DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Windows XP Authenticity Issue - Need Help! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/555125-windows-xp-authenticity-issue-need-help.html)

madcougar 05-15-09 09:16 PM

Windows XP Authenticity Issue - Need Help!

I purchased an HP Pavilion 513c several years ago from a major B&M. The computer was actually a display and I got it for a steal. About two years after I purchased it the computer contracted a nasty bit of malware. I wanted to run the recovery disc when I realized... it hadn't been packaged with the computer. It apparently wasn't partitioned onto the drive either as far as I could tell. However I took it to an "expert" who told me that it was indeed.

The guy reformatted the drive and told us he had reinstalled the original system software. Well we replaced that computer very shortly and my kids have been using it ever since.

I was going to upgrade a few programs tonight. The program updates told me that I needed to upgrade to SP3 for XP. I tried to do so and apparently Microsoft's system is telling me that the copy of Windows XP on the computer is bogus. The computer has a sticker from Microsoft with what I figure is legit product serial number for Windows XP, but the actual program is apparently pirated.

At this point I figure the yahoo I took the computer to didn't know what the hell he was doing and just copied a pirated copy of Windows XP onto my computer. The business closed down long ago.

Any ideas of what I can do to restore my legit copy of Windows XP?

bwvanh114 05-15-09 09:43 PM

Re: Windows XP Authenticity Issue - Need Help!

I think you can download or order recovery discs from HP's website.

nomaan 05-15-09 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar (Post 9447344)
I purchased an HP Pavilion 513c several years ago from a major B&M. The computer was actually a display and I got it for a steal. About two years after I purchased it the computer contracted a nasty bit of malware. I wanted to run the recovery disc when I realized... it hadn't been packaged with the computer. It apparently wasn't partitioned onto the drive either as far as I could tell. However I took it to an "expert" who told me that it was indeed.

The guy reformatted the drive and told us he had reinstalled the original system software. Well we replaced that computer very shortly and my kids have been using it ever since.

I was going to upgrade a few programs tonight. The program updates told me that I needed to upgrade to SP3 for XP. I tried to do so and apparently Microsoft's system is telling me that the copy of Windows XP on the computer is bogus. The computer has a sticker from Microsoft with what I figure is legit product serial number for Windows XP, but the actual program is apparently pirated.

At this point I figure the yahoo I took the computer to didn't know what the hell he was doing and just copied a pirated copy of Windows XP onto my computer. The business closed down long ago.

Only thing that makes your OS pirated is the serial key. if you have an original serial key sticker on your computer, you just need to change your current key with that one.

There are utilities out there. Just google for 'change winxp serial key' and you should get lots of results. Not sure if I can post the name/link to that app..

DivxGuy 05-15-09 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar (Post 9447344)

Doesn't the wizard that appears with the counterfeit product warning have a provision for entering a new product key? If so, enter the key on the sticker. If the activation fails due to the key being in use, phone Microsoft toll-free and they'll give you a new activation code. Tell them of the Certificate of Authenticity (the sticker on the case).

Once you have XP reactivated with the new code, you're free to download new updates.

sniper308 05-16-09 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by DivxGuy (Post 9447478)
Doesn't the wizard that appears with the counterfeit product warning have a provision for entering a new product key? If so, enter the key on the sticker. If the activation fails due to the key being in use, phone Microsoft toll-free and they'll give you a new activation code. Tell them of the Certificate of Authenticity (the sticker on the case).

Once you have XP reactivated with the new code, you're free to download new updates.

Exactly. I've entered the key exactly as stated here and it worked for me in the past.