 (ASCR) w/speakers, VGA, DVI-D, HDMI
*Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 High Performance 750W Power Supply
*G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 12GB (3X4GB) Triple Channel Kit
*Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
*EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB (01G-P3-1370-TR) nVidia GeForce GTX 460 Chipset (720Mhz) 1024MB (3600 Mhz) GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphic Card

Steps:
1) I instaled Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
2) I installed the Motherboard drivers
3) I installed the Graphics card drivers and the DirectX software that came with it
4) I installed VLC Media player
5) The monitor is hooked up via DV/i

Questions:
1) It seems to be running slower then expected. I figured it had much power and maybe I was expecting too much of it. Is there a way to know if this is, indeed, up to snuff speed-wise? Drivers?
2) The monitor is a wide one and I thought if I put a DVD in to watch there would no longer be the black bars. Am I incorrect on this?
3) Also, I did put a DVD in and it wasn't sharp. You could see some pixilization and/or noise around the text on the menu screen and as well on the image when it was playing. It was playing in Media Player. Do I need special codecs?
4) I don't plan on using this for much internet stuff but did hook it up to put on Firefox and test out videos on Youtube. This is a FULL-HD monitor and the Youtube clips didn't seem as crips as I thought they would. Again, do you think I am missing anything?
5) When windows installed updates and asked for a reboot the computer restarted to a black screen saying to add my boot-media as though I hadn't installed the OS already. When I hit cancel it continued to my desktop. Any idea why it went to the black screen first?
6) Computer takes about a minute to boot up and shut down. This normal for this set-up?

Again, I am sure some of this is just me expecting more for this set-up but some confirmation on some of the above would be great.

Thanks
Old 03-28-11, 01:27 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
Re: New computer set-up questions

Regarding #1, is the PC recognizing all of your RAM?
Old 03-28-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Win 7 has a "windows experience index" benchmark that's easy enough to check. In the start menu, right-click "computer" and select "properties". On the bottom left of the dialog that pops up, click "Performance Information and Tools". If you post the numbers from there, maybe someone else can tell you if they're in line with what's expected.

Also, if you want to check that there aren't any obvious problems with drivers, check your device manager. Again, right-click "computer" in your start menu, then select "manage". In the dialog that pops up, select "Device Manager" in the left pane. In the middle pane, a list of your device should appear. There should not be any devices highlighted with an exclamation mark or a question mark.
Old 03-28-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the latest Video drivers (to upgrade the ones that came with the card).

Get the latest BIOS (looks to be 1301) and latest Motherboard Drivers.
Old 03-28-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Groucho: How can I tell?

As for the others, I will check on this ASAP and get back to you.
Old 03-28-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
Start > Control Panel > System and Security > System

Is your monitor resolution set on max/native?
win7 should automatically detect to set to max res on lcd/led. although, i guess it doesn't hurt to check.

with regards to the op's question, when viewing youtube, did you make sure to change the video to 1080p?

also, curious as to why you chose a 1366 chip (i7 950?) instead of the i7 2600k? the 2600k isn't really that much more, but will beat the 950 in every benchmark i've seen. particularly with transcoding, the 2nd gen i7 will blow the 950 out of the water (with the right software).

also, with regards to speed, why not get an ssd for primary drive?
Old 03-28-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#4 a lot of youtube videos are less than SD source, don't expect them to magically look nicer
Old 04-05-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, here is a bit of an update:

1) I have installed the updated Graphics Drivers but am having trouble updating the BIOs.
-I checked and my motherboard is P6X58d-e and my BIOS is 303 dated 25/05/10
-There was an update on my Motherboard Number and BIOS 303 dated 06/08/10
-(I am assuming here I do not touch any of the other BIOS numbers on that page http://support.asus.com/download.asp...BKfNyhppW9tDbB)
-When I download the update it is only a ROM file that I can't open

2) For Performance Information and Tools I got these subscores:
*Processor: 7.5
*Memory (RAM): 7.5
*Graphics: 7.5
*Gaming Graphics: 7.5
*Primary Hard Disk: 5.9
The base score was 5.9

3) Under system it reads:
*Rating: 5.9 Windows Experience Index
*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @3.07GHz
*Installed Memory (RAM): 12 GB
*System Type: 64-bit

4) After pecking around I can't seem to find the Native Resolution for the Monitor

5) In device manager there are no exclamation points

So, I suppose that low number on the performance area should be raised, right?

Also, my computer prompted me to set this performance thing called EPU-6 Engine Turbo which I have running now.
Old 04-05-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the utilities section there should be an app that will automatically download all new BIOS/drivers for your system and update it
Old 04-05-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Your Windows Experience scores are normal. It's about the same as my Core i5 2500k that I just built this weekend.
Old 04-05-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

with the exception of the harddrive, those scores are above normal.. considering the scale only goes up to 7.9
Old 04-05-11, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
2) The monitor is a wide one and I thought if I put a DVD in to watch there would no longer be the black bars. Am I incorrect on this?
It depends on the movie. Anything that is 2.40:1 is still wider than the 16:9 ratio of the monitor, so it will still have letterbox bars on the top and bottom of the screen. They'll just be smaller than on a 4:3 TV. Even 1.85:1 movies will have very small bars as they are slightly wider as well. And, anything non-anamorphic will have bars all around (yuk!).

3) Also, I did put a DVD in and it wasn't sharp. You could see some pixilization and/or noise around the text on the menu screen and as well on the image when it was playing. It was playing in Media Player. Do I need special codecs?
4) I don't plan on using this for much internet stuff but did hook it up to put on Firefox and test out videos on Youtube. This is a FULL-HD monitor and the Youtube clips didn't seem as crips as I thought they would. Again, do you think I am missing anything?
This sounds normal. Remember that DVD is relatively low in resolution, and the monitor is going to be very revealing of the source. You may see things like edge enhancement and noise when you hadn't seen them before, unless your TV was huge and you were sitting close enough to it. If you can try out a Blu-ray Disc, I think you will be impressed.

Many YouTube clips are highly compressed, more so than DVD, so they will tend to look worse. The resolution of the monitor isn't going to change this.

5) When windows installed updates and asked for a reboot the computer restarted to a black screen saying to add my boot-media as though I hadn't installed the OS already. When I hit cancel it continued to my desktop. Any idea why it went to the black screen first?
It sounds like something with the boot order, like it's looking for a USB stick or optical drive to boot. Go into the BIOS and set the primary hard drive to boot first. Of course, when you need to reinstall Windows, you'll need to set it back to boot from whatever media you used.

6) Computer takes about a minute to boot up and shut down. This normal for this set-up?
Yes. Mechanical hard drives are relatively slow, and there is a lot of hardware detection upon bootup that takes time. A SSD would cut this down some.
Old 04-05-11, 10:47 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 528 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
And, anything non-anamorphic will have bars all around (yuk!).
VLC Media Player will let you crop non-anamorphic videos. Again, they'll still look like ass (more so, actually), but at least the image will take up more of the screen.

Yes. Mechanical hard drives are relatively slow, and there is a lot of hardware detection upon bootup that takes time. A SSD would cut this down some.
Yep, 1 minute is pretty good for a mechanical drive. My Intel SSD will boot up in about 25 seconds.
Old 04-05-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to add to matters here but this came up today:
*The computer was purchased to edit HD Video because, as I deduced, it would be quicker then what I had experienced on my laptop
*I use Sony Vegas HD Movie Studio

Today the program gave me a warning that I was "LOW IN MEMORY" and to "Close programs" to solve this.

This, of course, had me realing because I was certain this setup woudl avoid such problems and am sure my memory is fine.

Any ideas?
Old 04-05-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

when it says "low memory", go into the task manager(hit ctl+alt+del at the same time) , and click on performance tab. it should show how much memory you are using alltogether. and in the "Processes" tab, it will show how much is used for each app.
Old 04-05-11, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems weird to hit a low memory warning unless for some reason your pagefile was disabled.
Old 04-06-11, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends on the movie. Anything that is 2.40:1 is still wider than the 16:9 ratio of the monitor, so it will still have letterbox bars on the top and bottom of the screen. They'll just be smaller than on a 4:3 TV. Even 1.85:1 movies will have very small bars as they are slightly wider as well. And, anything non-anamorphic will have bars all around (yuk!).
Arent computer monitors wider than TVs? Tvs are 16:9 and PC monitors are 16:10. Therefore regardless of aspect ratio, there will be black bars on top and bottom.
Old 04-06-11, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Arent computer monitors wider than TVs? Tvs are 16:9 and PC monitors are 16:10. Therefore regardless of aspect ratio, there will be black bars on top and bottom.
No, 16:10 is less wide. The 10 represents more height.

Also, computer monitors have been moving to 16:9 as the most common ratio. We can assume that the OP's monitor is 16:9, since the resolution is 1920x1080.
Old 04-06-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
It seems weird to hit a low memory warning unless for some reason your pagefile was disabled.
Ummm....waaaaa?

Where do I check that, sir?
Old 04-06-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, 16:10 is less wide. The 10 represents more height.

Also, computer monitors have been moving to 16:9 as the most common ratio. We can assume that the OP's monitor is 16:9, since the resolution is 1920x1080.
yes, 16:9 is 1920x1080, they give a 1.78:1 ratio. personally, for regular (i.e. non-movie uses, i refer a 16:10, which would be 1920x1200. but monitors move towards 16x9 because it is cheaper to make for the same diagonal screen size.
Old 04-06-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Ummm....waaaaa?

Where do I check that, sir?
http://forums.techarena.in/tips-tweaks/1177754.htm

http://tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/7.html
Old 04-06-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks D.Pham, do I just go there and see if the file in inabled or disabled?

If the low memory comes up agian I will do what you suggested.

A bit more background: It came up when I was trying to edit files with Sony Vegas HD Movie Studio. These were HD video files.
Old 04-06-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

see what setting it's at. if it's enabled, i think, by default, the size matches the ram? i'm not sure, since i've never had that issue.