Reload this Page >

ISP sent me an e-mail about copyright...oops - Busted by Comcast [merged]

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

ISP sent me an e-mail about copyright...oops - Busted by Comcast [merged]

Old 01-19-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ISP sent me an e-mail about copyright...oops

Should I be concerned? I actually downloaded a local TV show....I was unsure the legality on that since it was free OTA. Should I be concerned. I'm going to stop now....just curious.

I don't want to cross any lines here...
Old 01-19-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure by their definition its a DMCA violation. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm hearing about lots of people getting these for TV shows. I personally don't agree that downloading TV broadcast over the air and recorded by others is illegal to trade so I continue to do it. I traded VHS tapes for years including by mail.
At one time I thought I would never have to worry since I don't download music or movies, but it seems like the TV shows is where everyone is getting nailed. I'm currently running Peer Guardian and patiently waiting for my letter from my ISP. Until I get one I'm downloading any TV shows I want.

I think part of the problem is they now see from the iTunes store and TV box set sales how much money can be made reselling TV shows and want to stop us getting them for free. I'm sure if the networks had their way Tivos would be illegal as well. I wish they would understand that downloading an episode of the office I might miss keeps me into the show and makes me more likely to buy the DVD box set down the road. I discovered 30 Rock by downloading it and now watch it every week. Without my piracy they wouldn't have gained a regular viewer and someone that will buy that on DVD as well.

Last edited by darkside; 01-19-07 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-19-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I'm going to stop, but I just found it odd. I mean, you can go on NBC or ABC and watch a complete episode of LOST or The Office. Albeit, smaller....oh well, not a big deal. I'll stop the madness....
Old 01-19-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Ok, I'm going to stop, but I just found it odd. I mean, you can go on NBC or ABC and watch a complete episode of LOST or The Office. Albeit, smaller....oh well, not a big deal. I'll stop the madness....
When you watch it online though at their website there is some kind of ad involved. The stuff you download has the commercials cut out so its lost money in their minds. This is also why they push for things like restrictions on skipping commercials on Tivo. They are being short sighted IMO, but this is how they always think.
I still don't know for a fact that they could win this case if it went to court since these shows are being broadcast OTA, recording of shows is legal and there is no breaking of DVD encryption involved, but none of us could afford to find out.
Old 01-19-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I still don't know for a fact that they could win this case if it went to court since these shows are being broadcast OTA, recording of shows is legal and there is no breaking of DVD encryption involved, but none of us could afford to find out.
From what I understand of the TV vs VCR case of the 80s was that it was decided VCRs were legal for timeshifting purposes. Meaning you could record shows to watch that you otherwise wouldn't be able to because you weren't at home.

But just because something is broadcast over the air, doesn't meant that it doesn't have a copyright. Which means, you are still violating that copyright by distributing copies of it.
Old 01-19-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I think the e-mail said Comcast could cancel my account...which I don't see them doing since they like my $100+ /month.
Old 01-19-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
just curious.. how did you download? web, p2p, torrent, newsgroup, etc..
Old 01-19-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts
I got one of those last year for the same thing. I downloaded a TV episode that I had missed. Nothing came from it. Basically just said that they could cancel my ISP if it happens again. Like you said though, I don't really see that happening considering how much I pay Charter each month.
Old 01-19-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twikoff
I'm more curious about how fast they sent the letter after he downloaded whatever.
Old 01-19-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard of studios putting torrents of tv shows online to see who will bite

Last edited by Iron Chef; 01-19-07 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-19-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't worry about it, if they want to cancel your account let them.
Another company will be glad to have your business.
Old 01-20-07, 02:50 AM

they look like this, and it takes them around 5 days to send you one.

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized
agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made
on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The copyright
owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your
Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works
identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast
reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner
that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of
Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination
of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast
in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

Comcast Legal Response Center
Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
650 Centerton Road
Moorestown, NJ 08057 U.S.A.
Phone: (856) 317-7272
Fax: (856) 317-7319
E-mail: [email protected]

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy,
procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by
clicking on the Terms of Service link at http://www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Title: 30 Rock (TV Pilot)

Infringement Source: BitTorrent
Initial Infringement Timestamp: 28 Nov 2006 09:57:18 GMT
Recent Infringment Timestamp: 28 Nov 2006 09:57:18 GMT
Infringer Username:
Infringing Filename:
30.Rock.S01E05.Jack-Tor.HDTV.XviD-FQM.avi/30.Rock.S01E05.Jack-Tor.HDTV.XviD-FQM.
avi
Infringing Filesize: 244209664
Infringers IP Address: XX.XX.XXX.XX
Infringers DNS Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.comcast.net
Infringing URL:
Old 01-20-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts
The "copyright" owners are creating servers on places such as eMule and torrent clients, and when they have your IP connecting to one of their servers that your client is getting a packet from, they trace it, talk to the ISP, and the ISP sends you an email. The purposely put their own content on a server and list it with a torrent and eMule.
Old 01-20-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pffffft.

Don't worry about it. I can't see Comcast actually following through with anything like that. Sounds like something so they can go "Look Universal! We're helping you out so don't sue us!"

I'd suggest only using dedicated torrent servers that you know and trust and not using a search-engine type deal. That's why you got that notice, dude.
Old 01-22-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a torrent that I downloaded. I think the letter came 3.5 weeks after the D/L date (I believe the date was the 22nd...letter on the 18th the next month). It did worry me a bit though, as I don't want to be involved in any lawsuits. Not a big deal....I guess I'll just skip the programming. It actually got me interested in Heroes....oh well.
Old 01-22-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a letter like that from HBO after downloading an episode of Entourage. Oh well. After downloaded a few terrabytes of tv shows I finally get caught. I"m so scared.
Old 01-22-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
I think newsgroups are relatively safe to download from. They only info that readily available to content providers is who uploads to newsgroups. To find out who downloads them, they'd have to get an ISP to track who is downloading what from them, and then supply them with the list. I don't think that's something an ISP would do.
Old 01-22-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

YOU ARE NEXT TWICKOFF - THEY HAVE FOUND YOU!!!
Old 01-22-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm, it would suck to get one of these if someone somehow hacked my wireless network. Then no matter what they downloaded, it really could not have been me who did the downloading.
Old 01-22-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bushdog
Hmm, it would suck to get one of these if someone somehow hacked my wireless network. Then no matter what they downloaded, it really could not have been me who did the downloading.
Hmmm, that could be an excuse I use I don't even have the show in question anymore on my Pc.
Old 01-22-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bushdog

outside of court, no one would really argue. If it went to court, it would be interesting to see how that plan played out.

They would most likely confiscate your computer and wireless router, and turn it over to a forensics team. Unless you had taken "precautions" beforehand, you would most likely be screwed

I guess you could always argue that the hacker was so advanced he left no evidence behind and even made it look like your computer was really doing it instead of another one I think you would lose in court.

It's all in how bad someone wants to get you and how much money they throw at the investigation. RIAA has proven beyond a doubt that they suck and will spend any amount of money for a conviction of 12 year olds.
Old 02-06-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Help - busted by Comcast

Here is the letter I received today ... the subject was "Notice of Copyright Infringement"

Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Abuse Incident Number: NA0000002553321
Report Date/Time: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 12:10:49 -0800

(my name and address here)

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
650 Centerton Road
Moorestown, NJ 08057 U.S.A.
Phone: (856) 317-7272
Fax: (856) 317-7319
E-mail: [email protected]

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at http://www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Notice ID:xxx- xxxxx

Asset: Crank
Protocol: BitTorrent
IP Address: 69.143.68.25
DNS: c-69-143-68-25.hsd1.md.comcast.net
File Name: Crank.2006.PROPER.NTSC.DVDR-HNRDVD
File Size: 4748306638
Timestamp: 4 Feb 2007 19:35:09 GMT
Last Seen Date: 4 Feb 2007 19:35:09 GMT
URL: http://tv.tracker.prq.to:80/announce.php
Username (if available):

Now, my account as of now is still active ... The file in question was never actually completed, and was deleted .. Should I now expect the cops to come smashing down my door in the middle of the night? Any serious advice would be appreciated here.
Old 02-06-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how appropriate that the email that has feaked me out gets me this nice ad above for heart attacks
Old 02-06-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Make a run for Cananda, dude...they're gonna nail you.

I have nothing useful to add, just wanted to say hello and that I miss you.
Old 02-06-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

no the cops won't come crashing since this is a civil and not a criminal matter. next time stick to stealing pr0n since they don't seem to care about p2p. worst case is comcast can cancel you or the copyright owner can sue

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.