Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The one and only ANDROID thread....

Old 10-29-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

The reviews on OnePlus 6T are pretty amazing. I may have to check it out in a TMobile store to see if it's worth spending several hundred less than the Pixel 3/3 XL.

Reviews: https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/29/...atibility-deal

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...rprint-reader/

https://gizmodo.com/oneplus-6t-revie...tph-1830066240
Old 10-29-18, 08:27 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
The reviews on OnePlus 6T are pretty amazing.
I love the front screen fingerprint reader and the small notch (I'd prefer no notch, but it can be blacked out).
Old 11-01-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yesterday I ported my mobile # from AT&T Prepaid ("Go Phone") to Red Pocket (AT&T MVNO). Am saving a ton of cashola - will be happy to go into those details if anyone is interested.

One of the things I've already noticed is that RP does not support carrier-side call forwarding. I used to be able to dial a call-forwarding code to instruct AT&T to intercept my incoming calls and send them elsewhere. I need this because I work on a Navy base that has only one tower for 100+ square miles and service is sometimes sketchy - would have my calls forwarded to Google Voice, which would ring my desk phone and, ironically, my cell phone, which would serve to let me know that service was restored. The code I used was **21* + outbound forwarded number + #. So if I wanted to send my calls to Jenny the code was **21*8008675309#. Cancelling call forwarding was ##21#. I had a shortcut on my phone's main screen for each number, one to enable, and one to disable.

Since RP doesn't do this on the carrier-side, I get to go through my phone's settings menu to do this. It's buried 3-4 levels down into the dialer app.... Phone > Menu > Settings > Calls > Call Forwarding. I can put Jenny's number in there (800-867-5309) and toggle forwarding on or off. No big deal, but what a pain to have to drill down through so many layers. https://videotron.tmtx.ca/en/topic/m...ng.html#step=1

I'm hoping some Otter knows how to either create a shortcut that will take me right to this sub-sub-sub-sub menu when tapped, or knows of a 3rd party app or workaround I haven't considered that would either bring me to this sub-sub-sub-sub menu quickly OR would let me toggle forwarding from the phone side.

Edited to add: For those who still have unused Otter Bucks in their account, I'm offering @5 for help. Just gotta get with our banker (Groucho) to complete the transaction.

Thanks!

Last edited by kenbuzz; 11-01-18 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-01-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the way I do it is I give everyone my Google Voice number upfront. That way I don't have to toggle call forwarding on/off, GV just routes it always. I can even answer on my PC via Gmail, and send/receive texts as well.

You could port your existing cell to GV, and have GV forward to your new cell number.
Old 11-01-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure, I could do that, and I appreciate the "outside of the box" solution you've suggested, but that's just not a desired solution for me at this time. I'm merely hoping to simplify the on-phone matter that's requiring me to drill down through multiple layers of menus to get to an oft-used feature.
Old 11-01-18, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Sure, I could do that, and I appreciate the "outside of the box" solution you've suggested, but that's just not a desired solution for me at this time. I'm merely hoping to simplify the on-phone matter that's requiring me to drill down through multiple layers of menus to get to an oft-used feature.
When in doubt, "there's an app for that". Easy Call Forwarding
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rding&hl=en_US

No idea if it's any good, I just googled "android app call forwarding toggle" and it came up. Good reviews though, and the developer looks to respond to bugs.
Old 11-01-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. Unfortunately, like all of the other call forwarding apps I've found that one relies on dialing a code to toggle carrier-side forwarding. RP does not forward calls, so I have to do phone-side forwarding. But thanks anyway.
Old 11-01-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to give this app a shot:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...shortcuthelper

It may allow me to create my own shortcut to the sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-(you get the idea)-sub-sub menu I'm looking for.
Old 11-04-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After reading reviews of the Pixel 3 from people who have used it for a few weeks now, I think I am going to pass. Good camera, but not great hardware for the money. The Samsung Galaxy 10 should come out in February and promises to be a major update on the line.
Old 11-04-18, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
After reading reviews of the Pixel 3 from people who have used it for a few weeks now, I think I am going to pass. Good camera, but not great hardware for the money. The Samsung Galaxy 10 should come out in February and promises to be a major update on the line.
I'm not a person who needs cutting edge hardware. What I think it lacks, is more than made up for by the great camera, the unlimited Google Photos space, the immediate updates to Android and overall smoothness of Android on the Pixel line. I was considering the One+ 6T, but I don't think I can give up the free storage/better camera.
Old 11-05-18, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not a person who needs cutting edge hardware. What I think it lacks, is more than made up for by the great camera, the unlimited Google Photos space, the immediate updates to Android and overall smoothness of Android on the Pixel line.
I'm not either, in theory, but there are already complaints about choppy performance on the new Pixels with multiple apps open. Just 4GB of RAM really is pretty low for a phone with such a premium pricetag.

If the Pixel 3 is a good buy now, it will still be a good buy when the Galaxy 10 specs get announced after the new year. Samsung knows they will have to step up their camera game on the Galaxy line to compete with Google and Apple so it will be interesting to see how well they do that. Plus, the Galaxy 10 may very well have integrated 5G support.
Old 11-09-18, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The problem with the pixel 3 is out of warranty support. Say you crack the screen. Google as of today has no option to fix it at the moment and no eta either directly or thru an approved third party.

Of course if you have insurance then you can do that, but sometimes it might not be worth it. I haven't cracked a screen in my years using smartphones. And let's say that i cracked the latest iPhone, I can take it to the Apple store, pay $199 and get it repaired or replaced same day
Old 11-09-18, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I'm not either, in theory, but there are already complaints about choppy performance on the new Pixels with multiple apps open. Just 4GB of RAM really is pretty low for a phone with such a premium pricetag.

If the Pixel 3 is a good buy now, it will still be a good buy when the Galaxy 10 specs get announced after the new year. Samsung knows they will have to step up their camera game on the Galaxy line to compete with Google and Apple so it will be interesting to see how well they do that. Plus, the Galaxy 10 may very well have integrated 5G support.
There's also an issue with pictures not saving, choppiness with the camera opening, double notch issue, and overheating when charging.

These things will likely be fixed sometime in the future but Google is charging a high price, yet taking its sweet time fixing things. Apple seems much more responsive fixing bugs. To be fair Samsung isn't quick either but comparing against Samsung isn't a good idea since the point to Pixel was quick updates
Old 11-09-18, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

I was at a BB yesterday and had a chance to look at the Pixel 3. Holy shit that screen. It is ridiculous compared to the OG Pixel screen.
Old 11-15-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Just picked up a 3 XL with BB's $200 off sale. I will crack that sucker open later and get it going.

Last edited by Deftones; 11-15-18 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-15-18, 03:48 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just picked up a 3 XL with BB's $200 off sale. I will crack that ducker open later and get it going.
Congrats. I hate the notch, but that Night Sight is totally awesome.
Old 11-16-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

So far Pixel 3 XL is great. Fast as fuck. Screen is light years better than OG XL. Haven't had a full day for battery life yet so can't comment on it. The notch is annoying but I am getting used to it. Biggest issue with it is loss of notification space.
Old 11-16-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So far Pixel 3 XL is great. Fast as fuck. Screen is light years better than OG XL. Haven't had a full day for battery life yet so can't comment on it. The notch is annoying but I am getting used to it. Biggest issue with it is loss of notification space.
You can disable the notch if you wanted to in developer options (no root required)
Old 11-16-18, 02:54 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
You can disable the notch if you wanted to in developer options (no root required)
When you do that, does it black out the information on the sides of the notch, or does it move that information lower below the blacked-out areas?
Old 11-16-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk God

I know but that seems pointless. Not like I didn't know it wasn't there when I bought it.
Old 11-16-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
When you do that, does it black out the information on the sides of the notch, or does it move that information lower below the blacked-out areas?
It moves the information below is notch.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/1...loper-options/
Old 11-16-18, 03:14 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It moves the information below is notch.
Thanks. That looks OK, at least in the picture. It looks like a thicker bezel, and it blends in quite well. I will check it out at a store. I normally go for a Samsung Note because of the pen, but the Pixel camera is very appealing.
Old 11-24-18, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://petapixel.com/2018/11/24/google-pixel-3-vs-sony-a7r-iii-a-low-light-shootout/
Old 11-25-18, 01:42 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

https://petapixel.com/2018/11/24/google-pixel-3-vs-sony-a7r-iii-a-low-light-shootout/
That is amazing. I looked at the Pixel 3 yesterday, and that notch is just too big for me, even if blacked out. I probably would have been more OK with it if the bezel had the same height as the Pixel 2. I wish Google and Samsung would make phones together again, and build a hybrid of Pixel 3 and the upcoming Note 10.
Old 11-25-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been using Pixel Night Sight on my Pixel 2 XL recently, including taking pictures at night at Disneyland. It's pretty damn amazing what it can do.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.