Reload this Page >

Buying a new printer - need advice

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-25-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 10 year old laser printer does not have the drivers for windows 7 so i am looking for a new printer.

I'm looking for

wireless
smallish - needs to fit in a space about 17x17
windows 7 compatability

speed is not important. I don't print alot.
I go thru about 2-3 months without printing, but then might print about 50 pages in 1 week. I am still using the same cartridge that came with my 10 year old printer.
Will be printing mostly text, occassionally will print some pics.

I was considering this printer, but i read about some comments that if you don't use the printer often, it cleans itself which wastes alot of ink and that is scaring me off from it.

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku...=24-70844499-2

Questions:

when i was looking at printers 10 years ago, laser was good for text and inkjet was not so good for text. Is this still the case?

Is dpi a good indication of quality?
what dpi should i shoot for?
Old 01-25-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Buying a new printer - need advice

I just purchased the linked NX515 a couple of weeks ago after finding my previous dell all in one was not Mac compatible. I REALLY like the network features, even the scanning works via the network. The print quality is also very good both for text, graphics, and pictures.

That being said my prior Epson experience has always been that in the long run the nozzles clog requiring extensive cleaning if you don't print frequently.

I also have a Samsung ML-2010 Laser printer which does the bulk of my daily printing. The cost per page is just much lower with a laser. The Samsung is shared to the network via the Mac which works fine but requires the Mac to be powered up at all times.

Laser is still superior for text, I don't know if you can capture it in the specs as the Epson inket is very good it just doesn't have that laser look to it. If you are currently happy with laser I would stick with laser. There are good deals on lasers too, I paid less than $50 for the samsung although it doesnt have network support.
Old 01-26-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The nozzle clog is an issue with mostly Epson or do all inkjet printers have this issue?

The cleaning requires you to use alot of ink?

How does the cleaning work? Is it some manual process or you just press a button and it starts to clean?
Old 01-26-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

which printer do you have? i use laserjet 4's with Windows 7 with no problems. try the Vista or XP driver
Old 01-26-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
The nozzle clog is an issue with mostly Epson or do all inkjet printers have this issue?

The cleaning requires you to use alot of ink?

How does the cleaning work? Is it some manual process or you just press a button and it starts to clean?
I have only found the issue to be bad on Epson printers. Yes the cleaning basically forces large amounts of ink through the nozzles to dislodge dried bits so it uses a bunch of ink. Its both automatic and can be started via the printer software or on the printer front panel. You can print out test pages that show if the particular color is clogged, although when you clean it does all the colors at the same time.
Old 01-26-10, 06:43 PM

I purchased the Samsung CLP-315 (the non-wireless version) because I wanted a printer for my office that I would just use for occasional prints. I just saw it on sale at a local store (Micro Center) for $100 one day, so I think it's a good printer for that amount of money. They have a wireless model (CLP-315W). If you can find it on sale, I would recommend it. I have other, more advanced printers that I can use when I need faster prints (the CLP-315 is slow). However, I haven't had any quality issues with the printer. The text is crisp, and pictures appear fine.
Old 01-26-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 13 year-old laser printer (Lexmark Optra E) works just fine in Win7 (x64, no less). Are you sure there's no "alternate driver" which will work with it?

I have a business client who bought some kind of consumer-level HP DeskJet (3450? I think) a couple of years ago. The driver was a 250MB download, it brought their machines to a crawl, and left running processes all over the place. After a bit of research, I found that the DeskJet 955 (I think) driver included with Windows 2003 worked just fine, so I installed it on the server and shared it out, then reconnected all the desktops to the new driver. Worked like a charm, and they haven't had a problem since!
Old 01-26-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really curious what laser printer you have that Windows 7 does not support. I have a HP LaserJet 4050 and Windows 7 doesn't have the driver for it. Instead, I just select the next model, which is the LaserJet 4100 and that works fine.

I wouldn't get an inkjet if you rarely print. I rarely print and my Epson inkjet clog up easily.
Old 01-27-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have a NEC superscript 870.
i spent alot of time googling and no one has the driver for win 7 64bit.

Some people have said they used the HP Laserjet III driver as an alternative but it only prints in 300 dpi instead of 600 dpi.
The Laserjet III driver does not even show up in windows 7 for me. I tried to update the list from the internet but it does not work for some reason.