Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Connecting Apple Airport Extreme to WRT54G?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-18-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a new iMac which is going to replace my PC in my room. My PC does not have a wireless card, so it is hard wired to my WRT54G. The cable modem and router cannot be moved away from my room, and I need to move the PC to another room. So I bought an Apple Airport Extreme because I thought I could use it as a bridge (I think that's the correct term) when I move my PC to the other room. Plus, I liked the fact that I can print over the network and share a hard drive using the Airport.

I've searched around, and the only thing I found somewhat useful was a page describing how to connect a WRT54G and an Airport Express, but that page is almost 4 years old. The menus and settings described on that page for the Express do not match what I have for my Extreme. Some of the older sites say I need to use a custom/hacked firmware for my WRT54G, but more recent sites say that official Linksys firmware works. If possible, I'd prefer to use official firmware.

Does any know how to make all this work? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you running the latest firmware?
Old 05-18-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
are you running the latest firmware?
For the Linksys? Yes, I downloaded it today, for my WRT54G v5
Old 05-18-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not just connect the imac to the linksys? wireless networking is a pretty open standard and it should work unless the imac uses some proprietary protocol
Old 05-19-08, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The iMac connects to the Linksys with no problems. I was just hoping that I could use the Airport to connect to the Linksys, and then hardwire the PC to the Airport.
Old 05-19-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any reason why you wouldnt just use the Airport Exrteme? You can hardwire your PC into the basestation and use the wireless for your iMac.
Old 05-19-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ya, why exactly are you connecting the Airport to the Linksys?
Old 05-19-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 152 Likes on 108 Posts
Do you have a PS3 or other wireless gaming console in the house?
Old 05-19-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Linksys is in my room with my cable modem. It's going to be a hassle to move the cable modem to another room in the house. My PC doesn't have a wireless card in it, and I can't run a cable from the router upstairs to the room downstairs where I plan on putting the PC. I was hoping to use the Airport as a wireless adapter, in addition to being a print server.

AGuyNamedMike - Yes, I have a PS3, 360, and Wii.
Old 05-19-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If I understand this correctly, you want to use your linksys as the router and the airport as a wireless bridge. If that's correct, then you shouldn't have to do anything fancy to the linksys as it will, by default as a wireless router, accept wireless clients - like the airport. The trick will be getting the airport to act the way you want, which seems to be the problem. I haven't looked long on the subject, but it appears to be a dead end.

I know you don't want to flash the linksys with 3rd party firmware, but for point of reference, is there any reason why you couldn't flip the devices (airport as router by modem and linksys as bridge by pc) if you could get it to work that way?

If so, I'd say just suck it up and flash the linksys with dd-wrt (which just released v.24) and put it in client bridge mode. It really couldn't be easier and you wouldn't have to spend any more money or return any devices.

WDS might be an option on the airport, but that will effectively halve your wireless throughput.
Old 05-19-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 152 Likes on 108 Posts
If you're willing to take a leap, why not invest in a $20 USB wireless adapter for your PC, then replace your Linksys router with the Airport completely? You can then sell the Linksys on fleaBay to recoup your expense (after a couple of weeks testing to make sure everything works right with the new setup) and have a nice simple layout. You can attach the printer to your PC and share it to everything on your home network using windows, or you can move the printer upstairs to your room and attach it to the Airport and share it that way.

edited to add, pinata242 is right, dd-wrt is very easy to use (using it myself, in fact, on the same Linksys router you have), so you should probably give his idea of swapping the routers a shot as well.

Also, keep in mind that to get your game consoles to connect wirelessly to the Airport, you'll have to do some manual configuration (port mapping), as the Airport doesn't do UPnP.

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 05-19-08 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, pinata's idea sounds good. I would totally use the airport as the router and the linksys as the bridge, but everything I've read so far has the linksys acting as the router. I'll definitely look into the 3rd party firmware though. The reason I didn't want to use it at first was simply because I was completely ignorant about it.

Is using dd-wrt pretty straight forward?
Old 05-19-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Also, keep in mind that to get your game consoles to connect wirelessly to the Airport, you'll have to do some manual configuration (port mapping), as the Airport doesn't do UPnP.
When I first got the Airport, I just replaced the Linksys with it just to make sure everything worked. I was able to get my 360 and Wii to connect with no problems at all. No port mapping or anything. I didn't have a chance to test out the PS3 though.
Old 05-19-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eatntae
Is using dd-wrt pretty straight forward?
The hardest part is the install, but if you familiarize yourself with the steps (and print them out!) beforehand, you'll be just fine.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...RT54G/GL/GS/GX

Configuring a dd-wrt router as a client bridge is simple:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge (the Setup section)
Old 05-20-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eatntae
When I first got the Airport, I just replaced the Linksys with it just to make sure everything worked. I was able to get my 360 and Wii to connect with no problems at all. No port mapping or anything. I didn't have a chance to test out the PS3 though.
Yeah same here. My 360, Wii, PSP, and DS had no problems with connecting to my Airport. My PS3 is hardwired since its a 20g.