Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

4KRG - Since you're such a fan of Dell workstations...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

4KRG - Since you're such a fan of Dell workstations...

Old 01-12-01, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4KRG:
You've mentioned many times on this board that you have (and love) many Dell Optiplex systems. I'm just wondering if you ever had the GX110 model, since that is what I'm probably going to order at work.

I know that the different models are pretty much the same as long as they have the same guts inside, but I don't want to get one that maybe has some glitches. BTW - the GX110 just happened to be the model that best fit into the budget, given the options I wanted.

I know this is an odd post, but reviews are hard to come by for the Optiplex models, unlike the Dimensions. So I thought I'd ask someone who has some first-hand experience.

Thanks. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Professor Frink, Professor Frink, he'll make you laugh and make you think. He likes to run and then the thing with the ... person. Oh boy, that monkey is going to pay.
Old 01-12-01, 08:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

Gee, if only I did impressions!

So, I'm obviously not 4KRG. But, it just so happens that I'm sitting at a GX110 right now. I've probably got a half dozen of these and any new systems we get in the near future will be the same model. We are getting them to replace our GX1s which are ending their lease cycle. There are other departments that have dozens of GX110s and I've not heard of, or had, any significant problems.

Do you have any specific questions or concerns about this model?

[signigicant?? what on earth is a "signigicant" ]

------------------
D.

[This message has been edited by Dead (edited January 12, 2001).]
Old 01-12-01, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have/had plenty of GX110 Optiplex models. GREAT MACHINE!! I don't remember all the details, but I think the biggest reason I switched to the GX200 was SCSI. Too much hassle to get Dell to put scsi in a 110.

I used a 110 myself for about a year and had 100's in the feild, I probably still have 100's in the field but I know many were leased and have gone back to dell already.

I have/would buy a gx110 without any hesitation. I am glad dead likes them too
Old 01-12-01, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys. It's good to know I'm not purchasing a lemon.

And just in case you want to know [about 100 of these]:
- Pentium III, 933 mhz
- 512 MB PC133 RAM
- 17" monitor

- and since I'm on the IT staff, mine includes a CDRW (oooh, yeeeaaaahhhhhhhh)

------------------
Professor Frink, Professor Frink, he'll make you laugh and make you think. He likes to run and then the thing with the ... person. Oh boy, that monkey is going to pay.
Old 01-12-01, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Professor Frink:
Thanks guys. It's good to know I'm not purchasing a lemon.

Keep in mind every company makes lemons You are purchasing a soild design and good support. Out of 100 you may see a bad one. Odds are in your favor with the optiplex and that is what's important. Perspective, my friend, perspective.

quote:

And just in case you want to know [about 100 of these]:
- Pentium III, 933 mhz
- 512 MB PC133 RAM
- 17" monitor

- and since I'm on the IT staff, mine includes a CDRW (oooh, yeeeaaaahhhhhhhh)

You would be better off buying it without the cdrw and getting a plextor. Just my 2 cents. Don't get me wrong, the one from dell is fine (I think it is a sony, but not ure) but plextor is the BEST and this one is for you
Old 01-12-01, 03:50 PM

My last job was at a hospital that was a Dell shop (several hundred). My current job is in the process of switching from Micron (historically great notebooks but poor desktops) to Dell Optiplex. The first wave was the GX-150. So far I like them. I've never been disappointed by any Dell product or their service, and doubt you will either. I've known several people who switched their shops from Micron and/or Gateway to mostly Dell.

Coincedentally, I just bought an Optiplex GX-200 for my home off of Dell's refurbished sales site (it's en route now). I first started looking at the 110's but was put off by the 100MHz SDRAM limit. Are you sure the ones you're buying have the pc133 (significantly faster) on board? Thay also won't run ATA 100, but the 200's won't either.
If you can live with the small black case, consider the 150, just to have newer architectures. That's my two cents...