Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Looks like it's time for a new PC...ideas?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-20-09, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

So I have a PC that I built like 3 years ago. I think it only has 2gigs of RAM, a low end video card (GeForce 8800 I believe), and a 250gig hard drive. I also have 2 DVD-RW's (which is pointless) and Windows XP Pro.

I just got a new 20 inch HD monitor that was actually bigger than my old one so I have been using this PC alot. I was thinking of getting Windows 7, but before dropping close to $200 on it, I figured why not upgrade all the way?

Now my main question is, should I just buy a new mobo, video card, RAM, and maybe a blu-ray drive? Or should I buy a new PC from Dell, HP, etc?

I'm looking to spend under say $600 if possible. I don't need a top of the line video card, my old hard drive is fine (250gigs is overkill as it is), and I am thinking maybe 4-6 gis of RAM is fine.

I sometimes play WoW on this PC, but no hardcore graphic intense games or anything. The Sims 3 was probably the most demanding and that ran fine.

I am not even sure how much Blu-Ray drives are. I know the whole $600 limit is probably wishful thinking, but I figured what the hell.

So enlighten me.

EDIT: I forgot to add the processor is nothing special either. Just a C2D 4300.

Last edited by nickdawgy; 11-21-09 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-22-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looks like it's time for a new PC...ideas?

Building your own is better most of the time. But...

Do you plan to keep upgrading your PC every six or 12 months?

If you don't plan on doing that, don't care about overclocking, etc. Just buy a Dell and forget about it. You should be able to get a good Dell around $600 that will last you 2 or 3 years.

I have a mix right now, Dells from work and PCs that I built and keep upgrading, and all of them work fine for what they are suppose to do.
Old 11-22-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

It doesn't sound like you're doing very much intensive to really need an upgrade. Are you running into applications or things running slowly? My system is now about 2 years old with a Core 2 Duo 6550, 4 GB RAM, and an 8800GT and it's still running fine and playing recent games like Fallout 3 without any problems at all. I bought a Blu-ray drive a few months ago for about $60 (to go with my existing DVD Burner) and have Windows 7 on it, and everything is fine and dandy.

Sounds like you could throw another 2 GB of RAM in there, pick up Windows 7 for $100, and throw in a Blu-ray drive if you've already started a Blu-ray collection and it will be just fine for about $200. Another option could be to see what your motherboard supports and drop in a faster Core 2 Duo or Quad.

If you have the upgrade bug, there's probably no point in going to anything other then a Core i7 or maybe an i5 to save some money. Starting there with a 6 GB triple channel kit is already going to eat up $400 of your budget though.
Old 11-22-09, 09:48 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This looks like a pretty good deal...

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop...m?sku=10719705

Just add a Blu-ray drive. $100 at most and they should be much lower next Friday.
Old 11-23-09, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

An 8800 is a low end video card?
Old 11-23-09, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I suppose I could just upgrade the drive to a Blu-Ray. The problem with Windows 7 is my copy of XP on here is well, questionable. I had XP on a store bough machine and it died on me a few years back so that's why I built this one.

Without going into too much detail since we can't talk about it, I am not sure if I will be able to upgrade or just have to buy a new install.

The mobo only has 2 slots, so I guess I could buy 2 sticks of 2 gig or so, but I wonder if it will support that much.
Old 11-23-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up a Dell for about $400 last December through their website, it's worked great.
Old 11-23-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah I'm back into building a PC myself, ordered the stuff today actually. Went with the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black @ 3.2GHz w/ an Asus mobo (combined = $230), using the RAM (4gb Cosair DDR2/800)/Graphics (GTX260)/HDDs (750gb) from my current machine and bought a new case (SFF). My current processor (Intel Core 2 Duo 6420) is definitely showing its age. PassMark wise, I'm jumping from a Intel Core2 6420 @ 2.13GHz (Score: 1269, Ranking: 257 ) to AMD Phenom II X4 955 (Score: 3722, Ranking: 51) though I'm now wondering if I should have just gone w/ the 965. Wanted to i5 but those mobos are just way overpriced right now, and DDR3 is quite pricey atm.

I haven't done any computer building in ages, looking forward to seeing the performance hike. I absolutely love that motherboards come with decent integrated video (HD Video processing) and include HDMI and Optical Audio outputs nowadays.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-23-09 at 08:50 PM.