Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

CD-RW drive ?

Old 01-29-01, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am about to purchase a CD-RW for my computer. I will be getting it at Sears, I don't have to, but since I have a $150 gift card there I figure what the hell. I have a few questions, some technical and some not so technical.

Here is my system if needed:
emachine 533id2
533 Celeron
15 GB Hard Drive
DVDROM Drive
128 MB RAM

1. How do I know what type to get, EIDE or SCSI? Does it matter? Will they both work with my computer?

2. What is a good brand that Sears sells? I have seen TDK and HP over there, but they could carry more I don't know.

3. What features should I look for?

4. Sears price matches online retailers. Which store offers the best prices on CDRW's so I can get the best possible deal?

I am looking around the net for the best prices and don't want someone to spend an hour trying to find the best deal, but if you know of a good place let me know.

Thanks for any help I REALLY need it

Old 01-29-01, 12:13 PM

judging by the fact that you have an eMachine, I'd just go for an IDE burner. Stay clear from the HP's, they suck. If Sears has this TDK http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...255780&loc=101
pricematch it at buy.com and its yours for $68. This TDK has BURNPROOF technology and is actually an OEM Plextor 12/10/32, which is probably the best IDE burner on the market right now (Although some might wanna get a Yamaha 16x instead).
Old 01-29-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you for the help.

I called Sears and was told they do not carry the TDK drives even though I saw one less than a week ago on their shelf. The guy even told me they don't carry stand alone CDRW's and tried to sell me a $950 Compaq computer with one built in!

Once I talked to a manager he concluded they only carry Pioneer, Sony, Memorex and Zip CDRW drives. None of which I even saw there when I was looking. If I didn't have this damn giftcard I wouldn't set foot in Sears. There prices suck and the employees are stupid! Maybe I should get something else with the giftcard and buy the CDRW online.

Anyways, do any of those companies make a good CDRW drive? I would assume Pioneer and Sony have some good ones, but you never know.

Luckily I have you guys so I can get educated responses to my questions. If I left it up to Sears I would be screwed.

Thanks again
Old 01-29-01, 02:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jumbojp:

1. How do I know what type to get, EIDE or SCSI? Does it matter? Will they both work with my computer?

Yes it matters! Unless you already have SCSI card I would go with an IDE burner.

quote:

2. What is a good brand that Sears sells? I have seen TDK and HP over there, but they could carry more I don't know.

I would go with a Plextor.

quote:

3. What features should I look for?

RAW DAO support! and 80 min disc support. Burn proof is a nice extra but not a must have.

Old 01-29-01, 02:13 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:
Originally posted by jumbojp:
Thank you for the help.

I called Sears and was told they do not carry the TDK drives even though I saw one less than a week ago on their shelf. The guy even told me they don't carry stand alone CDRW's and tried to sell me a $950 Compaq computer with one built in!

Once I talked to a manager he concluded they only carry Pioneer, Sony, Memorex and Zip CDRW drives. None of which I even saw there when I was looking. If I didn't have this damn giftcard I wouldn't set foot in Sears. There prices suck and the employees are stupid! Maybe I should get something else with the giftcard and buy the CDRW online.

Anyways, do any of those companies make a good CDRW drive? I would assume Pioneer and Sony have some good ones, but you never know.

Luckily I have you guys so I can get educated responses to my questions. If I left it up to Sears I would be screwed.

Thanks again

jumbop, out of the brands that you mentioned the Sear's manager told you they sold, Sony and Zip are probably the best two of the bunch. And that really isn't saying much. The best two "brands" of CDRW drives out there are Plextor and Yamaha. Their drives are the best in quality, reliability, and they are not that expensive.

Recently, it has been discovered that Plextor is manufacturing CDRW drives for other companies (i.e. TDK), so if you can find one of these "rebadged" Plextor drives for a good price, you'll be fine. But I would stay away from the memorex and pioneer burners if at all possible. I haven't heard anything bad OR good about them and why take a chance if you don't have to?

Good luck!
Old 01-29-01, 02:16 PM

Sears.com has the good 12x10xXXx TDK CD-RW for $299. Can you use the GC online?

[This message has been edited by Nocturnal (edited January 29, 2001).]
Old 01-29-01, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk God

quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal:
Sears.com has the good 12x10xXXx TDK CD-RW for $299. Can you use the GC online?

[This message has been edited by Nocturnal (edited January 29, 2001).]

299? ouch, you can get the real plextor for 189.95 (check techbargains.com)
sure you cant use the giftcard, but at $110 difference and getting the real deal, its probably worth it.. Im sure you can find another good use for that gift card

Ive got the plextor 12/10/32 cdrw and it rocks.. i wont ever buy another burner without burnproof technology.. not that Ill need another burner for quite some time