Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows Vista help (PC restore didn't fix problem)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-02-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be swearing off Dell after the past 10 months with this desktop (three motherboards, all fans replaced and a HD crash two months ago). Now I'm running into a new problem that Dell seems to want to pawn off as a program issue. Last week during a very brief power outage my computer shut off and when it came back up Windows Vista (Home 64-bit) wouldn't show up. I just got a blank, black screen after the Dell welcome and Microsoft, Inc. scroll bar. I restarted and things were okay.... until today.

I got the same problem again this morning and called Dell. After an hour of trying to find the problem they had me do a Dell PC Restore (wiped off all my programs and files). Vista was working again and I started loading it back up with Chrome, Winrar, AVG, Spybot, Nikon Picture Project, Flash, Java and IE, which was already in Dell's restore. After one of these programs wanted a restart I was back to not having Windows open again. Called Dell and the guy had me do Safe Mode With Networking and it took 10 minutes for Safe Mode to open. Right then he told me it was not an issue with Windows, but most likely a program I loaded. Huh? I had used all those programs for months with no problems and now they crash Windows twice in one day? And when I tried to run Safe Mode (not with Networking) it wouldn't open at all.

I'm going to run some hard drive tests when I get home from work, but just curious if anyone thinks that any of those programs I mentioned could cause
Windows Vista to not act correctly or even start? Dell wants me to pay their software department to troubleshoot (not happening) even though it could be hardware related. Not placing blame on Dell if there was an issue with the power outage in my house.

This is long, but thanks for any thoughts.
Old 12-02-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Windows Vista help (PC restore didn't fix problem)

Sounds like the malware I read about in the last 2 days. Will post a link when I get to my computer
Old 12-02-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Sounds like the malware I read about in the last 2 days. Will post a link when I get to my computer
Hmmm. Yes, post whatever you have.
Old 12-03-09, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...y-updates.aspx
Old 12-03-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting. Thanks Al. I'll look into that some more. I am still experiencing some weird stuff. Dell had me update the BIOS and that seemed to help a little.
Old 12-03-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Last week during a very brief power outage my computer shut off

The motherboard, fan and HD failures could all be due to a power problem in your house.

You should invest $50 in something with a battery backup

http://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-O...ef=pd_sim_e_15

Once power spikes hit your machine, anything can happen. The drive could have a bad spot (and those usually grow over time) Windows itself could have just been corrupted. Point is, lots of things could be going on.

Step 1 - make sure your basic hardware is solid

Download the Dell system diags http://support.dell.com and test your motherboard (you can use the Dell diags for everything else too, but I can tell you for a fact their hard drive test is flawed and there memory test is only superficial)

Open your machine and see who actually made the hard drive and download their diagnostic software

Western Digital

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

Seagate

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

or you may have another, a quick google of that manufacturer with the words diagnostic software after it should find it for you.

Once you are fairly certain your hard drive is ok, test the RAM, this test should run overnight (download links further down the page)

http://www.memtest.org/

Once you are sure the RAM is solid, it might be worth running the restore again to go back to square one.

Only this time, before you start loading your programs, install all the latest hardware drivers for your machine. They can be found at

http://support.dell.com

Video
Sound
Network
etc
etc

download all of them and install them

Then run a windows update and make sure you have all the latest patches, etc from MS installed.

NOW start loading your software, one at a time. You might even want to manually kick off a System Restore point between each one.

If you follow the above exactly and your hard drive and ram test good, then Dell is correct, you have some other software glitch going on that is not explained in your posts here or you have a minor hardware glitch the diags are not picking up on. These hardware issues can be caused by power spikes that were enough to degrade a device, but not enough to kill it. It happens all the time.
Old 12-03-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

4KRG, that is some great info. Thanks. I also looked over the info al_bundy posted and found some interesting "black screen" issues. I called Dell for the second time today and they decided to just send me a new computer. I didn't even ask for one, so I'm kind of pleased. I've had plenty of problems with this tower from day one (refurbished). I definitely will be buying the battery backup, though.
Old 12-03-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is exactly why I tell friends and family to buy Dell. Their actual hardware is not really any better or worse than any other major brand at the same price point, but Dell does have good customer service **IF** you know what to say to them when you are on the phone.

I am glad Dell is standing behind their product, that is why you bought one.

Last edited by 4KRG; 12-03-09 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Those reports were deemed bogus.
Old 12-03-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought they said the english company was wrong but malware was involved
Old 12-04-09, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
I thought they said the english company was wrong but malware was involved
Yeah, that's what I got out of it as well. I ran their quick fix, but it didn't resolve my problem.