Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Why are PCI slot I/O cards so expensive?

Old 01-31-01, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was just looking at the prices of some stuff; I have two devices which need a parralel port connection, and only one parralel port, so I need an I/O card with an extra parallel port. Simple enough, you migh think. Now, before I got a new motherboard, I had an ISA slot card with a parallel port on it, but now I don't have any ISA ports on my new system and I need a PCI one. So I'm looking at the prices... and PCI cards cost three to five times what the same thing for an ISA port does! Why the hell are PCI-to-serial and PCI-to-parallel cards sooooooo much more expensive than the same things for ISA slots? Is there actually a proper reason, or is it just a conspiracy on the part of component manufacturers?

------------------
Logic Made Easy
God is love. Love is blind. Ray Charles is blind. Therefore, Ray Charles is God.

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: [email protected]
Old 01-31-01, 05:43 PM
X
Administrator

Probably a production volume/demand problem. Not many people buy parallel ports anymore, especially for PCI. Since millions aren't sold they stay relatively high in price.

Check out this company. They manufacture cheap ones: http://www.siig.com/index.html
Old 01-31-01, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

X is probably right about the reason for the higher cost. The legacy devices are all finally starting to disappear. The ISA bus is gone on most new boards. I suspect the parallel port is next followed by the serial port and then the PS2 mouse/keyboard connectors.

I think I've seen some parallel port to USB converters, though I don't know that they'll be any cheaper than a PCI parallel port.