Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with errors

Old 02-06-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Help with errors

My gf's laptop gets both of these errors at startup, and then randomly from then on. It was just infected with a ton of viruses and spyware which I have pretty much fixed, so I am wondering if these are remnants.

Old 02-06-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you gone into Safe Mode and scanned them there It looks there is still something left. You might try SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition. I had a problem a month or so ago and sall it mentioned on Dvdtalk and it found the problem while the few other programs I ran did not.
Old 02-06-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you haven't fixed the problems...

AVG free edition is a VERY poor performer in virus detection and removal...

free anti spyware software is the same...

they won't help you resolve this...

i would suggest two options to actually fix the problem...

back up all data, format the hard drive, reinstall windows...

if you don't wan to do that for whatever reason...

get Avira Antivir Personal Edition Premium, Link...

get Spyware Doctor, Link...

they cost $57 a year... a bargain... and provide excellent protection and detection... the best combination available really...

after downloading and updating and scanning the system... it will be cleaned up...

then run a repair to put the OS back in working order... start>run> (clear out text box) type 'cmd' (no quotes) click 'ok'... at the command line type 'sfc /scannow' (no quotes)... it will most likely ask you to insert you windows XP cd... do so and repair...

won't be as thorough as a format and re-install... but that will be as good as you get without it...
Old 02-07-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I should have mentioned in my first post that these errors were happening before the big viruses and spyware problem. Also, I have never heard anything but glowing reviews about AVG and Ad Aware. I also used TrendMicro online scan as well.
Old 02-07-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Different products bring up different things. I have 7 different spyware removal things. Will soon delete/un-install Ad Aware since it is longer being updated (the free version).
Old 02-07-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ernestrp
Different products bring up different things. I have 7 different spyware removal things. Will soon delete/un-install Ad Aware since it is longer being updated (the free version).

There's an updated free version here:

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
Old 02-08-08, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Also, I have never heard anything but glowing reviews about AVG and Ad Aware. I also used TrendMicro online scan as well.
well... not to start an argument or anything... but you've been talking to the wrong people then, just to be frank... AVG free edition is extremely poor in it's detection and removal... it's usually rated the worst there is, literally...

what i posted was accurate...

AVG is only a 'better than nothing at all' option... even the pay, professional edition of AVG is not in any way a top performer... the free edition is only a good choice in a 'that or nothing at all' scenario... even compared to other free Anti Virus programs it sucks...

Link to review...

Another example of many i could post...

the days when Spybot and Ad Aware and other free anti-spyware programs were a good solution are over... i have been using them since they came out, and there was a time when i was a fan and used the free products... i don't even bother installing them anymore... i have extensive experience with the programs saying a system, that was running nasty malware, saying the system was clean... including cases where that person's online banking was compromised and thousands of dollars were lost...

i listed the best products above... it's your call...

just thought i would clarify on AVG and the 'great' free anti spyware programs...

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 02-08-08 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-09-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone else that can actually help with these specific errors? Bear in mind I'm not even sure they are virus or spyware related.
Old 02-09-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
well... not to start an argument or anything... but you've been talking to the wrong people then, just to be frank... AVG free edition is extremely poor in it's detection and removal... it's usually rated the worst there is, literally...

what i posted was accurate...

AVG is only a 'better than nothing at all' option... even the pay, professional edition of AVG is not in any way a top performer... the free edition is only a good choice in a 'that or nothing at all' scenario... even compared to other free Anti Virus programs it sucks...

Link to review...

Another example of many i could post...

the days when Spybot and Ad Aware and other free anti-spyware programs were a good solution are over... i have been using them since they came out, and there was a time when i was a fan and used the free products... i don't even bother installing them anymore... i have extensive experience with the programs saying a system, that was running nasty malware, saying the system was clean... including cases where that person's online banking was compromised and thousands of dollars were lost...

i listed the best products above... it's your call...

just thought i would clarify on AVG and the 'great' free anti spyware programs...
From your link I decided to try Kaspersky, since it's the highest rated on the one site and has a full featured 30 day trial. Will see what that can do.
Old 02-09-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028
From your link I decided to try Kaspersky, since it's the highest rated on the one site and has a full featured 30 day trial. Will see what that can do.
Avira is considerably cheaper... and outperforms Kaspersky... i posted the links to avira and spyware doctor above...
Old 02-09-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Avira doesn't have a full featured trial from what I can see. Also Kaspersky is the highest rated on one of the sites you linked to. I will give that a shot and see where it goes.
Old 02-09-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK so I ran Kaspersky, picked up about 13 different things that no other program was getting, including a few Trojans. Ran the OS Repair as you said. STILL get these two errors when the laptop starts up:

Was really trying to avoid a reformat, but I guess now there is no way around it.
Old 02-09-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kaspersky - is excellent

AVG free is shit

NOTHING will protect you or remove everything.

You have no idea if these errors are related to a virus or spyware or not.

You know for certain you were infected with lots of shit

The only correct solution is for you to wipe the hard drive and reload windows.

I would suggest you install Kaspersky on the new windows install BEFORE you copy any data back and then be certain to only copy data (jpgs mp3s word docs excel docs etc) drop anything with an .exe on the end of it and don't copy it back.