Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Are you getting an iPad? (Part 2)

To answer thread head, no.
Old 03-04-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/c...Engadget+HD%29
CBS & Turner Sports are streaming all the March Madness games to PCs, iPhones & iPads for free
By Richard Lawler posted Mar 4th 2011 3:32PM
Every year CBS has enhanced its March Madness On Demand experience, from HD VOD on cable boxes to HD streaming on PCs before adding PiP and paid mobile access last year. For 2011, a new deal has brought in Turner Sports to not only provide enough channels to air all the games in high definition (we figure you'll find CBS, TNT and TBS on the channel guide with no problem, but with some of the games diverted to lesser known TruTV HD check the HDSportsGuide link below to see if it's in your area yet) but also expand the streaming experience by promising higher quality video, personalized channel lineup and social tie ins. If you're on the go, the mobile client for iOS devices (sorry, no Android or other mobile OSes) is free this year so you can keep that fiver in your pocket this time. There's another pic of the iPad client, a video trailer and all sorts of details waiting after the break, so click through to find out more or just wait for the free apps to hit iTunes March 10th.
Old 03-04-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
How do you update firmware?

How do I update, switch music/movies and such to my iPhone and iPod?

Been through this before. And don't mean kick a dead horse. And maybe I mispoke when I said these "need" a PC. I guess what is more appropriate is still need a PC to take care of other things (iphone/ipod) since you can't hook them up to a iPad.
Correct. If you are switching content. However SOME folks are don't really need to do that very often (if ever). You can buy product right on the device, stream from other computers or providers, download your apps straight to it, etc... and only use the computer as a "backup" to make sure you don't lose anything purchased.

I am actually pretty close to you in terms of what I would really like, since it would be nice for the tablet to hold everything (Like my netbook) and sync my iPhone to it, to switch everything out. I've come to realise I will still need a netbook along with the iPad (and iPhone) but will prefer the iPad for watching movies, YouTube, etc...instead of the netbook today.
Old 03-04-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I travel to Europe in a couple of months, I'd love to just take an iPad but it's just not feasible unless I want to VNC into other computers and work that way. Plus, I just can't see working on something significant with the touch interface especially through a VNC app. Yuck.
Old 03-04-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

I use VNC a lot on my iPhone and don't seem to have too many issues. Pinch to zoom is your friend

I am going too this summer and need to bring a netbook to off load my DSLR pics nightly.
Old 03-04-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 280 Posts

And while I've been called an "Apple fan boy" and love my iPhone and such, Steve Jobs can talk all he want about "post PC" or this is a "totally different device" (my words not his). But if you have to have a PC or Mac to keep the thing up, I don't see how it is a "post PC device". It is simply a PC (or Mac) accessory. A very cool, function and refined PC accessory, but still an accessory.
I agree with this, although I wouldn't call them accessories. However, every iOS device still relies on a PC for core functions like backup and OS upgrades. Until they're completely free from relying on a PC for anything, then they're not really "post PC" devices.

Android is actually closer to a Post PC device. OS upgrades can be delivered OTA or SD card, and at least rooted devices can do full system backups to external storage, so they never need to be attached to a PC for any function.
Old 03-04-11, 04:12 PM

Received 360 Likes on 262 Posts

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Best Buy has a clearance sale on the last gen iPads. Looks like it's basically $100 off. The 16GB WiFi is $399.

BEST BUY IPAD CLEARANCE SALE
Old 03-04-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Best Buy has a clearance sale on the last gen iPads. Looks like it's basically $100 off. The 16GB WiFi is $399.
They're $100 off everywhere. Apple will issue refunds to those who bought the iPad between Feb 16th and March 2nd.
Old 03-04-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the good thing about a clearance in Best Buy is that you would expect the price to be coming down more. If they don't sell out of course. Or if you are good negotiating you may be able to talk to a manager and get a better price.

A lot of IFs here of course.
Old 03-04-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
I agree with this, although I wouldn't call them accessories. However, every iOS device still relies on a PC for core functions like backup and OS upgrades. Until they're completely free from relying on a PC for anything, then they're not really "post PC" devices.

Android is actually closer to a Post PC device. OS upgrades can be delivered OTA or SD card, and at least rooted devices can do full system backups to external storage, so they never need to be attached to a PC for any function.
Yea...I used "accessories" for lake of a better work off the top of head. I'm not belittling the item. I think it is super cool and refined. But....
Old 03-04-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
I guess the good thing about a clearance in Best Buy is that you would expect the price to be coming down more.
I don't think this sale counts as a real Best Buy clearance item though. The price has dropped the same everywhere, so it's obviously a manufacturer-set price cut. Best Buy isn't classifying the individual products as clearance on the site. And Apple is pretty strict about selling their products below suggested retail.

I think this iPad "clearance" will be handled the same way the previous-gen iPods have been cleared out whenever a new model comes out: Stop production and cut the price, but don't cut any further later and just wait for it to sell out anyway.
Old 03-04-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
You, sir, have a bet. If the next iphone has 4G, I say it will be called the iPhone 4G. If it doesn't have 4G, then I'd agree that it will be called the 5.
OK.

Just FYI, here's my score so far on predictions.

I predicted that Apple would let people choose what the iPad switch does:
Maybe they can offer an option to choose between using the switch for volume or orientation.
I discounted the rumor that the iPad 2 would come out before Christmas, or in January:
That's just a rumor though, one that doesn't seem very likely to me.
I clarified this statement in another post, while predicting what the next Apple CPU would be:
It may be announced in January, but it seems unlikely it will be released less than a year after the first iPad launched. An April release seems more likely...

...The current Apple A4 chip is based on Cortex-A8, so it seems most likely that the next Apple chip will be Cortex-A9 based.
So I was half right about the dates, erring on the side of caution. The jury's still out on the A5, although most people think it's a Cortex-9 based chip (especially since it's dual-core):
http://www.tipb.com/2011/03/03/tipb-...a5-chip-guess/

I guessed correctly about the cameras:
A front-facing camera is pretty much a no-brainer... A rear-facing camera may be a surprise to some, but makes more sense when you think about it in terms of Facetime... So I consider this rumor to very likely pan out as true.
I discounted rumors of increased resolution:
Apple kept the same resolution on the iPhone for 3 generations, so they're likely to keep the resolution the same on the iPad for at least a few generations.
I posted a very accurate rumor on when iOS 4.2.1 would be released for iPad
Apple is being mum on the official release date, just stating "November", but the current rumor is Nov 24
The actual release date was November 22.

I shot down thoughts that Apple would cut prices.
If iPhones and iPod Touches are any indicator, the iPod 2 will have new features, but the same prices.

I don't see any reason why Apple would cut the price. All the competing tablets are being released for around the same price point, so the iPad is very competitively priced.
I again shot down speculation on a higher-res screen, based on a tweet:
That tweet is gone now. It could've easily been a typo, and was supposed to read that the new BBC app "will take advantage of the higher-res screen that the iPad has got."
http://www.tipb.com/2011/02/08/bbc-i...ighres-screen/
I also threw my hat into the ring regarding how much RAM the iPad 2 has:
I'm thinking it probably does have as much RAM as the iPhone 4, i.e. 512MB
We'll have to wait until the 11th to see how this prediction pans out.
Old 03-04-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

This man deserves a gold star!
Old 03-04-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd give him a cookie but I left them at home.
Old 03-04-11, 10:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK.

Just FYI, here's my score so far on predictions.

I predicted that Apple would let people choose what the iPad switch does:

I discounted the rumor that the iPad 2 would come out before Christmas, or in January:

I clarified this statement in another post, while predicting what the next Apple CPU would be:

So I was half right about the dates, erring on the side of caution. The jury's still out on the A5, although most people think it's a Cortex-9 based chip (especially since it's dual-core):
http://www.tipb.com/2011/03/03/tipb-...a5-chip-guess/

I guessed correctly about the cameras:

I discounted rumors of increased resolution:

I posted a very accurate rumor on when iOS 4.2.1 would be released for iPad

The actual release date was November 22.

I shot down thoughts that Apple would cut prices.

I again shot down speculation on a higher-res screen, based on a tweet:

I also threw my hat into the ring regarding how much RAM the iPad 2 has:

We'll have to wait until the 11th to see how this prediction pans out.
Yeah, but who's counting?
Old 03-04-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I don't know why you interpreted my post in that way.
I was referring to this post:
Originally Posted by CRM114
This is exactly how I feel about jailbreaking. Interesting idea but defeats the point. But then again, I'm not that into piracy which seems to be a common theme in jailbreaking.
"A common theme" implies to me "the majority of jailbreakers do it." If that's not what you intended to imply, then I misread you.
Old 03-05-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never got a 1st gen iPad in hopes that the 2nd gen would wow me. It did, and I'll get a black 16 GB Wi-Fi-only model sometime in the next few months. I don't plan on using it for watching movies, and since I can stream via AirPlay there's no reason to have anything more than 16 GB of storage. It probably won't leave my house often, if at all.
Old 03-05-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great Get this,

Wife wants a iPad for her bday!!

Normally I don't ask wife what she wants for birthday. I kind of think that is cheating. But this year (in August) she celebrates a big one (50). We are planning a cruise and I'm sure I'll get her some jewelry and fix her a nice dinner. But I did ask if there was anything she really wanted....she said an iPad! WTF????

She has a 3+ year old laptop, but as the kids are don't need much help with homework and such anymore, she rarely uses for that. I know she gets on Facebook a lot, email, etc. And she just got an iPhone 4 (she had a iPhone 3G before). I don't know why she would want one...but...aghh...guess I'll be looking closely at them.
Old 03-05-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Get this,

Wife wants a iPad for her bday!!

Normally I don't ask wife what she wants for birthday. I kind of think that is cheating. But this year (in August) she celebrates a big one (50). We are planning a cruise and I'm sure I'll get her some jewelry and fix her a nice dinner. But I did ask if there was anything she really wanted....she said an iPad! WTF????

She has a 3+ year old laptop, but as the kids are don't need much help with homework and such anymore, she rarely uses for that. I know she gets on Facebook a lot, email, etc. And she just got an iPhone 4 (she had a iPhone 3G before). I don't know why she would want one...but...aghh...guess I'll be looking closely at them.
We get it. You want one now and you just know some asshole will pull a quote from page 1.

I'm guessing no USB or ability to run iTunes to update iPhone (or other iPods)....so no...I haven't changed.
Nice try.
Old 03-05-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by auto View Post
We get it. You want one now and you just know some asshole will pull a quote from page 1.
Old 03-05-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 03-05-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No...I'm still not interested...LOL....especially in an iPad. I'd be more interested in a Android tablet. Least I could charge my iPhone with it (I assume I could).

Not sure why wife wants one. I'm assuming for net surfing at home...
Old 03-06-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No...I'm still not interested...LOL....especially in an iPad. I'd be more interested in a Android tablet. Least I could charge my iPhone with it (I assume I could).

uh?
Old 03-06-11, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
uh?
Some Android tablets have USB ports, which can be used to power USB devices. If the tablet wasn't plugged in, you'd essentially be draining the tablet's battery to charge the iPhone, and it may not charge the iPhone that fast or completely, but it'd work at least somewhat.
Old 03-06-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK. And yeah, that doesn't sound like a good idea. Maybe for an emergency.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.