Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How to get a Vista Disk for new Sony Vaio Laptop?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-30-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got my first Laptop (Sony Vaio) from BB yesterday (not my first choice to buy it there but the wifey wanted it "now!") and it of course didn't come with any Disks. I see that I can buy a recovery cd from Sony for about $20 but was wondering if any of you know how I might be able to get a Vista Disk somehow for free. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-30-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

no option to burn your own recovery disk?
Old 10-30-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I believe there is. And I'll do that as soon as I can, didn't have much time to work with it before the wife got her hands on it. I hope nothing goes wrong before I can make the disks. I guess I could always "find/borrow" a Vista install Disk from someone and use my Serial to install it.
Old 10-30-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i like HP business machines

they come with plain vanilla XP/Vista disks you can use to reinstall everything yourself

your Sony probably has a recovery partition where you can press a key during bootup and it will reformat and reinstall everything
Old 10-30-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i like HP business machines

they come with plain vanilla XP/Vista disks you can use to reinstall everything yourself

your Sony probably has a recovery partition where you can press a key during bootup and it will reformat and reinstall everything
Yep, it does have something like that. I was hoping for something that would be a little more safe but really cheap. I guess there is a way to use the Vista Upgrade Anytime to reinstall Vista also, worth looking into anyway. I would have gone with Dell or HP were it up to me, but like most everything else it was up to the wife.
Old 10-30-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was just working with a FZ190 and used the recovery partition. I think the option to burn to disk ends up being a couple dvds or like 9 CD's. Yikes.

I still hate how companies don't give you discs
Old 10-30-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guess I'll just have to take the time. Not having the disks is a pain, but I think it was a pretty good deal

VGN-NR120E

Intel® Pentium® Dual Core processor T2310 (1.46GHz )
160Gb HD
1 Gig Ram
15.4" Screen

$579 at Best Buy this week.