Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Internet Explorer doesn't connect to the internet..

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-11-09, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is weird since it obviously works on firefox and other programs but nope, on IE it says Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage and if i run a diagnostic that's what it says

Last diagnostic run time:
12/11/09 00:00:43 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
info FTP (Active): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
info Redirecting user to support call

DNS Client Diagnostic
DNS - Not a home user scenario

info Using Web Proxy: yes
No DNS servers

DNS failure

Gateway Diagnostic
Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settingsisabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server:http=127.0.0.1:5555 Proxy Bypass list:<local>
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.1.1
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.1.104
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)
info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
info Skipped gateway connectivity check because of IE proxy configuration

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table

info The default route is valid
info The loopback route is valid
info The local host route is valid
info The local subnet route is valid
Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.1.104

Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.

And plus i've noticed that i can't upload anything on firefox either, i tried uploading a video on youtube and it doesn't work and even hosting an image on imageshack doesn't seem to work. I think it's all due to a virus spyware thing i had yesterday but it seems to be gone now, i even downloaded norton anti virus and it didn't find much.

I even tried a systeme restore of a couple different dates and it says system restore incomplete

This is all very weird!
Old 12-11-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Internet Explorer doesn't connect to the internet..

Run a repair.

You don't mention the OS So I'll assume it's XP SP2 or later. If this is Vista make sure to start the command line with administrative privileges. (The easiest way is to use the type cmd in the Vista Start Run box and use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Enter instead of just pressing Enter. This will open the Command Prompt in Administrator mode.)

Disable active anti virus scanning first, right click over the icon down by the clock in the lower right of the desktop and choose to disable the anti virus..

Go to start>run, clear out anything in the text box, type 'cmd' (no quotes) and click 'ok'. This will open DOS, or the command line.

Type 'sfc /scannow' (with no quotes) this command runs the most complete check and repair of IE and windows possible, including all internet and network related stuff, and does a protected file scan for corruption or malfeasance.

If it prompts you for the windows XP CD, you have significant OS corruption, insert the CD and repair.

Reboot.

Then run a complete reset of all tcp/ip and socket management on the OS.

Go to start>run, 'cmd' should still be in the text box, if not type it again, click 'ok' This will again open DOS, I mean the 'command line'.

Type:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt (enter)
netsh winsock reset (enter)

The first command, if entered correctly, gives NO feedback it simply moves to a new line. Then type the second line. The 'winsock' command, if entered correctly, will tell you to reboot, do so.

Test browsing.
Old 12-11-09, 04:45 PM

Are you running a local proxy? If not, you need to remove the proxy server IP from IE settings (looks like it is currently 127.0.0.1:5555). Some viruses will plug in a proxy automatically as part of their payload, so that could possibly be the problem..

To clear it, in Internet Explorer go to TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, CONNECTIONS tab, LAN SETTINGS. Then uncheck 'Use A Proxy Server...' and click OK
Old 12-12-09, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Geminix View Post
Are you running a local proxy? If not, you need to remove the proxy server IP from IE settings (looks like it is currently 127.0.0.1:5555). Some viruses will plug in a proxy automatically as part of their payload, so that could possibly be the problem..

To clear it, in Internet Explorer go to TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, CONNECTIONS tab, LAN SETTINGS. Then uncheck 'Use A Proxy Server...' and click OK
Bingo, that was exactly it. Thanks.

And as for Dr Mabuse'S amazing and explicative answer, i tried it and it did ask me for my WinXP disc (which i can't find at the moment, i'll try finding it tomorrow)

Thanks a bunch both of you!
Old 12-13-09, 11:08 AM

Glad you got it working!
Old 12-13-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jonno2006 View Post
Bingo, that was exactly it. Thanks.

And as for Dr Mabuse'S amazing and explicative answer, i tried it and it did ask me for my ShittyP disc (which i can't find at the moment, i'll try finding it tomorrow)

Thanks a bunch both of you!
I'd pull down malwarebytes and run it to make sure you've cleared out the malware.