Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help! Locked out of my HP laptop after updating HP ProtectTools

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-01-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have an HP/Compaq nc6320 laptop, and recently updated the HP ProtectTools components from HP's website. (The embedded security, security manager, and credential manager). I use this basically to login to WinXP Pro with the fingerprint reader.

After the upgrade, the HP login screen comes up. It does not accept my user/admin password, nor my fingerprint. (I tried logging in to XP with both Administrator and my user name.) I also get an alert box saying that the requested domain either cannot be accessed or doesn't exist. (Or something like that!)

I started up in Safe Mode, which lets me login to WinXP with my password, and cannot figure out how to disable the ProtectTools for normal login. I also cannot re-install the HP ProtectTool modules in safe mode, even though the installers are on the desktop. I get a message that it can't be done in safe mode for some reason. I opened the HP Security app, but cannot deactivate the security functions because it says there is no connection to the TPM (a hardware security chip).

I also can't seem to boot up in safe mode with networking. The black screen with 'safe mode' in the corners comes up, but no XP login window ever appears. I can only access my HD in regular safe mode.

HP online help was no help. They kindly told me I could pay $25 to have someone try to solve my problem.

HELP!

Last edited by drmoze; 10-01-08 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-01-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found this:

"f you can't find the "owner" passowrd, you can re-initialize the TPM module, but any existing credentials will be lost. As such, any saved passwords or files encrypted via TPM will no longer be assessable. If this is OK, then you'll find an option in Setup to reset the module. I don't have my laptop right now - otherwise, I could tell you exactly where it is in Setup. Post again if you can't find the reset option - should be under the "Security" menu. I think you can also reset the TPM via ProtectTools, but I'm not sure.

Once the TPM is reset, Use the Embedded Security Manager in ProtectTools to re-initialize the TPM and create new "Owner" and "Basic" passwords."

And this:

http://www.manualshark.org/manualsha.../pdf_28256.pdf

Hope it helps.
Old 10-02-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks! That's better than any ideas I could find. I'll report back on how it works out.
Old 10-06-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Update: I did get it fixed finally. The above technique didn't work exactly. I had to do several things--various reboots in safe mode, deactivating security stuff, uninstalling the security device in device manager, changing login options in the control panel, etc. I finally got to the point where I could uninstall all the HP Credential Manager and Security crap. All is well now.
Old 04-18-19, 10:07 PM

Re: Help! Locked out of my HP laptop after updating HP ProtectTools

Safe mode usually solves this problem effectively. Do you have a reset disc? Or have you tried to retrieve your password using your Microsoft account? If your computer does not recognize the disc, then you can use reset HP Laptop password without disk, such as Netplwiz, CMD, etc.

Old 04-19-19, 06:45 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty sure he fixed this problem 11 years ago...
Old 04-19-19, 05:58 PM
Political Exile

I know it's beside the point now, but couldn't system restore in Safe Mode have fixed the problem?