Reload this Page >

Looking for dual-layer DVD burner recommendations

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-01-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My current LiteOn dl DVD burner drive on my pc is acting flaky, and I think it's about ready to crap out. I've had it a few years, so I'm a little out of touch on what sort of current specs to look for when selecting a new one.

I've been extremely pleased with the LiteOn - and would probably consider them a first choice. However, I have no clue what models are considered better than average. I took a peek a newegg, and most are running about $35. Holy crap, when did the prices fall that low?

I use my mine extensively, so a workhorse is a must.

thx
Old 05-01-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in the market for a new burner a few months ago and tried three different burners: a BenQ (pretty hard to find anymore), a Samsung, and a Pioneer.

I used Nero Info Tool to do some quality scans of the burns: both the BenQ and Samsung resulted in poor burns and quality issues.

(I only use TY discs and my old NEC would have quality scans well into the 90% range, so it's not the discs.)

The one I finally settled on was the Pioneer DVR115. While the quality scans were lower than my NEC, they were only lower by 2-3 percentage points.

The Pioneer may not have all the bells and whistles the other burners do, but burn quality is the most important thing to me and it does that extremely well.
Old 05-01-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Chew
I was in the market for a new burner a few months ago and tried three different burners: a BenQ (pretty hard to find anymore), a Samsung, and a Pioneer.

I used Nero Info Tool to do some quality scans of the burns: both the BenQ and Samsung resulted in poor burns and quality issues.

(I only use TY discs and my old NEC would have quality scans well into the 90% range, so it's not the discs.)

The one I finally settled on was the Pioneer DVR115. While the quality scans were lower than my NEC, they were only lower by 2-3 percentage points.

The Pioneer may not have all the bells and whistles the other burners do, but burn quality is the most important thing to me and it does that extremely well.
Thanks for the info!

I'd prefer the beige. This appears to be the same model, though for some reason it's $3 more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129017
Old 05-01-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even at $3 more, it's still a bargain.
Old 05-01-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Chew
Even at $3 more, it's still a bargain.
Just ordered it..........