Reload this Page >

Looking for rackmount NAS

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-25-09, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I need a rackmount NAS for work. Basic functionality, nothing special. Here's what I need:

- like I said: rackmount
- windows XP and windows server 2003 need to access the storage space (via mapped drive??)
- raid 5 capable
- 2TB - 4TB raw space

Basically, what I need it to do is store all my backups of my machines and servers. The NAS does NOT need to take care of the backup, it just needs to offer harddisk space to the individual machines that make their own backups (acronis).

Suggestions? Ideally, I'd buy this for $1,500
Old 11-25-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Looking for rackmount NAS

You have to be on drugs to back up work data to disk
Old 11-25-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Any particular reason for your opinion? Do you have any alternatives to suggest?
Old 11-25-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No idea if it's good or not.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822201003
Old 11-25-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Any particular reason for your opinion? Do you have any alternatives to suggest?
tape

for 4TB you can buy older LTO-3 tapes. i've had 2 hard drives fail within 3 days of each other in the same RAID5 array that holds a 1.5TB SQL database. i replaced the first failed drive and it took almost 2 days to rebuild the array. 3 hours later another drive fails.

i was in the grocery store when the first drive failed and didn't really want to go back to call HP. good thing I did go back.

bad tape means just that data is gone. if the NAS crashes or the data is erased by accident then all the data is gone
Old 11-25-09, 10:32 PM

tape

bad tape means just that data is gone. if the NAS crashes or the data is erased by accident then all the data is gone
I am sure many people have good and bad experiences both with disk and tape. Let's not discuss this in this thread please.

I am looking for suggestions for NAS at this point. Anybody any suggestions within my price range? Thanks.
Old 11-25-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had 2 hard drives fail within 3 days of each other in the same RAID5 array that holds a 1.5TB SQL database. i replaced the first failed drive and it took almost 2 days to rebuild the array. 3 hours later another drive fails.
It sounds like you didn't have a backup of any of that data in the RAID. A RAID in and of itself is not a good backup plan. You should always backup your data to something separate, and the further physically apart, the better.
Old 11-25-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LolaRennt View Post
I am looking for suggestions for NAS at this point. Anybody any suggestions within my price range? Thanks.
Not too familiar with rackmount NAS.

Amazon has a NAS from LaCie that's well within your price range:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012BJU16/

LaCie makes decent external drives, but I have no idea what their record is regarding NAS. I've found one customer review for it:
http://www.nextag.com/Lacie-301298U-...4/reviews-html

This PC Mag review from 4 years ago liked it, although not as much as the Buffalo Terastation:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1780716,00.asp

Also, while not exactly a NAS, the DroboPro runs via iSCSI, which may work if it's mounted near the server running the backups:
http://www.drobo.com/resources/iscsi.php

Unfortunately, the DroboPro starts at your maximum price barebones, with additional costs for drives:
http://www.drobostore.com/store/drob...ctID.121902100
Old 11-25-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny, I tend to think backing up to tape is pretty crazy. I backup to disk, and offsite archive to disk. I hate tape.

Anyway on point, I think you're going to have a hard time finding anything decent for $1500. If I was set on that price, I'd build my own. 2U chassis/board set & low end core2 based cpu, 5-6 1TB drives and run opensolaris on it. You'd get ZFS filesystem, compression and (in the next update) built in dedupe.
Old 11-26-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Its going to be hard to find something for $1500.

I suggest the Netgear ReadyNAS line, they are really good. I use a ReadyNAS DUO at home and its rock solid.

Here is a 4TB rackmount version from Amazon for ~$1900 http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-RNR441...9239156&sr=1-9

There is an 8TB version as well using 2TB disks.
Old 11-26-09, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

D2d is the big thing now but it's a lot more expensive than lto-4 tape. And lto-5 is coming next year
Old 11-26-09, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Honestly NAS is not the answer for backup. NAS should be used to host the files for each of those servers and then the NAS itself is backed up. In this day and age though you have to make due with what you can and tape is not a cost effective or easy to manage backup option for multiple servers.