DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   WPA encryption prevents laptop from acquiring network address....all of the sudden... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/568351-wpa-encryption-prevents-laptop-acquiring-network-address-all-sudden.html)

KillerQ 01-22-10 09:40 AM

WPA encryption prevents laptop from acquiring network address....all of the sudden...

Hey all,

I have an HP Laptop (Win XP SP3) that I am using with a wireless G Belkin Router (model F5D7230-1 v. 6002) with MAC address filtering and WPA-TSK key encryption (firmware is updated)a.

I have been using this setup for well over two years, and all of the sudden, I noticed that my laptop would sit at the "trying to acquire network address" when trying to connect to the internet/router.

When I reset the router to factory settings and apply MAC address filtering, everything works fine. The MOMENT that I apply WPA-TSK (just Like I always have) the laptop will stop communicating with the router and give the error I mentioned above. All of the passwords have been entered correctly and all that jazz....

I read around online, and see that others have this issue as well - but no real solutions or explanations were available....

Any thoughts? Would it be a sign of a faulty router - or is it all software related?

There were no known updates to the router or the laptop previous to this... Also, my wife's laptop (also on the same network) stopped working at this time as well....that leads me to believe that it is an issue with the router and not my laptop.

So.... any thoughts?

Thanks a TON,

Matt!

Psi 01-22-10 10:12 AM

Re: WPA encryption prevents laptop from acquiring network address....all of the sudde

Have you tried to redo the WPA-TSK set-up from the beginning, including re-entering the password? I had one case where the router seemed to "forget" the password, and doing the set-up all over again fixed the problem.

You mentioned that it failed when you "applied" WPA, but I don't know if you just de- and re-activated it, or went through the complete procedure.

zuffy 01-22-10 10:54 AM

Re: WPA encryption prevents laptop from acquiring network address....all of the sudde

I was having that problem with my D-Link router. Even without encryption, my connection was not reliable. I had it replaced.

belboz 01-22-10 03:04 PM

First of all, you really can dispense with the MAC filtering. Anyone who bothers to crack the WEP or WPA encryption is not going to be deterred by the additional step of cloning a MAC address from your network. Similarly, if you've turned off announcing your SSID, that's kind of pointless too.

As to your problem, after you enable WPA-PSK and enter your secret key on your router, your notebook should disconnect. But, if you go back into the wireless settings on your notebook and try to reconnect to your wireless network, it should prompt you for the secret key. After you type that in, does Windows indicate that it has connected to the network and is trying to acquire an address? Or is it failing to connect to the network at all?

KillerQ 01-23-10 12:19 AM

@ Kur...,

I am starting from scratch, not just loading previous saved, settings

@ bel...,

After I tell the router that I want to use WPA-PSK and enter my password of choice, the router will restart as it supposed to - however, after that, I am NEVER able to connect to the network at all anymore. (it seems as if it finds the network in the very first step, but never acquires the address - it just keeps searching) - I can't even log into the router itself.... So, it's blocking me completely. It won't accept my password either.... Frustrating....

Oh, also, I am aware that MAC address filtering is a weak protective measure, but it keeps my neighbors from getting a free-ride...

Thanks,

Matt!

Numanoid 01-23-10 12:44 AM

If this were in Other, you'd have 42 posts by now calling you out for using the phrase "all of the sudden", and no posts actually dealing with your issue. :lol: