Reload this Page >

Home Network setup question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-20-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question about my current home network. I currently have a WRT54G Wireless router next to my computer. I also have a second WRT54G (got it free from someone giving it away) so I ran an Ethernet cable to it so I can have a stronger signal throughout my house and my second floor. We will call this in the "TV Room" for clarity. I could never get a good signal upstairs with my single router in my "computer room".

Anyways, upstairs I have a XBOX 360 with a wireless adapter. I use it to stream stuff to it via PS3 Media Server (which works great with 360). However, there are times when the streaming will hesitate or drop signal. I recently was able to get a Wireless N adapter for the 360 for under $50, but as you can tell I do not have a N Router. My question, can I hook up a Wireless N router to my "TV Room" and still get the "N" coverage? Not sure how that works if that router is the "second" router, not the main router.

My other plan is to possibly go Gigabit network since I stream stuff to my "TV room" through my Hardwire components, but I've even had stuttering there also.
Old 01-20-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Home Network setup question

N and G don't mix, very well. Well, they do, but the N will run significantly slower if there are any G devices on the same network. I'd set it up as two separate Wi-Fi networks, the N upstairs and the G down.

Or, better yet, why not just plug Ethernet into the 360?
Old 01-20-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let me try again, I don't think I explained well the first time.

Computer Room and TV Room are on main floor. XBOX 360 is upstairs (and on main floor...I have two).

Thus, computer room has one wireless router, and the TV Room has a second wireless router. The computer room one would NOT reach my upstairs room where the XBOX is, so that is why I put the TV Room one in.

I DO have ethernet running from my computer room to my TV Room...so the router are connected via ethernet. Then I have ethernet running to my main floor 360 and PS3. The problem is my upstairs 360. I cannot run ethernet to that easily.

My second option. Replace my MAIN router with a wired router. Then, Replace my second router with a Wireless N router. Thus, my main floor PS3 and 360 will still be hardwired, and the upstairs "should" benefit from the "N" signal, correct?

My laptop is "N" and I also have a Wii, but that is barely turned on. I just want to know if my logic is correct. I think that would be the cheapest way to upgrade to gigabit also (wired and wireless combo).

EDIT: What is the difference between Wireless N and Wireless N+?

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 01-20-10 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

N+ sounds like a marketing gimmick. If you are running just N devices, it will work great. If you start mixing N and G (and B) devices on the same network, the speeds will revert to G speeds for everything. So long as you leave any B/G devices turned OFF, it will work fine. Keep in mind that the Wii maintains an internet connection in standby (yellow LED) mode. Make sure it is turned OFF. (Red LED)
Old 01-20-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the Wii tip....I figured it might do that. I'm still debating if I REALLY want to swap everything out. Gigabit would be nice, as I sometimes stream movies from my PC to my PS3 and since it is hardwired, I should benefit from the 1GB. I tried backing up my Blu-Ray movie and then stream it to my PS3. It worked pretty good through most of the movie, but some high action speeds the Video was over 100mbs according to the PS3 Display button.

One more question. Can I use a switch instead of a router? Basically, I would replace my current wireless router that is in my "computer room" with something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D-Link+-...&skuId=7907704. Then I utilize my ethernet cable that is already in place and replace my "TV room" wireless router with a new Wireless N router like this" http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D-Link+-...&skuId=8040121

Thus, I would be gigabit. However, I am unsure if I can have a switch as my first device in the netowrk chain. I'm still unsure how far the wireless "N" would reach. I was getting almost ZERO signal before I added the second router to my network.

EDIT: After a little research, I would need a Gigabit capable ethernet cable also? I know the one I have is probably 7 years old...as it is a 100 foot cable that I have running through a crawl space and my basement. So, I may not be able to take advantage of Gigbit, or would it work?

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 01-20-10 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gigabit is probably a little much. You'd need Cat 6, I believe.

Switch or router shouldn't matter, again, due to your simple setup.

Why not just turn the radio off the computer room box and save your money.
Old 01-24-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just curious, what is the difference between a switch and a wired router?

I checked and I have a Cat 5e cable ran from my PC to my "TV Room" router. I'm still thinking of upgrading my router to a Gigabit "N" router, but then I would need a switch or wired router in my "computer room" to make the link complete.
Old 01-25-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not an expert but my understanding is that a router is needed to share a WAN (the internet) signal with a LAN (your network). A switch is the device that physically splits the signal. Most routers sold now have wifi and a switch built into them. You can cascade switches to give more ports. You can also connect routers to routers by configuring them with ip and disabling DHCP.

Gigabit is not required in your setup, you should be able to stream 1080p on a 100 mb wired network with no problems. That being said a good quality Cat 5e should be able to do gigabit.
Old 01-25-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cseyer View Post
I'm not an expert but my understanding is that a router is needed to share a WAN (the internet) signal with a LAN (your network). A switch is the device that physically splits the signal. Most routers sold now have wifi and a switch built into them. You can cascade switches to give more ports. You can also connect routers to routers by configuring them with ip and disabling DHCP.

Gigabit is not required in your setup, you should be able to stream 1080p on a 100 mb wired network with no problems. That being said a good quality Cat 5e should be able to do gigabit.
The reason I wanted to upgrade to Gigabit is that I made a copy of a Blu-Ray movie to test it out. (One I own, nothing illegal). I streamed it from my PC to PS3 with PS3 Media Server and I noticed the bitrate was over 100mbps...which I thought was odd. Maybe it was the way I converted it....of course, this is the PS3 media server transcoding also, so I figured Gigabit would give me the overhead. Wireless N would just be beneficial for my upstairs XBOX 360 since I already have the N adapter.

I currently have my two wireless routers connected together by using IP on the second one and disabling DHCP like you stated.
Old 01-25-10, 04:28 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow View Post
The reason I wanted to upgrade to Gigabit is that I made a copy of a Blu-Ray movie to test it out. (One I own, nothing illegal).
Yes it is. Cracking the encryption is illegal under the DMCA, even for discs you own. And discussing that here will get this thread closed.
Old 01-26-10, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry...my mistake. I will avoid that discussion.
Old 01-26-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There should be NO reason any 1080p video should be pushing a 100 Mbs?? Reference this wiki artile the max video video rate is bluray at a max of 40 Mbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate

The question I would ask is where is your internet coming into the network? That is the only point you need a router, the other connection could be a switch which would save you some money and setup hassles. The other problem with wireless N is that with most routers if you have a mixed environment with G you cannot get any better than 54Mbs, in any case if you are having trouble with connection distances my experience with N is the effective range is MUCH less than G. Just things to consider before you drop a bunch of cash and are disappointed.
Old 01-26-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cseyer View Post
There should be NO reason any 1080p video should be pushing a 100 Mbs?? Reference this wiki artile the max video video rate is bluray at a max of 40 Mbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate

The question I would ask is where is your internet coming into the network? That is the only point you need a router, the other connection could be a switch which would save you some money and setup hassles. The other problem with wireless N is that with most routers if you have a mixed environment with G you cannot get any better than 54Mbs, in any case if you are having trouble with connection distances my experience with N is the effective range is MUCH less than G. Just things to consider before you drop a bunch of cash and are disappointed.
The only reason I am using two routers is I got one of the 54G's free from my Dad. He picked up like 3 of them at one point, and had no use for them. I know my ideal setup would be one router and 1 switch, however, the wireless in my computer room did not reach my upstairs rooms...which was odd. I was just investigating what it would take to go gigabit and N in my network.

Also, some routers are cheaper than a switch. I think I could do a wired router where my Internet connection is in my Computer room, and run it to my wireless router in my TV Room. The TV Room is centrally located and should provide whole house coverage.

I only have a few wireless devices in my house.
Wii - Which I have set to off.
360 (TV Room) - Hardwired....oh wait, that is not wireless
PS3 (TV Room) - Hardwired
360 (Upstairs) - Wireless N adapter
Sony Laptop - Wireless N built in.

Thanks for the wiki reference....maybe I did something wrong on my end.

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 01-26-10 at 09:52 AM.