Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

12+ Hour Full System Virus Scan---Is there something wrong here?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-25-08, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 768 Likes on 571 Posts

Started a Full System Virus Scan this afternoon with Norton Anti-Virus at around 12:30pm. Normally these take around 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours to complete. I decided to leave my computer on when I had to leave for work at 1:30pm with the scan not yet complete.

I just returned from work now (12:30am) and the damn program is still scanning 12+ hours later. Is there something wrong here?
Old 01-25-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm wondering if your system is downloading something that's making the scan continuously restart or rescan a sector of your hard drive?

I know whenever I've had torrent software running in the background that's made my virus scan run for a seemingly longer time before when I used to have Norton.
Old 01-25-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes there is something wrong...
Old 01-25-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something could be rewriting or downloading. Here is what I'd try:

Shut it down, head for msconfig and uncheck everything in the startup, restart, make sure your internet connection is off then try again.

If it does the same thing, hit ctr - alt - del (once) only to bring up the task manage and see what's running.

If its a process you can stop do so.

If that doesn't work try restarting in safe mode then run the anti-virus.
Old 01-25-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 768 Likes on 571 Posts
Just a little update, the scan finally finished at 1:30am. I think there were a few too many software applications running and when I closed them down, the scan sped up.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 01-29-08, 08:02 AM

If Norton AV gets minimised it defaults to running in background mode. That means it will attempt not to use any CPU or disk access except when other processes aren't using them. Thereby, so the theory goes, not preventing you from using the computer as normal.

From the sound of it that's what happened, and as a result with other applications running Norton was left doing basically nothing.
Old 02-04-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
usually with things like this one of two things is happening:

1. Software is running with select Windows components that are currently being scanned
2. Something is being downloaded and the continued process is throwing the vscan off

Norton is terrible with this. I have an IP filter that Norton had tagged as Spyware running all the time, and because it had certain Windows components that viruses usually use, it set off red flags and the scan took close to 14 hours. Dumped Norton went with something else...problem solved.