Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Problem playing DVDs on a Television

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problem playing DVDs on a Television

Old 12-15-00, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hooked up my computer to my television via a s-Video cable. My desktop appears as normal on the TV, but when I try to run winDVD or powerDVD, the DVD window appears as a dark space on the television, even though it looks normal on the computer monitor. I've tried altering all of the settings on my hardware and software, with no result. How can I prevent this and watch DVDs on my television?
Old 12-15-00, 05:19 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

did you change the setting so it knows to output to t.v. instead of monitor?--

right click on desktop-->properties-->settings-->advanced-->(from here it depends on your vid card. you'll know it when you see it)

--HN
Old 12-15-00, 05:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Most viseo cards with TV out should have seperate color adjustments for the TV out port. I would try that and see if it helps.

If you have just your desktop displayed (no DVD playing) how does that look on the TV? If that is not dark but things get dark when you play a DVD, you could be experiencing the joys of Macrovision.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 12-15-00, 07:37 PM

Hi,

TV out is switched on, setup seems correct, and everything except DVD playback appears normal on the TV. The window where the movie should be is just a rather unpleasant uniform brown colour. If this is macrovision or some other copyright protection issue, is there anything I can do about it??? I'm not trying to pirate the DVDs, just watch them!

AD.