Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

XP question regarding user access and rights

Old 01-10-08, 10:33 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

XP question regarding user access and rights

Need to set up an account on a computer where the user can't install any programs or change any major configuration settings. Is there an easy way to do this o Windows XP sp2?
Old 01-10-08, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like you're trying to do something inside of a company which has restricted the user's access rights. Easiest way is to get the admin password from the admin section by hook by crook.
Old 01-11-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You need to set them up with Guest account rights.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4776.asp
Old 01-11-08, 12:51 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by danwiz
Sounds like you're trying to do something inside of a company which has restricted the user's access rights. Easiest way is to get the admin password from the admin section by hook by crook.
Actually it's for an old person who keeps installing software they know nothing of. Then I have to always go and fix it. Just need to restrict the rights. For his current problem, looks like I'm going to have to reformat his harddrive
Old 01-11-08, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My Grandpa was messing things up left and right all the time. I set him up as a Limited User account and it's been fine ever since.
Old 01-11-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Giving him a Limited Account should be fine, although you can go the extra step and make him a Guest Account. If you do either of these, make sure there's at least one other account that has Administrator access on the PC, and you'd probably want to password protect it.

Now, once there's two accounts made on an XP machine, it will by default make you choose which account to login to when booting the machine up. You can make it log into on account automatically though by opening the Run dialog box and typing:

control userpasswords2

This will bring you to the User Accounts program that was previously used in Windows 2000, which gives you a lot more tweaks than the XP one does (works in Vista too). for example, you can uncheck the "user must enter name and password" box and then click Apply, and you can then type in the user account that you want the PC to automatically boot to.

This User Accounts will also give you access to more than the three account levels in XP than the normal User Accounts in the Control Panel will give you access to. You can, for example, make someone a Power User, which will give as much access as any reasonably responsible person would need, with the exception of certain system changes and program installs that would affect them. I use this as the main account for most of my PCs, reserving a password-protected Admin account for any big changes that need to be made.

Finally, once you have two or more accounts setup in XP, XP will by default knock the user out to the welcome screen when the screen saver starts. If there isn't any real security issue with bringing the user directly back to their desktop when disengaging the screen-saver, you can changes this under the Screen Saver settings.