Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Linksys WRT54G Router - Need help! It just... died on me.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-24-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Linksys WRT54G. My internet and cable modem are fine. I’ve been using that the past few days with it hooked directly to my tower. When I connect the router, Power light is on, WLAN light is blinking, Light with #1 under is on. Internet light is a solid on. Message comes up that says: “Limited or no connectivity: You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.” There’s an option “to restart the connection and try to establish full connectivity, click Repair.” When I click details I have a physical address, and IP address and a subnet mask. I do not have (its blank) a Default gateway, DNS or WINS Server. When I try repair I get: “Window could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address. For assistance contact the person who manages your network.” These are all the messages I’m getting. I hooked it back up just so I can type them out here word for word.

I already called the Linksys morons and they said my service was up. I needed to pay $30 if I want assistance. So I did. After 2.5 hours they did not have me go to factory settings, did not have me try any type of firmware updates. Just check for an IP, it was getting nothing. They ended up telling me to buy a new router… fuckers. I don’t know how the thing broke. Its on as if still getting a signal. It worked the night before, than the next decided not to. I have Time Warner, and knowing them, could they be sending a signal to disable router they do not supply?

Can ANYONE here help me out? I heard from a fellow member about something called Tomato and I’m researching it now. Just don’t know how it will help if I can’t have the router on or connected to be on the net, let alone install it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-24-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Linksys WRT54G Router - Need help! It just... died on me.

First thing first, use the reset button to reset the router. If you still can't get an IP, setup your computer with a static IP and see if you can connect to the router then.
Old 06-24-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Definitely reset the router and if you hold it in for 5 seconds it will restore everything to the default settings. See if that helps. I also don't think it would hurt to reboot everything in the line - computer, router and modem. (I had an issue one time where I briefly removed the router and did the modem straight to the computer. After that, the modem wouldn't recognize the router and thus establish an IP address for the computer.)

Another question, if the router is hooked up and you open up IE, can you connect to the router at all? If you type in 192.168.1.1 it ideally would bring up the router homepage. Can you do that at all?

I also suggested Tomato in the other thread thinking that the Linksys people had stepped you through stuff as basic as rebooting and resetting the router. Seeing as how they haven't, I would hold off on Tomato. I think the fine folks in Tech can get it figured out.
Old 06-25-09, 01:19 AM

Okay if trying the reset on the router is suppose to restore, I tried that several times with the Linksys people. First they had me do it for 30 secs, than 1 minute.... than 2 minutes! So it was done to death. Nothing happened, not even the lights were affected.

I cannot bring up the router hompage with the 192.168.1.1 address. That was tried as well. I got the usual website down/no internet connection error page. We also tried rebooting everything several times. Unplug this, unplug that, wait 2 minutes, etc etc. It wasnt done in any particular order though. I also do not know how to make a static IP

Sorry I forgot to note the above; its been a week already and personally, its felt like a month so I kinda forgot
Old 06-25-09, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

How old is this router? It sounds like it may be time for a new one. I have no idea how long a router should last - I hope a long time. I have a Linksys WRT54GS - had it about 6 months. I hope that it works for at least a few years before it dies!
Old 06-25-09, 01:26 PM

Are you connected wirelessly or via a wire? (If you're connected wirelessly, then you should try connecting with an ethernet cable.)

Which AV are you using?

Can you ping the router address (go to command prompt and then type in "ping 192.168.1.1")?

Any recent power outages?
Old 06-25-09, 04:09 PM

The router is maybe 5 years old by now. No older than that, but no younger than 3. It is connected from the modem by wire and the router is hooked to the tower by wire. Whats AV stand for?

I acutally did try to ping the router address and it found nothing. I kept getting "Request Timed Out"

I have power outages all the time. And did get one just before it went out. However the router still worked as I got on the net after and again early in the morning. It decided to die somewhere between 9am and 2pm.
Old 06-26-09, 04:42 PM

AV is the antivirus software.

It's starting to get out of the realm of what I would know to do, so hopefully some of the Tech people have more input on the matter.

The last thing I'll ask is if you've tried a) different ethernet cable b) the different ethernet ports on the router and c) have you tried to connect to the router wirelessly?
Old 06-26-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

You may want to try over at www.dslreports.com and look at the forums>manufactures>Linksys. If you cannot access the router by the address (192.168.1.1) then I'm not sure what it could be. By the way I have the same router and I just flashed it and it's still going strong.
Old 06-27-09, 02:20 PM

Try unpluging the router for at least a minute, then plug it back up and the reboot the cable modem and see if you can get it to work, then see if you can access the routers set up page. good luck
Old 06-27-09, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you have a firewall program running?

Also is the computer set up for dynanic IP addresses?
Old 06-27-09, 03:56 PM

Alright heres the update:

I did try different cables and different ports, tried diva's idea, and the only firewall/AV I have is Norton Antivirus.

I didnt know it was possible to connect a router wirelessly. If I just unplug the ether and see if it gets a signal that didnt work as I had it unplugged for awhile And I dont know anything about dynamic IP address.
Old 06-27-09, 04:33 PM

There is a chance that Norton is getting in the way of the computer talking to the router. If you disconnect the modem from the router, (so there's no chance of internet) then disable Norton and see if you can connect to the router.

The issue here, at least, doesn't seem to be the modem communicating with the router but rather your computer communicating with the router. Which leads me to ask, have you tried connecting the router to another computer?

And, are you saying in your post above, that when you look for a wireless network from your computer, you don't see "Linksys?" (What would be easiest is to just plug the router into an outlet by the computer and not have it connected to the modem.) And then use whatever computer you have that has wireless to search for an unsecured network Linksys.
Old 06-27-09, 07:45 PM

Ok I disabled Norton and tried again. Got nothing, same result; Limited or no connectivity.

I tried connecting the router to my laptop instead of the main computer's tower, got the same result; Limited or no connectivity.

Now I did try your last suggetion and I DID get an unsecured network Linksys from my laptop. I than connected to it but it didnt find the webpage (error/connection standard) probably cause it wasnt connected to the modem. So I guess it is getting a signal?
Old 06-27-09, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had power surges kill a router in strange ways in the past. I was getting an internal IP on one that got hit, however the WAN port was bad, so I wasn't getting connectivity between the router and the modem.

You put $30 more into that dead modem than you should have with tech support... go buy a new one.
Old 06-27-09, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Ok I disabled Norton and tried again. Got nothing, same result; Limited or no connectivity.

I tried connecting the router to my laptop instead of the main computer's tower, got the same result; Limited or no connectivity.

Now I did try your last suggetion and I DID get an unsecured network Linksys from my laptop. I than connected to it but it didnt find the webpage (error/connection standard) probably cause it wasnt connected to the modem. So I guess it is getting a signal?
Which webpage? Any webpage or the router homesite 192.168.1.1?
Old 06-28-09, 03:30 PM

I just went to a random webpage. Guess I shoulda gone to the homepage! I'll try that now than. Even if I can get to the homepage, what do I do when I get there?
Old 06-28-09, 03:37 PM

I just went to a random webpage. Guess I shoulda gone to the homepage! I'll try that now than. Even if I can get to the homepage, what do I do when I get there?
you may need set the router up again and reenter all of the information , because the router has been reset and all the information will be gone.
Old 06-28-09, 03:45 PM

I dread having to do that.

So I may have to go in and reenter all the info and the router should work? IF I can only access it through my laptop and its not even connected as TL suggest, how does it help?
Old 06-28-09, 04:25 PM

I dread having to do that.

So I may have to go in and reenter all the info and the router should work? IF I can only access it through my laptop and its not even connected as TL suggest, how does it help?
Well, what helps is that if you can connect through your laptop, you've learned one of two things. Either the ethernet ports are bad on the router or your computer is blocking the connection to the router. And you can than proceed from there to trying to reconnect to the internet.
Old 06-28-09, 05:59 PM

Well it looks like it worked. I got to the enter username and password screen pop up... only problem is I dont know what that info is! I thought I had all my shit written down, but it looks like I forgot this! Now what
Old 06-28-09, 06:04 PM

Alright I did the 'admin' password and that got me in to the router homepage.
Old 06-28-09, 06:36 PM

Awesome.

Does your laptop have an ethernet port? Can you disable wireless on your laptop and try to connect to the router? (this should answer if the problem is the ethernet port on the router or a problem with your computer)
Old 06-28-09, 06:42 PM

Yea my laptop has the ethernet port, when I try conencting directly to it, instead of the tower, it doesnt allow anything for some reason. I guess I have to disconnect the wireless on my laptop for it to work? I have no idea how to do that. I have a Dell Latitude D600 if it matters.
Old 06-28-09, 07:00 PM

When I try connecting my laptop directly into my modem I get the “Limited or no connectivity: You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources." Message. Whats up with that?

Last edited by Ravenous; 06-28-09 at 10:09 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.