Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD Region compatible for computers?

Old 01-19-01, 02:35 AM
Cool New Member

I want to know if you can play all region encoded DVD's on your computer.

I have a Creative Encore DVD player on my computer, and wanted to know if I had the option of playing Region 2 & 3 DVD's.

If so, what Region has the better quality?
Old 01-19-01, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Moving to DVD-Rom & PC Hardware
Old 01-19-01, 02:53 AM
X
Administrator

Yes, I can play them all. It depends on the DVD-ROM drive and region-setting software.

And the region doesn't really matter. There are slight NTSC/PAL conversion issues and, depending on what kind of display and playing/conversion software you are using, either can appear better. I don't think you can say any particular output format is superior in actual practice, although PAL has the potential to be better.
Old 01-19-01, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First things first, you need to find out if your DVD-ROM is region locked. Go to The 7th Zone and check out their DVD drives locklist, to see if your drive is locked or not. While you're there, read up on the stuff about region locking on DVD drives, it'll come in handy in the long run. Anyway, chances are your drive WILL be locked, so you'll probably have to update the drive's firmware to unlock it. Read the bit at the above link about firwares first. Then, find the model number of your DVD drive; you should be able to get it from Device Manager. Now, look on either the 7th Zone again, or at The Firmware Page and see if you can find a region-free firmware for your drive. Flash it, and bingo, you got a region free drive. You also need region-free player software, so have a look at The 7th Zone again to find a patch program for whatever player software you're using. And there you have it, region free DVD player on your computer.

Warning: Firmware flashing WILL invalidate your drive's warranty. Firmwares are NOT like software drivers; if you flash your drive's firmware badly, or with an incompatible firmware, you will probably render your drive completely useless. So be careful, and don't say I didn't warn you...

------------------
"Moral Majority"? There's at least two things wrong with that label...

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: [email protected]