Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need help testing my RAM

Old 01-18-01, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought a 256MB PC133 generic stick from upgradeplanet. The price was great, so I caved in and bought one. But to my surprise it seems to be running fine at CAS2 as opposed to the advertised CAS3. In fact my mobo detected it as CAS2. But I've heard a lot of people having problems with this, and someone mentioned to use a norton memory test. Where can I get such a test, or what else can I do to test the RAM to make sure it isn't truly bad? I have Norton Systemworks 2001, but there doesn't seem to be any memory test mode in it at all.
Old 01-18-01, 10:46 PM
X
Administrator

Send it to me. I'll test it out real good for about 6 months.

Just load all your apps, run the most memory-intensive programs you have for a few days. Reboot a couple of times with the BIOS memory test during this time too. And notice any eccentricities.
Old 01-18-01, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/
download sandra standard then use the mainboard information module then scoll down to see what the specs are on your memory
Old 01-19-01, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What grade of memory did you buy from upgradeplanet? I have a friend that works there.

Many times you will get better than advertised so consider yourself lucky The specs on ram are just a min. it must comply to.

Seriously, I would just run the machine with every app open for a while and see if it crashes more often than it did before this new ram.

Software tests will help some, but they are not perfect. Let me explain - if a software test fails the ram it is most likely bad, if it passes you still won't know for sure.
Old 01-19-01, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never had a problem with apps crashing or anything, but once in a while the whole system just reboots all of a sudden in win2k, and it must be some pretty big problem if win2k goes down. Anyway, I'll try it with sandra standard and see what happens. 4KRG, i bought the generic ~$71 stick they have there for the apollo pro 133a chipset.
Old 01-19-01, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

rebooting is most likely a ram issue. set it back to cas 3.
Old 01-19-01, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

gcribbs, here is what i got from sandra

Bank 6 setting 256MB SDRAM 6-1-1R 4-1-1-1W
Memory Bus Speed 134MHz
Bank Interleave 4-way
What exactly am I looking for?

I'll try setting the ram back to cas3 and see if it works properly then.
Old 01-19-01, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Make sure you run the memory benchmark. You should get 2 figures (Int ALU/RAM bandwith, and Float FPU/RAM bandwith) and comparisons with other systems. Try this with CAS2 and CAS3 settings and see if there's a difference.
Old 01-20-01, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

scroll down to memory module after running the mainboard information module.
it should read memory module1 and it should tell you cl3 up to 133mhz which would mean it should do cas3 up to 133. if it says cl2 upto 133 then it should do cas 2. what does it say? sometimes memory will run at a higher cas speed than sandra says but this will give you a good safe spot to run the memory reliably.
it will also tell you amount of memory on the dimm and sometimes the types of chips on the dimm for example infineon.

[This message has been edited by gcribbs (edited January 20, 2001).]