Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Video making with a PC---HELP!!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video making with a PC---HELP!!!

Old 01-09-01, 03:47 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have friends who edit videos using Macintosh. I only have a pc and a Sony DV camcorder. I will need a fire wire port. Does anyone know what is the minimum configuration is for my pc inorder to do video capture? Does anyone know which software to use for editing videos in pc? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-09-01, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You'll need a way to import your footage to the computer. Best way to do this is a firewire port since you're working all digital. To do that you can buy either a video card with firewire support or an external video capture board (a device that plugs into your USB that has all the necessary connections on it).

As far as system requirements- a minute of full screen (729 x 480) takes about 250 MB. You do the math for how much space you figure you'll need. Editing software starts at $70 for some cheapo editing programs, and thos like Premiere run around $500 (or less if you look around the, um, ...internet sites). To research some different video cards that should suite you, check out
http://www.dv.com
http://www.videomaker.com
Old 01-09-01, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do a little DV stuff with movies of my little girl. I use this card

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...211621&loc=101

and a sony digital 8 camcorder. For what little I do it has worked great. It came with a version of Ulead studios software that works just fine for basic editing and adding text/effects (like fade). Adobe Premiere is the best if you want to pay $$$$.

I would say you need a min of 128mb od ram, a PII 350 processor, and tons of free hard drive space. In raw format 1 minute of video at 640X480 (max res of my old camera) is around 2 to 3 hundred MB.

Keep in mind that windows 98 has some max file size limits that will also cap you. I think it is 3g or 4g max size per file in win 98. I have been able to much more in windows 2000 (file size limit is in the terabytes)
Old 01-09-01, 09:49 AM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
Keep in mind that windows 98 has some max file size limits that will also cap you. I think it is 3g or 4g max size per file in win 98. I have been able to much more in windows 2000 (file size limit is in the terabytes)
<HR>

Here are the limits:
FAT16 -> 2GB
FAT32 -> 4GB
NTFS -> Didn't think there was one

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason