Ques: Word 2003, XP2 - Inserting other Word docs

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-09-07, 01:15 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have MS Word 2003, XP2 as a part of Office Professional, running in Windows XP with SP2.

Typically, if you have many Word documents and would like to combine them into one, I've been able to open up a blank document and from the menu go to

Insert--> File...

And from the Dialog box, select one or many Word documents. Upon hitting "Insert", the selected documents will, one-by-one be placed into the original blank document, resulting in one longer document.

Something has changed on my PC where now when I try to insert other documents, the first page of each document is embedded as an OLE instead of the actual test of the document. I can click on the embedded object and it brings up the document separately but that's not the normal behavior. I've logged onto other PCs and all works fine so its something on my PC. I've tried searching on MS' site as well as Google but nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-09-07, 01:55 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem Solved!

I ran the "Microsoft Application Recovery" tool from
Programs-->Start Menu-->Microsoft Office-->Microsoft Office Tools
and recovered Word. It appears to have done the trick.

I'm not sure what caused the original problem but it appears all is fine now. I have a suspicion that it has to do with Outlook as I was using Word as the Editor in Outlook and on occasion in closing Outlook, I would get a Word Error indicating that a document was corrupt. When I recovered Word, it brought up a document and I deleted it and all appears to be working now.