Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What's a good, cheap printer?

Old 01-13-01, 02:26 AM
NT

I'm in the market for a new printer. It's not going to be used heavily for graphics or anything, just for printing school assignments, notes, etc. What are some good printers that won't hit my wallet too hard? I like the HP deskjets, but replacement ink cartriges are like $40(CND). How are the Canon bubblejets? Are the older models any good? How much do replacement ink cartridges cost? How about Lexmark?

Any help will be much appreciated.

------------------
The Hunger Site - Donate Free Food
Old 01-13-01, 04:36 PM

I have a Canon that I bought 5 years ago. I don't have a problem with it and black ink is almost free! (a different story for colors though). What you can do is buy ink refill for your Canon cartidge. I bought one 4 years ago for US $20 that has 2 black ink bottles... I still using the first bottle to refill my cartridge!

You won't find official refills from Canon but ink is ink and you still use the official cartridge from Canon so the quality is as good as the original. In fact I think the ink quality is better (at least the one I bought) than the Canon ink, it seems darker when I print.

HP also makes really good printer, the print quality is a bit better than Canon IMO but only for pictures (for text they are about the same)
Old 01-13-01, 09:53 PM
NT

Thanks for the reply Boba. I went out today and bought an HP deskjet 648c. Unfortunately, everytime I try to print something, the paper goes in half way and then gets stuck ( ). I'm going to return it tomorrow and pick up a Canon.

------------------

[This message has been edited by NT (edited January 13, 2001).]
Old 01-13-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by NT:
Thanks for the reply Boba. I went out today and bought an HP deskjet 648c. Unfortunately, everytime I try to print something, the paper goes in half way and then gets stuck (:mad . I'm going to return it tomorrow and pick up a Canon.

Do yourself a favor and avoid canon inkjets. The odds are against you

HP makes the best high end ink jets $250 and up.

Epson makes the best low end inkjets $200 and below.

The HP you got is worth about $100, based on that give this epson a try

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/compute...8811&loc=10966

Old 01-13-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I have a Lexmark Z51. I paid $169 for it a year ago, and now they have Z52's for about that price. I like it alot, and I have NEVER had a piece of paper get jammed...NOT ONCE!!!!!!!!

Lexmark has a cheap printer, the Z22, I believe. I think it's only $39, or something close to that(Best Buy).
Old 01-13-01, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i like cannon inkjets. the ink cartridges are cheaper than the other companies. lexmark cartridges are some of the most expensive. I buy cheap refurb or sale printers and have very good luck. I have never paid over $50 for any printer and they have lasted over 2 years each. my last one is still working after 3 years at my mom's . price the cartridges before buying and check out websites to see about complaints. I have been very happy with my last two cannon printers.
Old 01-13-01, 10:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:
Do yourself a favor and avoid canon inkjets. The odds are against you

HP makes the best high end ink jets $250 and up.

Epson makes the best low end inkjets $200 and below.

The HP you got is worth about $100, based on that give this epson a try

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/compute...8811&loc=10966

I don't agree. HPs are very good, but Canon aren't bad. IMO Epson are about the worst, I would chose Canon, HP or Lenxmark before an Epson!
Old 01-13-01, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Real Boba Fett:
I don't agree. HPs are very good, but Canon aren't bad. IMO Epson are about the worst, I would chose Canon, HP or Lenxmark before an Epson!

I have owned HP, canon, lexmark, and epson in large quantities and I would disagree.

NO company makes great inkjets in all price ranges, this is a fact

Saying that a high end canon is a good as a high end HP is just ignorant
Old 01-14-01, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

4KRG- I agree that the high end HP's are great. However the uses for NT are very light use- I would not recommend a high end printer. an inexpensive printer that uses inexpensive cartridges is what I would recommend. Which is why i think NT should look at a cannon. My bjc-2100 is on sale all the time new for around $69. I have seen it for as low as $49. The black ink cartridges are sold in a two packs for around $13.99.at $7.00 each this is a bargain.
If I was in your position I would go with HP high end printers also
Old 01-14-01, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by gcribbs:
4KRG- I agree that the high end HP's are great. However the uses for NT are very light use- I would not recommend a high end printer. an inexpensive printer that uses inexpensive cartridges is what I would recommend. Which is why i think NT should look at a cannon. My bjc-2100 is on sale all the time new for around $69. I have seen it for as low as $49. The black ink cartridges are sold in a two packs for around $13.99.at $7.00 each this is a bargain.
If I was in your position I would go with HP high end printers also

That is only half my point, seriously, epson low end ink are great I have owned/used quite a few under $100 epson inkjets and they always performed as expected. The low end HPs on the other hand really suck bad (I would buy a canon < $100 printer before I would buy am HP < $100 printer, but would pick epson overall in the < $100 printer category.You can always beat in costs by refilling, it works great.

I have had nothing but trouble from the canon inkjets and obviously YMMV
Old 01-14-01, 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:

Saying that a high end canon is a good as a high end HP is just ignorant

Read my posts, that is not what I said. HP printers are better, specially in the high end market (about all companies use HP printers, mainly laser).

But in the low end market, the print quality is ABOUT the same (HP being a bit better), but Canon printers are much cheaper than HPs.

Bottom line: HP printers are the best printers IMO, Canon are the best "quality for price" printers IMO.
Old 01-14-01, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Real Boba Fett:

Bottom line: HP printers are the best printers IMO, Canon are the best "quality for price" printers IMO.

Low end HP printers suck.

Low end go epson or lexmark

under no case go canon
Old 01-14-01, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For their price, HP's are hard to beat IMHO.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-14-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had a HP 682, it was horrible, now using Epson, only decent printers out there for the price. the Epson 740's were about 50$ US for a while when they were getting rid of them.

------------------
The 3rd warrior of the OTHER forum
Old 01-15-01, 08:27 PM
NT

Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate the input. I returned the defective printer today and was going to exchange it for something else, but then I noticed that all HPs had $45 rebates attached to them. So I figured, to save $45, I could give the 648c another chance.

I'm off to set it up right now. Wish me luck!

------------------
Old 01-16-01, 01:15 AM
NT

Funny story... as it turns out, the printer I returned wasn't busted afterall. I know this because I had the same problems with the new printer. Anyway, I called HP support (excellent service BTW) and was told that BOTH colour and black ink cartridges have to be inside the printer (whereas I had only inserted the black cartridge). Anyway, I got it working. The printing quality is fine, but there's just one problem. When I print several pages at once, the papers in the IN tray tend to stick together, and so I get a few lines of the document on one page, and the rest of the document on another page that's stuck to it. I had the same problem with my old HP deskjet 540. So who's to blame here? Is it that the printing rollers don't do a good job of separating the pages, or is it low-quality paper that likes to stick together? Is this a common occurrence with other types of printers? I'm going to have to print ~75 this week and the next, and having to print each page one-by-one will be mighty tedious.

------------------