Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

error Ipod could not find the file requested....

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-02-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having a hell of a time with my ipod since I got a new computer. Installed with the disc, updated to the newest itunes, but now it won't sync or even let me manually put songs onto the ipod. I have reset, etc. Once in awhile I can get 10 songs on, or so. But then it gives me the same error.

I haven't had any luck with google, either. Any ideas?
Old 03-02-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the new computer running Vista?
Old 03-02-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

yes. Is that the problem? That would be annoying. AVG seems to have an issue with it as well.
Old 03-02-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Yup I have the same problem on my PC with Vista. From time to time I'll be able to sync my iPod but most of time, I just get an error message. Unfortunately, we have to wait for the new version of iTunes to fix that problem.
Old 03-02-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305042
Old 03-02-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk God

RAT FARTS!!
Old 03-02-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

You know, it seems like it would be very likely that some people on the Vista team and on the beta testing had an ipod, doesn't it? How the hell does this happen?
Old 03-02-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

iTunes said they're working on the new Vista compatible iTunes version. It should be out in a couple week (hopefully...)
Old 03-02-07, 06:51 PM
lxl

Well maybe MS gave free ZUNEs to the Vista Team so they stopped using iPod.
Old 03-04-07, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by lxl
Well maybe MS gave free ZUNEs to the Vista Team so they stopped using iPod.
I don't doubt it, but I can't believe most would do anything but ebay them.
Old 03-04-07, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Put some ice on it, I hear that fixes every problem.
Old 03-05-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

And how!
Old 03-06-07, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
A new version of itunes was released today/yesterday. I don't know if it resolves the Vista problem or not, but it's something to look into.
Old 03-06-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like those legions of iPod owners who have been taking Apple's advice to hold off on upgrading to Vista can finally dust off their month-old DVD cases and get their upgrade on, as iTunes 7.1 has officially been released with "a number" of the compatibility issues accounted for. According to the release notes, however, a few known problems still remain, with the most serious being the nasty possibility that your iPod gets corrupted when you go by the book and select "Safely Remove Hardware" from the taskbar to, um, safely remove your hardware. Instead, users are advised to choose "Eject iPod" from the iTunes Control menu or "Restore" if they're reading this just a little too late. Other remaining quirks include sporadic address book syncs, messed up text and graphics (resizing the window should do the trick), and annoyingly, continued lack of support for any 64-bit editions of Windows, be it XP or Vista. Meanwhile, in other news, the ten Zune owners who also rock a Mac are still waiting patiently for Microsoft to acknowledge their existence.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/06/i...er-with-vista/
Old 03-06-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
A new version of itunes was released today/yesterday. I don't know if it resolves the Vista problem or not, but it's something to look into.
sweet, that did fix my problem.
Old 03-06-07, 05:17 PM

Iím looking into an integrated headphone/MP3 player, sick of the Ipod and Itunes after countless technical difficulties and twice proving that the Ipod is just not a durable piece of equipment (if you danced like those silhouettes in the commercials you'd probably wreck your iPod). I tried out my friendsí set (http://www.hearotto.com/Products_OT3.aspx ) by a company named Otto and was pretty impressed, the sound quality is definitely better than anything Apple headphones can produce, plus the company prides themselves on creating durable products. Thought Iíd pass this along for any other Applephobes.
Old 03-06-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well I love my iPod. I've dropped it quite a few times and it's still working perfectly. I even work out often with it, no problems.
Old 03-06-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Used to be a hater, but now I have 3, so I am in for the long haul. Downloading the update now.
Old 03-06-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Didn't work

When it gets stuck, I can hear the HD in the ipod running continuously. Is that what you guys ran into?
Old 04-29-07, 06:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Bump.
Old 04-29-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since benedict was kind enough to bump this for me, I'll ask the question I asked over in Music Talk:

My C: Drive is getting pretty full, so I decide to move my 30 GB of music from there to my F: Drive. I copied the folder with all my music over and go into the iTunes options and told it the new path (Edit-->Preferences-->Advanced). Now iTunes can't find any of my music. If I manually go in and tell it where to find the particular file, it recognizes it -- but that's not something I relish doing with 5,000 songs.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

JIF suggested the following in Music Talk before the thread got locked:

Originally Posted by JIF
If you move the entire folder to the new drive, you've changed the path, hence iTunes will not be able to find it. You might have to re-add your folders to iTunes from the new drive. I don't know of a quicker method.
But that doesn't make sense to me because even though I've changed the path, I also told iTunes what the new path is. Why isn't it working?

Note that I'm running XP, not Vista.
Old 04-29-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I moved my music to an external drive about 2 weeks ago and I was having a similar problem. The issue is that the itunes library .itl file is still pointing to the old location. There are tutorials online for changing the .itl file and the .xml file associated with it, but I found the easiest thing to do was simply let itunes move the music for me.

I created a new folder, pointed itunes to it and had it consolidate the libraries; it then copied everything over and adjusted the pointers. Although, even with that, I still had 30-40 songs that I had to manually point to. Don't know if this helps, but hope it does.
Old 04-30-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm fairly positive using the "consolidate library" feature will solve your problems. However, I've never had to use it, so hopefully someone else can chime in.
Old 05-11-07, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Diabolita23
Iím looking into an integrated headphone/MP3 player, sick of the Ipod and Itunes after countless technical difficulties and twice proving that the Ipod is just not a durable piece of equipment (if you danced like those silhouettes in the commercials you'd probably wreck your iPod). I tried out my friendsí set (http://www.hearotto.com/Products_OT3.aspx ) by a company named Otto and was pretty impressed, the sound quality is definitely better than anything Apple headphones can produce, plus the company prides themselves on creating durable products. Thought Iíd pass this along for any other Applephobes.
Also they sent me a discount for 10% off the mp3 headset and free shipping, already have mine so not going to use it. It's FREESHIP.
Old 05-13-07, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
I recently moved one of my Itunes libraries to an external drive. Am I good to go ahead and delete it from my C drive now? Just thought I'd check before I start cleanin house...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.