Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer help

Old 01-24-01, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My friend has a HP Pavilion 8750C, and we just finished throwing in a new 256 MB pc100 chip from Crucial. When we boot the comp up, it displays the HP logo, then the Windows 98 load screen, except with black vertical bars on the screem. Anyone know what might be causing this? All connections were triple checked (atleast). My roommate thinks it may be a bad chip or the power supply is now ineffecient. Thoughts? Recommendations?

My roommate is taking EVERYTHING back out so he can get at the chip again and see if it works without it in there Never buy an HP folks.

------------------
http://www.stpaul.gov/depts/police/p...s_current.html
Friends don't let friends solicite hookers.
Old 01-24-01, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think HP uses proprietary parts, meaning you have to order stuff directly from HP. HP sucks ass anyway.

PS. Wrong forum.

------------------
Wayne Campbell: I once thought I had mono for an entire year, It turned out I was just really bored.
-- Waynes World
That's Unemployed_Andrew in #dvdtalk and #other to you!
AIM: CKMorpheus
Old 01-24-01, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Duh, wrong forum. Sorry, thought that the other forum was HT computer stuff only. Aany mod wish to move it?

And crucial lists all the HP stuff on their site, wouldn't make sense to HAVE to order stuff from HP.
Old 01-24-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did he get the exact chip that the crucial site suggested for that exact computer?
Old 01-24-01, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes he did...

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...8750C&x=11&y=7
Old 01-24-01, 06:56 PM

HP does not use proprietary parts. In fact, my brother uses 2 600mhz HP's heavily for MIDI....one is a sequencer and the other is for sampling. I just put another generic pc100 128mb DIMM in his sequencer machine and it booted perfectly the first time without a hitch. All the HPs I've used have been very reliable. I also put a 4x HP burner in my machine nearly 3 years ago and I have yet to make a single bad burn and use it heavily....HP is not nearly as bad as people say.
Jon
Old 01-24-01, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Moving to Computer Forum.

P.S. I have a thread in there that needs an answer.

randyc
Old 01-24-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HP has various models of various quality just like all the other prepackaged computer company. Line for Line, they are no better or worse than anyone else in the desktop line of computers.

SirPablo - I will assume that if you put the old memory back in place and take the new memory out everything works fine it could be the installers fault ya know

only other things I can think of are soem machines still require you to enter and then exit the BIOS setup when you install new memory. Some motherboards do not like 256MB DIMMS. The DIMM could be bad, or you could have damaged it by not taking proper static precautions. Anyway blaming HP is just not right (no I am not a big fan, but lay blame where blame is due)
Old 01-24-01, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for your help. My friend ripped everything out, took the mem out, put it back in, and it worked. Go figure. Thanks for the help though guys.

------------------
http://www.stpaul.gov/depts/police/p...s_current.html
Friends don't let friends solicite hookers.