Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD Talk DVD-ROM FAQ

Old 07-07-00, 07:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

Updated April 2, 2001

I have created this FAQ page because so many questions keep coming back. If you find any incorrect information, if I'm missing any information, or if I left out a question, please reply to the thread.

DVD Talk DVD-ROM FAQ
DVD Talk DVD-ROM FAQ

I don't have time to read the entire FAQ right now. Can you tell me the important stuff to look for?
What is macrovision?
Can I defeat macrovision when using a DVD-ROM setup?
Can I play DVDs from other regions with my DVD-ROM drive?
What hardware decoders support DTS audio?
What software decoders support DTS audio?
Which software decoders will down-mix DTS audio to 4-speaker surround sound?
What hardware decoders support Dolby Digital audio?
What software decoders support Dolby Digital audio?
Which software decoders will down-mix Dolby Digital audio to 4-speaker surround sound?
What's the difference between software and hardware decoders?
Does my video card offer hardware DVD decoding?
Can I output audio from my DVDs to my audio and/or video receiver?
Can I output video to my TV?
Can I capture still images from a DVD using a DVD-ROM drive?
Can I capture video from a DVD using a DVD-ROM setup?
Is there a way to play DVDs in a CD-ROM drive?
Can I copy DVDs using my DVD-ROM drive and CD-R/CD-RW drive?
What's the difference between a DVD-ROM setup and a stand-alone DVD player?
What is a good hardware DVD decoder card?
What is a good software DVD player?
What is the best DVD-ROM drive to get?
What is the best DVD kit to purchase?
What are the requirements to play DVDs on my computer?
Where can I get the latest drivers and software for my decoder card?
Where can I download the latest firmware for my DVD-ROM drive?
How can I find out how fast my DVD-ROM drive is?
Can I get a remote control for my DVD-ROM setup?
How can I get rid of the Remote Selector nag screen?
What is the difference between DVD-ROM and DVD-RAM?
Should I replace my CD-ROM drive with a DVD-ROM drive?
I have a DVD that doesn't play correctly. What is the problem?
Why does my DVD skip at random points in the movie?
I have a question that isn't listed in this FAQ. Where can I find the answer?

Q: I don't have time to read the entire FAQ right now. Can you tell me the important stuff to look for?
A: Here it is in a nutshell (a really small nutshell). Pioneer Slot loading DVD-ROM. Power DVD (450MHz system) or Hollywood Plus (133MHz system). Remote Selector. X10 Mouse Remote. 7th Zone. DVD Genie.

Q: What is macrovision?
A: Macrovision is a copy-protection method used by both DVD and VHS that prevents recording to any other media. If the video fades from dark to light to dark, and so on, you know it's working. However, macrovision can be a big problem if the only way to connect your DVD decoder card to your TV is via your VCR.

Q: Can I defeat macrovision when using a DVD-ROM setup?
A: Maybe. I use a program called Remote Selector. It works with all major hardware decoders. Many Hollywood Plus owners prefer Zone Selector because it is free. Sometimes there are ways to get around macrovision with software decoders, but there are so many different combinations that there is no definite way to get around macrovision without purchasing a separate box to place between the TV and video card (~$100). A good place to start looking is at 7th Zone.

Q: Can I play DVDs from other regions with my DVD-ROM drive?
A: Maybe. There are two aspects to this; the DVD-ROM drive's region locking and the ability of the software/hardware decoder's ability to play DVDs from other regions. To find out if your drive is region locked, use Drive Info. Remote Selector works with most major hardware decoders for this purpose, but doesn't address possible issues with DVD-ROM drive region locks. Zone Selector serves the same purpose as far as region switching, but only works with the Hollywood Plus decoder. There is also a program called DVD Genie which works with most software decoders as well as the Hollywood Plus decoder. Another tool that may be helpful in your quest for region-free play is Region Killer. The problem with is that some drives are region locked, which means the drive itself will only allow playing of DVDs from a specific region. Sometimes you can overcome this issue by upgrading your firmware. A good place to start looking for general firmware upgrades to help you in this matter is 7th Zone. Be extremely cautious when upgrading your drive's firmware. If the firmware is corrupt or you don't allow the update to finish, you will probably never be able to use the drive again.

Q: What hardware decoders support DTS audio?
A: Both the Hollywood Plus decoder and the DXR3 decoder will pass a DTS signal through the SP/DIF digital output on the decoder to an audio receiver that is equipped with a DTS audio decoder.

Q: What software decoders support DTS audio?
A: The newer versions of Power DVD and Win DVD can both pass a DTS signal through the digital output that exists on some of the newer sound cards (like the Sound Blaster Live!) to an audio receiver equipped with a DTS audio decoder. There is also a version of Win DVD that will do full decoding of a DTS audio stream. This means that you will not need a DTS decoder to listen to the DTS audio existing on many DVDs. If you have a 6 channel sound card (like the Sound Blaster Live! 5.1), the DTS version of Win DVD will allow you to enjoy the full benefits of 5.1 channel DTS audio. If DTS is not supported by a software decoder (or by the certain settings in Win DVD or Power DVD), the audio stream will be ignored by the software.

Q: Which software decoders will down-mix DTS audio to 4-speaker surround sound?
A: The DTS version of Win DVD is the only software decoder that will do this.

Q: What hardware decoders support Dolby Digital audio?
A: All Hardware decoders will pass a Dolby Digital output on the decoder to an audio receiver that is equipped with a Dolby Digital audio decoder. In addition to this, the decoder will also down-mix a Dolby Digital 5.1 track to a 2 channel PCM audio track.

Q: What software decoders support Dolby Digital audio?
A: All software decoders will down-mix a Dolby Digital 5.1 track to a 2 channel PCM audio track. Newer versions of Win DVD and Power DVD will also pass a Dolby Digital signal through the digital output that is available on some of the newer sound cards (like the Sound Blaster Live!) to an audio receiver equipped with a Dolby Digital audio decoder. Some of the Cinemaster based players (including the ATI DVD player) will also allow you to pass the audio stream through a sound card's's digital out. However, to do this you will probably need DVD Genie.

Q: Which software decoders will down-mix Dolby Digital audio to 4-speaker surround sound?
A: Most versions of Win DVD and Power DVD will do this.

Q: What's the difference between software and hardware decoders?
A: With a hardware decoder, the audio/video stream is decoded on a separate add-on board in your PC. These add-on boards have one or more chips on them that are like mini-CPUs designed specifically for decoding DVD streams. A software decoder relies heavily on the PC's CPU to get the stream decoded into audio and video which the sound card and video card can deal with. Some video cards have Hardware Motion Compensation and/or IDCT which will lower the amount of CPU that is required to decode the DVD-Video stream.

Q: Does my video card offer hardware DVD decoding?
A: I have yet to see a video card that offers full DVD decoding. Some video cards have Hardware Motion Compensation and/or IDCT which takes some of the load away from the CPU for the video decoding. Many of the ATI cards have motion compensation and IDCT as well as the nVidia GeForce based cards.

Q: Can I output audio from my DVDs to my audio and/or video receiver?
A: Yes. You can either do it by connecting your sound card or DVD decoder card to your receiver. If both your receiver and sound card offer digital audio, you can use a digital audio cable to make the connection. If digital audio is not an option you will probably need a cable with a headphone style plug on one end and two RCA style plugs on the other end (available at Radio Shack or other electronics store). The digital output should also be available on all hardware decoder cards. Some decoder cards also have an external analogue line out (if yours doesn't, you'll have to connect via your sound card's's line out).

Q: Can I output video to my TV?
A: Maybe. If you have a decoder card you will probably have the choice of connecting either an S-Video cable or a composite (RCA) cable to your TV. You can also do the same thing with software decoders as long as your video card has a TV output (either S-Video or RCA). If all your TV has is a coax input, you will have to send the video to your VCR or purchase an RF Modulator available at many electronics stores (like Radio Shack). If you experience video fading when using the VCR method, refer to the section on macrovision.

Q: Can I capture still images from a DVD using a DVD-ROM drive?
A: Yes, if you have a software decoder installed on your computer. Probably not if you have a hardware decoder (the Hollywood Plus supposedly has this ability, but it rarely works). Power DVD has a built in capture feature which works really well. If you are using another software player you will need to use a program like Hyper Snap-DX to get the shots for you.

Q: Can I capture video from a DVD using a DVD-ROM setup?
A: You can do it if you like waiting for 8+ hours (time to do an entire movie on a decent machine) and don't mind the video quality being as good as the source. There are several tutorials available on the web describing how to do this. The only problem is that this can be considered to be piracy. But I don't see any problem with it as long as you're just getting a few clips for personal use. A good place to start would be 7th Zone.

Q: Is there a way to play DVDs in a CD-ROM drive?
A: No. This would be a lot like trying to play a BETA-Max cassette in a VHS player. DVDs use smaller data pits than a CD and require a laser with a smaller bandwidth. For a good explanation of this check out this page at the Crutchfield web site.

Q: Can I copy DVDs using my DVD-ROM drive and CD-R/CD-RW drive?
A: No. DVDs use smaller data pits than a CD and require a laser with a smaller bandwidth. To do this you would need to separate the contents into smaller parts (650MB). But even then you'd need 6 or more CDs for a single DVD. For a good explanation of this check out this page at the Crutchfield web site.

Q: What's the difference between a DVD-ROM setup and a stand-alone DVD player?
A: For starters, a DVD-ROM setup requires a computer. A DVD-ROM setup offers more flexibility because you can always update software with ease in order to accommodate any DVD glitches or compatibility issues. DVD-ROM also allows for easy and free (or close to it) multi-region DVD playing as well as macrovision defeation. The drawbacks are that it can occupy your computer while playing movies (especially if it's relatively slow) and if you want to view it on your big screen, you'll need the computer relatively close to the TV.

Q: What is a good hardware DVD decoder card?
A: If you are only worried about outputting the video signal to your TV, any hardware decoder should do the job well. If you want a good picture on the monitor as well as the ability to output Dolby Digital and DTS signals to an A/V receiver, the consensus is to get the Hollywood Plus or DXR3 (which are essentially the same thing).

Q: What is a good software DVD player?
A: This is a tough question because not all software decoders work on all combinations and variations of PC hardware. The thing to do is try the trial versions to see if those work. Of course not all software decoders have a trial version available. Some of the better decoders out there are Win DVD, Power DVD, and Cinemaster. I personally have had the best luck with Power DVD and highly recommend it as a software decoding solution.

Q: What is the best DVD-ROM drive to get?
A: Many people, including myself, have had really good luck and experiences with the Pioneer slot loading drives. I have also heard very positive feedback on the Toshiba drives.

Q: What is the best DVD kit to purchase?
A: Anything that includes the Hollywood Plus decoder or the DXR3 decoder.

Q: What are the requirements to play DVDs on my computer?
A: If you are using a hardware decoder the slowest your CPU should be is 133MHz with no less than 32MB of RAM. Software decoders shouldn't be less than 366MHz (depending on the setup) and no less than 64MB of RAM. If your video card offers Hardware Motion Compensation, the CPU requirement can be reduced to 300MHz (depending on the setup). If you want to play it safe, a 500MHz with 128MB of RAM will definitely be sufficient. You will also need a sound card and a video card capable of 16bit color (high color) or 32bit color (true color).

Q: Where can I get the latest drivers and software for my decoder card?
A: You can almost always get them from the card manufacturer's website under the support section.

Q: Where can I download the latest firmware for my DVD-ROM drive?
A: The first place you should look is the manufacturer's website. You can also find many firmwares at Visual Domain and 7th Zone.

Q: How can I find out how fast my DVD-ROM drive is?
A: If you can't find it anywhere in you product manual, you can use a benchmarking tool like DVD Speed to give you a rough idea of how fast your drive is rated. The problem with these benchmarking tools is that they aren't always accurate.

Q: Can I get a remote control for my DVD-ROM setup?
A: If you are using a hardware decoder, Win DVD, or Power DVD, getting Remote Selector and a supported remote control should do the trick. Not all players and options are available with the shareware version (the latest version isn't available for public download. Among the remotes supported are the X10 Mouse Remote and the Sigma Designs REAL Magic Remote Control. If you have the Hollywood Plus with the REAL Magic Remote, you won't even need Remote Selector. However, I highly recommend purchasing Remote Selector and the X10 Mouse Remote since it uses an RF signal and can be used from another room. Remote Selector can also be useful if you want to add remote capabilities to WinAmp.

Q: How can I get rid of the Remote Selector nag screen?
A: Probably the best way to do this is to register the program, it really is worth the price. If you can't justify doing that, you can use a program like AutoAct (available at hotfiles.com) that runs in the background and will automatically click buttons for you (like the "Start Program" button in Remote Selector).

Q: What is the difference between DVD-ROM and DVD-RAM?
A: DVD-ROM uses CD-like disks while DVD-RAM uses an optical cartridge (which it can sometimes be removed from). Most DVD-RAM drives will read DVD disks, but DVD-ROM drives usually won't read DVD-RAM disks. There isn't a set standard for DVD-RAM (capacity and compatibility vary by manufacturer), so make sure you evaluate the options thoroughly before deciding to get a DVD-RAM drive.

Q: Should I replace my CD-ROM drive with a DVD-ROM drive?
A: If you don't have a DVD player of any sort, definitely. Otherwise, you will have to make your own decision on that one. DVD continues to grow, so it won't hurt to take the plunge. But if you have to search under the couch cushions for the money, waiting would be a better idea.

Q: I have a DVD that doesn't play correctly. What is the problem?
A: More than likely you have a compatibility issue with your decoder and the DVD. Often times this can be fixed by downloading the latest drivers and or software. You could also have a defective DVD. Finding the source of the problem isn't always easy, so you may have to ask others to see if anybody else has had the same problems.

Q: Why does my DVD skip at random points in the movie?
A: More than likely there is an application running in the background that is using up all of the CPU. In most cases it ends up being something like Microsoft's Fast Find or a virus scanner. If you are unsure if a program is running in the background, you can bring up the task manager by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL (be careful when deciding which processes to stop). If you are sure that nothing else is running, you may have a compatibility issue with your decoder and the DVD. Often times this can be fixed by downloading the latest drivers and or software. It would also be a good idea to make sure the disc is clean and scratch-free before going too far in trying to fix the problem.

Q: I have a question that isn't listed in this FAQ. Where can I find the answer?
A: 7th Zone is always a good DVD-ROM information site. You can also look at the documents found on the Inmatrix website. If you still can't find the answer to your question, there are a bunch of extremely helpful people in the DVD Talk DVD-ROM forum area.

[Edited by Jason Northrup on 04-02-01 at 07:46 PM]

Last edited by Jason Northrup; 07-28-03 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-02-01, 10:51 PM
Mod Emeritus

Hey, I finally updated the FAQ! In the past few months I haven't had much time to focus on DVD Talk (nowhere near the time I used to spend here).

The update is a bit later than I had planned, but it is here now. I put as many links as I could to sites that have info about the stuff I discuss.

I have also deleted all posts made to this thread (about half were nonsense, the other half were sugestions to the FAQ which have been implemented).

Let me know if there are any issues with the FAQ.
Old 04-03-01, 12:02 AM
X
Administrator

Very nice job. You should bump it regularly.
Old 04-03-01, 01:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

Thanks X!

If a couple people could look this over and let me know about any spelling/gramatical errors (I checked it out before posting, but that doesn't mean there aren't any). Once I know this is okay, I'm gonna ship an HTML version to Geoff to update the one he has posted on the main site.
Old 04-03-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very good FAQ. Short and to the point.
For the "capturing video from my DVD" I would point towards http://go.to/doom9 rather than 7th Zone.

Old 04-09-01, 07:45 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice!

Very cool FAQ! A little bump for visbility...

^^
Old 04-21-01, 10:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

Up we go
Old 05-07-01, 03:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

Bringing this out of the shade.
Old 05-27-01, 12:30 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^up we go^
Old 10-09-01, 05:38 AM

This is feedback for the webpage located at:

dvdTalk DVD ROM FAQ
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdromfaq.html

This is only a partial feedback since I was tired. Apparently, the contents of the official webpage above are slightly different from the FAQ posted in this thread. This implies that a "version number" is needed for the FAQ to help coordinate changes.

=== 1 ===
The FAQ doesn't explain what a DVD ROM and DVD ROM drive are. This should have been the first item of the FAQ. Having this means your FAQ can stand alone without requiring outside knowledge as well as being the most useful for a genuine novice to DVD ROM.

=== 2 ===
The FAQ might have an item for another commonly asked question "Can I play DVD ROM movies in my DVD player?" This really is a question asked by people new to DVD and DVD ROM. My neighbors asked it, and my parents asked it.

=== 3 ===
The word "menia" should be spelled "media". A quick way of doing a spell check is to copy all the text and paste it into a Word document. Then have Word check it. Or you can paste it into an email message and have the word checker in the email program check it for you when you try to send it to yourself.

=== 4 ===
The ordering of items in the FAQ should be changed to more logically represent a readable tutorial in which certain ideas are presented in a certain order. This enhances understanding by the general reader (which is the purpose of the FAQ).

For example, the first entries deal with Macrovision. This is a topic best following the topic "Can I Output Video to the TV?" and other related video copying topics.

=== 5 ===
The topic "What is Macrovision?" needs one more sentence for clarity. The last sentence in there leaves the reader hanging. Suggestion "If the VCR is placed between the DVD player and TV, chances are the Macrovision protection will force the VCR to mangle the signal."

=== 6 ===
The word "reciever" should be spelled "receiver".

=== 7 ===
The word "explaination" should be "explanation" in American English spelling.

=== 8 ===
The word "downmix" is used without explanation as to what this concept is.

=== 9 ===
The phrase "There is a thing call Hardware Motion Compensation..." should have the word "call" replaced by the word "called". Or better yet, delete the redundant words and simply say "Hardware Motion Compensation circuitry is included on some decoder cards to reduce processing load on the CPU."

=== 10 ===
The word "woried" should be "worried".

=== 11 ===
The word "abillity" should be "ability".

=== 12 ===
I will refrain from further feedback on misspellings until the text is run through a spelling checker such as the basic one in Microsoft Word.

=== 13 ===
The topic "Where can I get the latest drivers and software for my decoder card?" may be more informative if you list a few public websites. These websites coordinate or collect driver information:

http://www.windrivers.com/
http://www.driverforum.com/
http://pcsupport.about.com/cs/driverdownloads/
http://www.driverplanet.com/ (Startide's Favourite)

=== 14 ===
That's all for now. Time to fall asleep to a nice anime DVD. zzzzzzZZZZ
Old 10-13-01, 11:16 PM

Unless someone is using an old PC, they should be able to get better results with standard PC components than using a special kit for DVD playback. Plenty of inexpensive sound cards have S/PDIF outputs for DD/DTS sound, and many inexpensive; high quality graphics cards have S-VHS and composite outs (adapter cables can be used for component, or straight VGA for TVs that are so equipped). A standard setup also provides a sharp image when displayed on a PC monitor, unlike the decoder cards like the Hollywood and Creative (which use fuzzy-looking overlays that employ jumper cables to pipe the VGA input in and out of the decoder card).

For my HTPC, I used an Asus-based PIII-800 with a Radeon LE graphics card and a $200 M-Audio sound card (because it had Win2K support for DTS audio and a Toslink optical adapter). Very nice - no more problem with letterbox and 4:3 discs, and I can even deal with overscan by shrinking the image so that it just fits.

FYI if I'd known that a PC could do a better job at playing DVDs than an SD5109 set-top player, I'd have gone the latter route, and wouldn't have a surplus player gathering dust.

Thought I'd had my two bits.

RD

Last edited by DivxGuy; 10-13-01 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-06-02, 04:37 PM

A preliminary listing of DVDROM drives (and DVD players) compatible with discs made by the Pioneer DVR-104 DVD burner (it fits in your PC's 5.25 inch half-height drive slot) is available at:

http://www.caldrives.com/dvdrw/dvdcompatible.htm

If a DVDROM drive is not listed, then the data hasn't been tested or furnished to the website.
Old 08-08-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to this thread and other websites, I was able to make my DVD-ROM drive multi-region as it should be. Thank you, Northrup et al!
Old 03-10-03, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very cool FAQ. Thanks Jason.
Old 10-17-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent mate

Now what we need is a dvd authoring guide
Old 10-17-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Original Desmond
Now what we need is a dvd authoring guide
I second that..
Old 04-04-04, 06:58 PM

I have a machines computer with windows xp and it has a dvd burner. The problem is when I download a movie from my tv onto the computer and I try to burn it onto a dvd the dvd only holds 4.7gb and the movies are usually 8gb. So I need to know how to compress the movie to make it fit onto a dvd.
Old 04-04-04, 06:59 PM

dvd burning problems

I have a machines computer with windows xp and it has a dvd burner. The problem is when I download a movie from my tv onto the computer and I try to burn it onto a dvd the dvd only holds 4.7gb and the movies are usually 8gb. So I need to know how to compress the movie to make it fit onto a dvd.
Old 08-22-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those who wants to learn more: The mother of all DVD FAQ.
Old 01-13-10, 09:30 PM

Re: DVD Talk DVD-ROM FAQ

*This post has been deleted*

Last edited by T-900; 03-22-10 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Updated over a decade ago. Perhaps we could unsticky this.
Old 06-29-13, 07:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
updated over a decade ago. Perhaps we could unsticky this.
ok.
Old 06-29-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2 years, 2 months, 2 days later....