DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-07-11, 08:42 AM   #2501

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Here's a question: if I end my contract on an old Android phone (in my case, an OG Droid) can I still run apps and things on it in Wi-Fi only (essentially turning it into the Android equivalent of an iPod Touch)? Or will it be bricked?
Old 10-07-11, 09:17 AM   #2502
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Here's a question: if I end my contract on an old Android phone (in my case, an OG Droid) can I still run apps and things on it in Wi-Fi only (essentially turning it into the Android equivalent of an iPod Touch)? Or will it be bricked?
It won't be bricked, you can use it only on wifi.

I did something similar with my old G1: I turned off the mobile data on it, and my FIL uses it as his voice phone, with wifi for data.
Old 10-07-11, 09:20 AM   #2503

I won't be using it as a voice phone either, no service from the phone company at all. Does that make a difference?
Old 10-07-11, 10:02 AM   #2504
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I won't be using it as a voice phone either, no service from the phone company at all. Does that make a difference?
Should be fine, I did that with my Thunderbolt for a while, basically, you will get no voice or data via mobile. You can use it for everything else via wifi. You can make free calls over wifi via grooveip, but the quality isn't great.
Old 10-07-11, 10:03 AM   #2505
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It shouldn't. Here's testimonies from people who have used a Droid without cell service.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...r-service.html
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/moto-droid...l-service.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...pod-touch.html
Old 10-07-11, 10:16 AM   #2506

Thanks, gents! That's just what I needed to know, and I was having a hard time finding the right answers via Google.
Old 10-07-11, 10:28 AM   #2507
DVD Talk Hero

check on selling it. Alien dalvik is coming and will let you run android apps on iOS
Old 10-07-11, 10:49 AM   #2508
DVD Talk Hero

in case you get stuck in the activation screen, flashing a new rom perhaps, then you can do this to bypass activation on the Droid.

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/06/10...otorola-droid/
Old 10-07-11, 10:49 AM   #2509
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
check on selling it. Alien dalvik is coming and will let you run android apps on iOS
I think the idea was to simply continue using a device he already has on a platform he knows, instead of having to sell off the device and buy another device on a different platform.

Alien Dalvik is intended for developers and app store owners to port Android apps to other platforms, not end users. Apple doesn't allow for other app stores or programs that can load and run other programs, so you wont' see Alien Dalvik on the Apple App Store ever:
http://www.myriadgroup.com/Device-Ma...en-Dalvik.aspx
Old 10-07-11, 10:51 AM   #2510

Quote:
Pretty cool, but I still wanted to retain the physical device for testing purposes.
Old 10-07-11, 06:25 PM   #2511
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Sprint has stopped deploying WiMAX and has a majority stake in Clearwire, the company that provides their WiMAX and has been talking about switching to LTE for some time now. I think a switchover is inevitable. It's just a question of when.

Oh and they also signed a $20 billion dollar deal with LTE provider LightSquared: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/17/l...lte-agreement/
Called it: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/07/s...etwork-to-lte/
Old 10-10-11, 08:21 AM   #2512
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

I'm still new to the Droid and I have a couple questions.

I downloaded an app killer, are there any apps that SHOULD be kept running? If I kill something like the Amazon App Store, all I have to do is launch it from the app page when I want to use it, so no need to have it running, but what should be running at all times without losing anything important?

Also, it moves apps from phone to SD and reverse. I have a 32GB SD installed, should I move 'everything' that will move? Are there any benefits from leaving an app on the phone itself?

Thanks,

~S2K
Old 10-10-11, 08:44 AM   #2513
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000 View Post
I downloaded an app killer, are there any apps that SHOULD be kept running?
Task Killers are a no-no on Android devices, as Android has a built-in memory manage that handles killing tasks. It doesn't hurt battery life to have your Android memory fully utilized, and actually speeds up multitasking. You should only be concerned about an app being loaded in the background if it's using excessive CPU cycles.

Read these articles for more info:
http://lifehacker.com/5650894/androi...uldnt-use-them
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/02...dont-need-one/

Quote:
Also, it moves apps from phone to SD and reverse. I have a 32GB SD installed, should I move 'everything' that will move? Are there any benefits from leaving an app on the phone itself?
The in-phone app memory is typically much faster. Both because the built-in memory is typically faster than an SD card, and that the built-in memory is likely formatted as ext2 or similar, which is a faster file system than the FAT32 formatted SD card.

Also, apps installed on the SD card will obviously stop working when you remove the SD card, or mount it on your PC to transfer files. Apps installed in the built-in app storage will not have these issues, which is why some apps can't be moved at all (they absolutely need to be available at all times).

Last edited by Jay G.; 10-10-11 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 09:42 AM   #2514
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, great reads and great info, thanks Jay!!!
Old 10-10-11, 10:07 AM   #2515
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, so now my question is this:

What all is being stored on my SD card automatically? ...and, is there a way to see what is actually on my SD card without using my PC? In my settings, it says my SD's max is 29.73gb with 28.71gb still available. Is media the only thing being stored on my SD?

**EDIT: I just discovered that I downloaded the ASTRO app, which let's me view my SD card contents. I went a little app crazy when I first got my phone and forgot I had this one.

A bit confused

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 10-10-11 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 11:19 AM   #2516
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000 View Post
What all is being stored on my SD card automatically? ...and, is there a way to see what is actually on my SD card without using my PC? In my settings, it says my SD's max is 29.73gb with 28.71gb still available. Is media the only thing being stored on my SD?
Various things will get stored on your SD card. Media like music, photos, and videos will get stored on it. Documents and downloaded files will also be stored here. However, Apps have the option of storing data on the SD card as well. Some games will download and store a significant amount of their game data to an SD card, in order to avoid maxing out app storage.

In regards to your 29.73GB, a "32GB" SD card is measured in decimal, while the Android measures GB in binary. This means that the advertised 32GB is the same amount of strorage as the 29.73GB Android reports. Some people use the term GiB to refer to the binary GB, but it's not in major use.
http://wintelguy.com/gb2gib.html

AS you found out, ASTRO and other file manager apps allow you to look at and manage the files on your SD card.
Old 10-10-11, 04:20 PM   #2517
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
wonder what happens if you have it in your back pocket and sit down
Same thing that happens when you sit on any phone.
Old 10-11-11, 09:25 PM   #2518
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
Same thing that happens when you sit on any phone.
You get shards of glass in your ass?

PSN Name ZacharyTF
Old 10-12-11, 01:34 PM   #2519
DVD Talk Hero

You can get androids including the Droid Bionic free with new 2 year contract on a new line.

http://www.droidmatters.com/news/dea...year-contract/

keep in mind that Amazon has different terms stricter than Verizon, such as $250 etf if canceled within 181 days, on top of the prorated $350 - $10 for each full month of use Verizon etf (so if you buy and cancel right away, that'd be $600 etf).

http://wireless.amazon.com/help/200308000
Old 10-17-11, 06:00 PM   #2520
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone using Google Wallet? It's only officially available on the Nexus S 4G on Sprint, but I found a 'hack' that enables it on my non-4G Nexus S. Google even gave me $10 USD to spend. I'm going to try it out at a coffee shop up here, since it should work (it just uses Mastercard's PayPass technology, and even Visa's PayWave cards work on PayPass terminals). My bank also issued me a new credit card with an NFC chip. I can't wait until I can program that into my phone, too.
Old 10-17-11, 10:50 PM   #2521
Time Lord

I installed it on my NS4G but it made the phone sync continuously and lose power hysterically fast, so I uninstalled it.

I got to mess around with a Galaxy S II over the weekend. I did side by side speed tests on the NS4G and the Epic Touch 4G and distressingly the Galaxy S II was significantly faster in every instance, sometimes by several mbps. I think the Nexus S 4G is a semi-broken phone in regards to reception.

Unfortunately, the Galaxy S II had problems of its own, such as roaming in the middle of west LA where I was getting three bars on my NS4G. Then a friend of mine got the Galaxy S II for AT&T and is getting much faster speeds on HSPA+ than either Sprint phone was getting on WiMAX. I always knew Sprint was slower than the other carriers, but I had no idea how drastic the difference was. It's making me think of ditching Sprint for AT&T or Verizon, but they're both using tiered data now. There's just no winning with cell phone companies.

On the plus side, Ice Cream Sandwich/Nexus Prime press conference is tomorrow.
Old 10-17-11, 11:08 PM   #2522
DVD Talk Hero

Verizon advertises. 5-12 down, i'd say it's about right. Fastest i've seen is over 20mbps up AND down. For a heavy user, 2gb isn't very much, on heavy months, I'm near 30gb. Sprint will get lte sometime in the future. Speed depends on how the infrastructure is. 3G at it's peak is fine for most people at around 1.5mbps.
Old 10-17-11, 11:09 PM   #2523
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

weird about the constant syncing.

if the "Nexus Prime" has an AWS version for the sake of all the new Canadian carriers, I'll likely pick it up on release. 4.65" sounds massive, and I not-so-secretly want a Windows Phone 7 phone, but if I'm sticking with Android, it'll only be with the Nexus line of phones.
Old 10-17-11, 11:19 PM   #2524
Time Lord

From what I've heard, they're making a 4.65" screen by reducing the bezel to practically nothing, and the soft keys will now be on-screen. So the actual phone may not be much bigger than the Nexus S. My concern is the materials they use. The Nexus S is lightweight plastic. Feels completely insubstantial.

D.Pham, Verizon's advertising 5-12 down on 3G or on LTE? I can't break 500 kbps down on Sprint's 3G. Fastest I've seen on WiMAX was 8 mpbs down and that was outside. In a building I'm lucky to get 2 mbps down.

I know Sprint's getting LTE, but I'm not very optimistic about what the speeds will be. It's scary when AT&T can get faster speeds on a modified version of 3G than Sprint can get with a 4G technology.
Old 10-18-11, 08:18 AM   #2525
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
From what I've heard, they're making a 4.65" screen by reducing the bezel to practically nothing, and the soft keys will now be on-screen. So the actual phone may not be much bigger than the Nexus S. My concern is the materials they use. The Nexus S is lightweight plastic. Feels completely insubstantial.

D.Pham, Verizon's advertising 5-12 down on 3G or on LTE? I can't break 500 kbps down on Sprint's 3G. Fastest I've seen on WiMAX was 8 mpbs down and that was outside. In a building I'm lucky to get 2 mbps down.

I know Sprint's getting LTE, but I'm not very optimistic about what the speeds will be. It's scary when AT&T can get faster speeds on a modified version of 3G than Sprint can get with a 4G technology.
WIMAX was never 4G and HSPA+ is a newer tech than WIMAX