Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Terabyte drive shopping. Please help.

Old 02-02-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Terabyte drive shopping. Please help.

I don't know much about drives or whatnot, I know that I have a lot of digital media and I plan on making a lot more. I need space for all that and considering how quickly I filled up the 200gb on this ol' Macbook of mine, I'll need a terabyte to start with. You fine folks know a great deal more about such things, so...

What terabyte drives to you have or recommend?
I'm looking for one that's fast, has a fast connection (firewire is good, but I'll take USB 2.0 is it's too pricey) and isn't louder than bombs.

Should I get an external, or buy an internal and a casing?

Anything that may be well-reviewed but, in your experience, I should avoid?

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-02-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Avoid Maxtor entirely (I'm sure we'll see a few posts which say 'Hey, my Maxtor drives have worked great'). I recommend Western Digital drives. I've had no less than 5 Maxtor drives crap out on me over 4 years. I have 4 WD drives and they are all working great. Newegg has some good prices on 1TB WD drives.
Old 02-03-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Avoid Hitachi at all costs. I've been through 4 of their Terabyte hard drives. First was DOA. The next 3 ALL shut down after 15-20 minutes of inactivity. I called Hitachi and they said they knew about the issue and that it had been reported by several customers, but that they had been "unable to reproduce it in the lab" and that they had no solution for me. In addition, the 4th drive had over 30 bad sectors that weren't mapped out. Fortunately, I hadn't deleted the data I copied onto there from the original drives, so I was able to save the corrupted data.

The Seagate I bought to replace the Hitachi has been just fine so far.
Old 02-03-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seagate all the way. I'd get two and run a RAID (0?) configuration, if possible, just in case one of the drives goes South.
Old 02-03-08, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Buffalo Terastations are supposed to be good external drives/RAID arrays.
Old 02-03-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I heartily recommend Seagate and Western Digital drives, too.

I have WD800JB 80 GB ATA-100 hard drive on my computer and it runs like clockwork with no problems in nearly three years of usage. And unlike past generation WD drives, the current generation WD drives are very quiet and have pretty decent performance, too.
Old 02-03-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't had any hard drive problems recently, WD, Maxtor, Seagate...I just buy what's the best deal.

Oh yeah, remember Seagate = Maxtor...
Old 02-04-08, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Darknite39
Seagate all the way. I'd get two and run a RAID (0?) configuration, if possible, just in case one of the drives goes South.
Hi Darknite,

You got your raid levels wrong. If you want redundancy, the worst one to chose is raid0.

If you want redundancy, it depends on the number of harddisks you want to put in your raid:

If you have 2 drives, you have to take raid 1, which mirrors both drives

If you have 3 drives or more, you can take raid 5 where 1 drive will be used as a "parity" drive, and the other disks will contain data. Any single drive can fail, and you will be able to rebuild your data.
Old 02-04-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Personally, I don't like the idea of a single TB drive. That's a lot of data to lose from a single failure. You can probably build 3 500 GBs in RAID 5 for about the cost of a 1 TB disk anyway.

That said, it's clear he's looking for some kind of external solution, and I don't really have any experience with the new generation of external drives. I do know that I had nothing but problems with PATA drives and external USB enclosures when they first started appearing -- tons of read and write failures for large operations. I suspect that's no longer an issue now.

das
Old 02-04-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Blake
I haven't had any hard drive problems recently, WD, Maxtor, Seagate...I just buy what's the best deal.

Oh yeah, remember Seagate = Maxtor...
same here

i've had drives fail from all the vendors and have never seen any difference in drives from seagate, WD or Maxtor
Old 02-04-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seagate is supposedly a bit quieter or so I've heard.
Old 02-04-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I have a lot of external hard drive (both for my personal use and job related) and I highly recommend Western Digital and their My Book line. I need firewire and the My Book has that. Also USB 2.0 for the PCs I have to deal with.

More importantly is the price. Currently, 500 GB is $129, which is a great deal.

You can save money by buying the drive & case individually, but you have to shop around and that does take a lot of time. I also have to agree with another poster that going for a 1TB drive is probably not a good idea. If you lose everything at once, it will be expensive to recover it. I would get two 500 GB drives for the same price.
Old 02-04-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Be sure and check out the Buffalo website (http://www.buffalotech.com/products/external-drives/). Their 1 TB drives have either 2 or 4 separate HDD's in the box, so you can use RAID. Lots of people have problems getting Buffalo's RAID to work correctly and so did I, so I just duplicate everything from 1 drive to the other.
Old 02-05-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Western Digital Mybook 200gb has been working without any problems the last 1 and a half years. I've been debating on getting a tb sometime within a year, and I'd probably stick with them.