Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Computer problems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer problems

Old 01-06-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 year old cpu started having problems over the past 4 months and I am having a difficult time with Best Buy and their In-home service techs.

So far I have had the video card and cd-rom drive replaced. But now it's telling me that I am running out of resources and one area of drive c has phyiscal damage. I spent an 1 1/2 on the phone with the above mentioned support techs in which I was told to delete everything off my taskbar and move it to the desktop. They finally will send someone to replace my hard drive with a new one.

My co-workers have told me that what works for them is to "fry" the computer and have it replaced. They want me to hook my cpu to a car battery. Is this the route I have to go to get a working computer? All I want is one that will work consistently and will be fixed/replaced as the PSP that I bought supposedly guarantees. I don't appreciate all the lost time I have had to put into making this computer functional.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to get Best Buy to help me?
Old 01-06-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Basic problem - TOO many PC repair jobs and not enough qualified people.

What happens?? - qualified people migrate quickly to high paying jobs, leaving places like Best Buy with the bottom of the barrel (not always stupid people, but entry level people)

I hate to say it, but you are better off backing up anything you need and frying the sucker. If it is a slightly out of the ordinary problem (or less than obvious) an entry level tech will NEVER fix it.

Car batteries are not needed, there are easier ways.

Other than that I suggest you talk to a manager, not middle manager but the top dog, and voice a complaint in writing CC'ed to everyone you can find that is high up in the chain.
Old 01-06-01, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I totally agree, but I realize every one at some point starts at entry level. My problem is with the phone operators who you call for help, and they spend more time going around the problem hoping you would just give up.

I don't want to do damage to my cpu, but if I must....
Old 01-07-01, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>MYSELF

Other than that I suggest you talk to a manager, not middle manager but the top dog, and voice a complaint in writing CC'ed to everyone you can find that is high up in the chain.

<HR>

Doing it in writing to a manager will have far better results, send it certified mail and send it to more than one manager (like a manager and then his manager marking CC on the letter so the lower manager can see he will be in deeep crap soon)

PHONE CALLS ARE WORTHLESS in cases like this.

or fry it

Old 01-07-01, 10:16 AM

Well all I can say is that we're going to have alot more problems like this in the future. I'm almost a senior majoring in computer science. I would say that 80% of the people in my major are complete idiots. All they think is computers mean money, who cares if I know anything about them. Even my instructors are idiots. I just sit back and laugh to my self when an instructor with a PhD comes to class with his laptop to teach and you see about 15-20 things open up in the system tray of windows. Like I said IDIOT.

Now I've worked with computers since I was about 8 years old. I know for a fact I'm more qualified than ANY instructor at my school. This is a real problem.

Here's my advice for all employers looking for tech people. Instead of only requiring they have that piece of paper called a degree, find out if they know anything about computers.

.... and back to the original topic.

It sounds like there is nothing wrong with your computer at all. Most likely you need a fresh install of windows. That means formatting the drive and starting over. And don't use one of those backup recovery CD's if your system came with one. All that does is put all that crap that you don't need back on your pc and you'll have the same problem again in a few months. If you have any questions email me.

[This message has been edited by LostHiWay (edited January 07, 2001).]
Old 01-07-01, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by LostHiWay:
Now I've worked with computers since I was about 8 years old. I know for a fact I'm more qualified than ANY instructor at my school. This is a real problem.
<HR>

I had the same problem, hence I stopped taking computer classes. I was an Econ major if you were curious.

quote:<HR>

Here's my advice for all employers looking for tech people. Instead of only requiring they have that piece of paper called a degree, find out if they know anything about computers.
<HR>

Wow, I bet no one ever thought of that before

It is obvious you have never tried to hire people on a budget in real life. I would love to only hire qualified people, but there is a little thing called profit that most stockholders are interested in. The number of computer jobs far exceeds the number of qualified candidates, therefore, qualified people get paid a lot.

The way most shops work is they have one, maybe two, qualified people and the rest are entry level, in training type people. Some of the entry level folks are good and learn quick, most are not. Bad news is the ones that learn tend to get some experience and move on. Most days I feel like I am just teaching tech school instead of working.

But all we really need is the experienced college kids to solve the worlds problems with a simple sentence on a forum

.... and back to the original topic.

It sounds like there is nothing wrong with your computer at all. Most likely you need a fresh install of windows. That means formatting the drive and starting over. And don't use one of those backup recovery CD's if your system came with one. All that does is put all that crap that you don't need back on your pc and you'll have the same problem again in a few months. If you have any questions email me.

<HR>

Thought I read the hard drive had been replaced, but on a re-read it looks like it is soon to be replaced? Not too clear. Format and reinstall is always step one, I thought that had been done already. IF the machine is just flakey then write a letter and get it replaced.

Old 01-07-01, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Who the hell told you to plug your pc to a car battery... it'll be obvious you did something crazy to fry it. If you want to fry, just ESD the sucker, it's not easily noticeable and causes nice damage. You can also do something simple like leaving it plugged in and trying to plug your drives in the wrong place like... hum... try to jam the floppy drive connector on a cpu jumper, that should cause a few sparks, but then again, it might kill you as well.
Old 01-07-01, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LostHiWay, how will installing windows (I am running win 95 B version) help with the constant crashes, losing resources and damage to drive C?

4KRG, I have a new replacement hard drive coming in the next few days, it hasn't been replaced yet. The tech's, on the phone or those who came to my house, have never once suggested format and reinstall.

Feneant, What is ESD? Also, I first heard about the jumper cables from fellow employees, but I really thought it might work when a Best Buy manager told me to try the same thing!

As for the experience conversation, I think you definatly get that at the higher end stores, but for my needs Best Buy was where I bought my computer. What I am looking for is not Tech mumbo jumbo, but rather someone who can help me resolve my problems with my computer in a thoughtful and courteous way. At this point I would trade off an overly experience person for someone who values customer satisfaction.

Old 01-07-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by POWERBOMB:

4KRG, I have a new replacement hard drive coming in the next few days, it hasn't been replaced yet. The tech's, on the phone or those who came to my house, have never once suggested format and reinstall.
<HR>

wow, worse than I thought, have these guys ever seen windows before?

At this point I would trade off an overly experience person for someone who values customer satisfaction.
<HR>

Customer satisfaction and experienced people have both been lost in the PC price wars. I demand both and never get either (like the good old days) Both of these things cost money and at 6% or less profit they rarely happen. You get what you pay for.