Reload this Page >

MacMini, Itunes Question..

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-08-08, 02:09 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I have a MacMini. It has a small hard drive. My Itunes music has filled it up! I also have an external back up hard drive. Can I move all of my Itunes software and music to the back up drive and have an icon on my desktop that will open itunes on the back up drive? In other words i want to get back some space on my macmini drive. I don't want itunes on it at all. Can I do this? Or just keep the itunes software on the macmini drive and when i open itunes have it access the back up drive for the music? Does this make any sense? Thanks!
Old 05-08-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can move the iTune music folder (the actual song files) to an external drive and keep the itunes software application on the Mini. You will need to show iTunes where the iTunes Music folder now resides. This is an available Pref. feature.

To me the best setup is to put the actual song files on a shared network drive. Then you can have multiple computers access the music files without replication of the song files. I use this setup so that we can access the song/movie files on all of our laptops and our daughter can access the files on her desktop.

Last edited by wlmowery; 05-08-08 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wlmowery
To me the best setup is to put the actual song files on a shared network drive. Then you can have multiple computers access the music files without replication of the song files. I use this setup so that we can access the song/movie files on all of our laptops and our daughter can access the files on her desktop.
Can you (or anyone else) explain to me how to do this? I just got an iMac, and I don't want to transfer all my songs from my PC. I'd rather just use the PC drive as a shared drive like you're describing.

If it helps, I'm running Windows XP SP3 on my PC.
Old 05-15-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
You'll want to enable simple file sharing and share the folder(s) containing your music:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxppntsh.html

Then you'll need to mount the shared folder on your Mac:
http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-o...mac-247148.php