Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1.5TB HDD, reliable?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-20-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased the mentioned drive from Costco for $129 (after taxes). I thought it was a good deal.

I haven't opened it up yet. I finally got around to looking online at some reviews and I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews about drive failures. I know that typically people who have problems post reviews and those that don't have problems usually move on with their lives. So I wanted to ask people on here what their thoughts are on this drive.

I will be using it with a Vaio running XP SP2 to store video files from my camcorder (records in HD so I need the space) and to store photos. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-23-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1.5TB HDD, reliable?

so nobody has any suggestions or opinions here huh? any help is appreciated.
Old 11-24-09, 07:03 PM

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with it, but the information below is from reading a lot on internet forums.

Yes, many people report problems on this particular drive. Apparently though, it is solved with a firmware update from Seagate. If you are ok with doing this, then I'd say go for it. If updating firmware scares you, return the drive. Wait 6 months, and buy the 2TB version for the same price.
Old 11-24-09, 09:26 PM

I have a 1.5tb Seagate drive for 6 months now and I've had no problems so far. I also have quite a few 1tb Seagate drives, which are supposed to be more reliable, and I've had problem with one of these. I sent it back for a replacement.
In general, I like Seagate drives esp. w their 5 year warranty. I have had problems too with some of their portable hard drives but have been able to readily have it replaced even though I've used it for 2 years. Unfortunately I could not recover the data, so was glad I had a backup (albeit outdated) somewhere.
Just be careful with your use, and esp. do not move the hard drive while it is being accessed. I think this is one of the biggest cause of hard drive failure, esp. for portable drives.

Good luck!

Last edited by DVDGamer; 11-24-09 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-25-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was going to pick this hd drive up from Costco. But after reading all the reviews I decided not to. I just ordered a Western Digital WD Elements 1.5 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive (WDBAAU0015HBK-NESN) from Amazon.com for $99.99. I also used my Discover card and got $10 more off for a final cost of $89.99. I know 1 year warranty compared to a 5 year warranty. But could not beat the price for it. Thinking about picking up another one.

And just think about 2 weeks ago I picked up the Western Digital Elements 1 TB External HD from them for $99.99, damn you Amazon.com.

Last edited by kahuna; 11-25-09 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-25-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Ive personally had far more WD drives fail on me than seagate.. seagate has always been good to me, and on the few issues.. their warranty was quick and painless to deal with.

btw.. fujitsu has been the worst in my experience