Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Cant Install XP on my pre-installed Vista Toshiba laptop?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-15-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am pretty darn frustrated right now. I bought a laptop for 2 reason:
1- Work from home on my VPN without having to sit in my office.
2- Poker

I bought a Toshiba U305-7446
-Core 2 Duo Centrino
-160gb HD

My VPN won't work with Vista so I was planning on installing XP Pro as a second OS after partitioning my HD.

Turns out you have to wipe the drive clean first, install XP Pro, partition the drive and then install Vista. OK. No big deal.

Now I find out you can't. Went I went to get the Toshiba drivers there weren't many for XP so I called Toshiba. They dont have any more than is offered. He said I can search the internet for them but they aren't guaranteed to work.

Seems like it would take a LOT of time and that I may end up having to go back to Vista after I try installing XP.

Anyone have any ideas before I return this machine and get stuck with a 15% restocking fee?
Old 10-15-07, 04:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe if enough people return their machines Toshiba will get the message? Nah, just the retailer will take the hit I suppose.

I've done this type of thing for other notebooks and other OSs where you look for their older models using the same components and get the desired OS drivers for that model. Sometimes I wanted a newer OS version so I got the drivers for a newer model. You'll find out soon enough if they work on your model. Frequent backing up really helps.

For example, I'll bet Toshiba uses the same or similar-enough Atheros wireless chipset that you can use drivers from a model that supported XP. Or sometimes you can get the drivers from the chipset manufacturer.

But it does take time.
Old 10-15-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've done the same thing as X as far as digging up XP drivers for a Vista based laptop. For instance I had a recent HP Paviliion laptop and just attempted to install drivers for a 9000 model rather then the 9200 that i had.

I believe you can install XP in a dual boot if you already have Vista, but it seems complicated. Here's a guide:

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp
Old 10-16-07, 12:13 PM

thanks for the feedback. i read that link and while it looks complicated i may have to try it. although it scares me a bit.

i found out you can run MS Virtual PC and install XP on it but only if you have Vista Ultimate which is a $300 upgrade to the premium edition i have.
Old 10-16-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what's your VPN, Checkpoint?

my company doesn't support Vista, but since I'm IT i decided to run it. Checkpoint has a free Vista version on their website and it's easy to set up.

you can also download VMWare for free. same thing as virtual PC
Old 10-16-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, a friend of mine just bought a new Gateway laptop, with Vista. He couldn't stand it and called Gateway. They would not send him an XP setup but, for only $49.00 had him return it (they paid all shipping) and they are loading it for him.

Maybe Toshiba will do the same?
Old 10-16-07, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
what's your VPN, Checkpoint?

my company doesn't support Vista, but since I'm IT i decided to run it. Checkpoint has a free Vista version on their website and it's easy to set up.

you can also download VMWare for free. same thing as virtual PC

i click through 2 apps

1 is sonicwall to "dial in".
VNC viewer to see my PC.
Old 10-16-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would go the VMware route, much easier to do that you might think and very effective
Old 10-16-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
i click through 2 apps

1 is sonicwall to "dial in".
VNC viewer to see my PC.
http://www.sonicwall.com/us/support/3388.html

check here. also ask the IT people if they have the sonicwall clientless VPN
Old 10-17-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Had a similar situation with a couple of Dell desktops that other people had purchased that came with Vista. They wanted XP but Dell said no drivers were available for XP for, you know, minor things like video, sound, and network cards. Heh.

I just installed SiSoft's Sandra software which identifies the chipsets/components and then went to the manufacturer/vendors site and got the XP drivers and saved them to a USB jumpdrive.
Old 10-17-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

check notebookforums.com too. You may find someone with your notebook that has gotten all the correct drivers for XP (old versions, etc...) someone did with my Dell M1330 that never had XP drivers for it.
Old 10-17-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just wiped my Acer Vista machine clean and upgraded to XP. I was also able to eliminate the partitions and get 10gigs of hd space back that Acer uses for its ghost recovery crap. This eliminates the warranty, but I won't need it.

It took me days to find the proper XP drivers, which I obtained from Acer's foreign market site. Once I had those it was a two hour ordeal setting up XP. Everything works great now.
Old 10-18-07, 08:02 AM

send me an email at jsirgey [at] yahoo [dot] com and I will send you the sonicwall Vista VPN client, its still in beta but I've been using it for months without an issue.
Old 10-19-07, 10:13 PM

FYI sonicwall sent me an email today saying Vista VPN Client was released to the public today.
Old 10-19-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
thanks for the feedback. i read that link and while it looks complicated i may have to try it. although it scares me a bit.

i found out you can run MS Virtual PC and install XP on it but only if you have Vista Ultimate which is a $300 upgrade to the premium edition i have.
VMWare is free
Old 10-24-07, 04:14 PM

any of these messages from 10-18 to today went unread by me as I was in NOLA. thanks to everyone for the feedback. some of this stuff i understand, some i dont.

my admin is installing the vista client in a few minutes. lets see how it goes.