Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video card? Tv Out?

Old 01-12-01, 12:20 PM

I am looking to purchase a new video card for my new pc I am building. I am only bertain about one thing and that is that I want AGP. I am looking to stay in a reasonable price range. I would like to get one with TV out so I can get rid of my monitor, but I need to know ifmy games, dvdplayer and normal desktop will look good on my tv or if it is just a novelty (tv out). So basically I would appreciate if someone would give me a run down of the best tv out video cards also I do enjoy playing games so one that is also good with games. I am thinking about $250 and under. 3 questions: is tv out any good?, what cards are best with tv out?, and overall recommendation of which card to purchase. Thanks a ton.
Old 01-12-01, 12:35 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

unless you have a veerry crappy monitor, your t.v. would have nowhere near the resolution of a computer monitor. so the picture may be bigger on a t.v., it won't be as sharp and your "field of view" will be much smaller.

--HN
Old 01-12-01, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, TVs have nowhere near the resolution of even the cheapest monitors, so your display will look so crap it's not even true. Might be just about acceptable for playing games on, but you definitely wouldn't want to try and do anything serious on there. If you're looking to get rid of something, it's probably a better idea to get rid of your TV and buy a decent TV tuner card for your PC; watching TV through your PC will give FAR more satisfactory results than trying to run your PC through your TV...
Old 01-13-01, 12:08 AM

A TV is blurry, you can't trade it for your monitor. But if you want a good card with TV out I suggest the Matrox G400 Max 32megs. It's Matrox so of course it has by far the best 2D quality and DVDMax using DualHead is the only way to play DVD on a TV using a computer, all the other TV outs are ugly IMO. Of course you can also play games on your TV if you want but I would not suggest doing using your TV to browse web sites or write text.

The problem with this card is that is not the fastest for 3D games (but it supports environemental bump mapping!!!)
Old 01-16-01, 11:11 PM

I am really just looking for a way to unliminate my tv or monitor and increase space. I saw something by gateway called the destination or destination II it is a pc/tv combo. How is that? And are there any good pc/tv combos out there?
Old 01-17-01, 05:41 AM
Mod Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by TJ22:
I am really just looking for a way to unliminate my tv or monitor and increase space. I saw something by gateway called the destination or destination II it is a pc/tv combo. How is that? And are there any good pc/tv combos out there?

I believe that Gateway has dropped the Destination line. We currently have two of the monitors and are looking to add a third. They are reasonably good for presenting to a small group, but no where near the quality of a good "traditional" monitor. It's a cost/quality trade off. These monitors sold new for about $1000 for a 30+" model. That compares to about the cost of a quality 21" monitor today... so it would have been something smaller at the time. If you're really interested in them, you can pick up a refurbished model at Computer Geeks... be warned, these are *big*, and may cost quite a bit to ship.

36" - http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=205-1036B

27" - http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=205-1027

------------------
D.